Issue With E5-575-33BM / Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 - mDNS not working

2»

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    When you say when you "point", what type of adapter are you using in Virtualbox, a bridged or a nat adatper for both the Wifi and the Ethernet? :)

And when you say it works with a USB do you mean a pass through USB or an atatched usb to the host?
  • dinan5
    dinan5 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
    1. Bridged in all cases.

2. USB wifi dongle. 

The problem is isolated only to the Qualcomm card. 
  • dinan5
    Will research, thanks. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>>I have a strange issue, after a reboot mDNS stops working.  I need to remove the WiFi adapter from the device via device manager and reinstall it to get it to work. >>>

(1) Is your router dual band?
    (2) Have you tried restarting the router instead?
    (3) Is the wifi card set to no preference band? If yes, have you tried 2.4 & 5 GHz settings only?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    So the reason its not working exactly is its not offically supported, it works, buts its hacky ( https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87190#:~:text=The problem is in the,s) to share the device. ) same as in vmware workstation. 

From the VBox guide: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#network_bridged  

Bridging to a wireless interface is done differently from bridging to a wired interface, because most wireless adapters do not support promiscuous mode. All traffic has to use the MAC address of the host's wireless adapter, and therefore Oracle VM VirtualBox needs to replace the source MAC address in the Ethernet header of an outgoing packet to make sure the reply will be sent to the host interface. When Oracle VM VirtualBox sees an incoming packet with a destination IP address that belongs to one of the virtual machine adapters it replaces the destination MAC address in the Ethernet header with the VM adapter's MAC address and passes it on. Oracle VM VirtualBox examines ARP and DHCP packets in order to learn the IP addresses of virtual machines.

Its not that it can never work its just it doesnt really work very well, so for things like mDNS it can be a nightmare to get it stable

There is a bit of a compatability list avialable here : https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56236 but i would recomend doing USB pasthrough for the adapter and then make that soley available for the Guest.  ( I know your pain, I work with VM's all the time T_T )
  • dinan5
    Thank you. I am familiar with this article and I've spoken to numerous people about it. This works on all of my other PCs and with another Wifi adapter on the ACER pc.  Additional multicast isnt working on straight windows on the ACER via wifi, so the VB bridged wifi issue is a red herring. 
  • JackE
    Check the band response if you have a dual band router. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    My belief is it is s driver issue.
  • dinan5
    Router is triband.  Forced 2.4Ghz, same issue.
  • JackE
    What happens when you reboot the router instead of fussing with wifi driver? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    Same issue after router reboot.  its less disruptive for me to fuss with the adapter honestly. 
  • dinan5
    Leostat - I am going to going to keep playing around with this, but I now think you are correct.  Basically compatibility with this adapter/driver and VB. 
  • JackE
    Five final suggestions to try unless any more pop up later.

(1) Turn fast boot on or off

(2) Download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it'll pick up anything better online. There are other driver tools you  could try but this seems about the best freeware in my experience.

(3) Google the keywords 'QCA9377' & 'replacement'. Choose an Intel and/or other card that folks seem to be happier with. They're all pretty cheap.

(4) Try running another Windows flavor.

(5) Leave the machine in sleep mode when not in use; iow don't re-boot.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    Jack - Thanks so much for all of your help and engagement.  So, I do the following:

1. Run the PC constantly (its an automation platform)
    2. Keep a Ethernet cable plugged in.

I will most likely replace the card as you suggest.

Thanks again.

Steve
  • JackE
    Almost forgot #6, the one I've always used for Mint, Win10 and wireless communication between WinXP, Win98se & SuSE guests using the last VMWarePlayer version. 8^) Good luck. Jack E/NJ

(6) Router MAC filtering.

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    To close this out, I installed a TP-Link USB WiFi dongle and 5 minutes later, problem solved. Thanks folks!
  • JackE
    >>>It works fine with Ethernet adapter or a USB WiFi adapter. >>>

Closeout? Isn't this where you started?   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    Works fine with Ethernet and new USB, which means the issue is the Qualcomm QCA9377 driver. I've disabled it.