Issue With E5-575-33BM / Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 - mDNS not working

dinan5
dinan5 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
Hi:
I have a strange issue, after a reboot mDNS stops working.  I need to remove the WiFi adapter from the device via device manager and reinstall it to get it to work.  It works fine with Ethernet adapter or a USB WiFi adapter.  The issue only happens with QCA9377.  Driver is 12.0.0.7222. Windows - 10.0.19041.  Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    So the reason its not working exactly is its not offically supported, it works, buts its hacky ( https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87190#:~:text=The problem is in the,s) to share the device. ) same as in vmware workstation. 

From the VBox guide: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#network_bridged  

Bridging to a wireless interface is done differently from bridging to a wired interface, because most wireless adapters do not support promiscuous mode. All traffic has to use the MAC address of the host's wireless adapter, and therefore Oracle VM VirtualBox needs to replace the source MAC address in the Ethernet header of an outgoing packet to make sure the reply will be sent to the host interface. When Oracle VM VirtualBox sees an incoming packet with a destination IP address that belongs to one of the virtual machine adapters it replaces the destination MAC address in the Ethernet header with the VM adapter's MAC address and passes it on. Oracle VM VirtualBox examines ARP and DHCP packets in order to learn the IP addresses of virtual machines.

Its not that it can never work its just it doesnt really work very well, so for things like mDNS it can be a nightmare to get it stable

There is a bit of a compatability list avialable here : https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56236 but i would recomend doing USB pasthrough for the adapter and then make that soley available for the Guest.  ( I know your pain, I work with VM's all the time T_T )

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    >>>I need to remove the WiFi adapter from the device via device manager and reinstall it to get it to work. >>>

Uninstall it again. But exit DeviceManager without reinstalling. Then open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do'in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and change the box for 'fast startup'. Shut down Windows normally. Then reboot and allow Windows to re-detect and auto install the driver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    Sorry, it didn't work.
  • dinan5
    In fact, now the only way i can get this to work is via Ethernet or USB WiFi adapter. 
  • JackE
    Open Device Manager again. Do you see any red or yellow warnings? If not, do you see the wifi driver still listed in the 'network adapters' folder? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    No errors, same driver loaded.  Let me give you a bit more detail.  I am running virtual box on top of win10 and I have an app under VB that uses mDNS for discovery of Chromecast devices.  When I point the virtual network adapter to the Wifi card, discovery fails, when I point it to the Ethernet card it works. Reinstall after a reboot used to fix it, now it fails continuously.  Thanks for your help.
  • JackE
    >>>Reinstall after a reboot used to fix it, now it fails continuously>>>

Have you tried to re-seat the card a few times to help clean its contacts with the mainboard m.2 socket? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    Will give it a shot. thank you.
  • JackE
    Also pull-off/push-on the main & aux antennae coax connectors a few times. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    Thank you again, still no change.  I reading through other posts, these procedures seem to address situations where the WiFi card drops intermittently.  Mine is connected 100% percent of the time, but certain traffic isn't being passed.  I suspect a software issue, either the driver or the OS.
  • JackE
    >>>In fact, now the only way i can get this to work is via Ethernet or USB WiFi adapter. >>>
    >>>Mine is connected 100% percent of the time, but certain traffic isn't being passed.>>>

Confused. Does it work or not work 100%? Better explain what you mean by 'certain traffic not being passed'. What certain traffic? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    mDNS traffic is not being passed.  Copying and pasting from earlier in thread and bolding, thanks.

"I have a strange issue, after a reboot mDNS stops working.  I need to remove the WiFi adapter from the device via device manager and reinstall it to get it to work.  It works fine with Ethernet adapter or a USB WiFi adapter.  The issue only happens with QCA9377.  Driver is 12.0.0.7222. Windows - 10.0.19041".

"No errors, same driver loaded.  Let me give you a bit more detail.  I am running virtual box on top of win10 and I have an app under VB that uses mDNS for discovery of Chromecast devices.  When I point the virtual network adapter to the Wifi card, discovery fails, when I point it to the Ethernet card it works". 

multicast is not working, all else works.  happens only on wifi card.
  • JackE
    >>>I am running virtual box on top of win10>>>

Thanks for that bit more detail.   :)   Has it always behaved strangely under VB, more or less? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    Thanks for sticking with me. At first I suspected VB, but i tried a ping under windows using localhost and it didn't resolve using wifi.  it did resolve using Ethernet.  Therefore I don't think it's VB. 
  • JackE
    Has it always behaved strangely like this one way or another? Or has it gotten much worse? And about when did it get much worse? An approximate date would be good?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    Honestly, I am not really sure.  I was running the discovery service on a different box.  I moved it to the Acer, it didn't work and that's when I started paying attention. I do not believe it was always like this, but I don't know what the trigger is.

This link may give you another feel for the issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/101168/mdns-not-sending-queries-to-the-network.html
  • JackE
    >>>I was running the discovery service on a different box.>>>

Do you know which Windows version was the host on the other machine? For example, Win8x or Win10-1909 or Win10-2004 or etc)?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    Win 10 Enterprise 19042
  • JackE
    Win10 Home still on the ACER? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dinan5
    That is correct. 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    dinan5 said:
    Hi:
    I have a strange issue, after a reboot mDNS stops working.  I need to remove the WiFi adapter from the device via device manager and reinstall it to get it to work.  It works fine with Ethernet adapter or a USB WiFi adapter.  The issue only happens with QCA9377.  Driver is 12.0.0.7222. Windows - 10.0.19041.  Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried the QCA9377’s WiFi driver version 12.0.0.953 named “win10-12.0.0.953-whql.zip” and the te BT driver version 10.0.0.714 called “bt-10.0.0.714-win10.zip” from theUnofficial Qualcomm Atheros drivers websitewhich is the best site for all Qualcomm drivers. Uninstall both drivers completely and then reinstall the new drivers, try that,