X34GS AdaptiveSync Black screen issue - Flickering

majestyNL
majestyNL Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
I just received this monitor but it has issues with AdaptiveSync. When playing games and FPS dips below ~60 in menu's etc the screen goes black and comes back continuously. When turning off AdaptiveSync it has no issues. This is a well know issue and probably can be fixed by ACER with a firmware update. This is a new monitor and i think many users who will get this monitor will report this issue soon.
Some games have settings to Framelimit the menu to a higher FPS, then the issue is gone. In game i have no issue because of a constant FPS above 140! 

Acer please fix this or i need to sent it back. Dont want to do this cause the monitor is other then this awsome.

Using a 6900XT with AdaptiveSync enabled!

Answers

• majestyNL
    edited February 2021
    Update: No issue when connecting it with a HDMI cable. (As most of users on internet with same problem but different manufactures!)

Using HDMI is no option because of the lower specs...
  • majestyNL
    edited February 2021
    Update 2:

- Found a review video of this product and asked the guy to test with AMD GPU. He just confirmed the issue!! Check comments section.

https://youtu.be/EG5RFhbbnS4

- Found another person on AMD forums exact with same issue:

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-3d-discussions/6900xt-gives-black-screen-3440-1440/td-p/435002

As thought before. This issue is bigger then only my panel!!!

I personally get the feeling acer support in Netherlands doesn't take me serious enough.
    This is a new product and their eye catcher for the widescreen displays. With such a big issue on AMD gpu's i would suggest they take this more serious.

Is there a way I can reach the global technical support team ?
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited February 2021
    majestyNL said:
    Update: No issue when connecting it with a HDMI cable. (As most of users on internet with same problem but different manufactures!)

what is the monitor refresh rate and resolution settings on the unit. 

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • majestyNL
    edited February 2021
    What tochristy1 said:
    majestyNL said:

Have tried many resolutions and refresh rates.

But most test where done at 3440 x 1440 @ 144 and 180hz! 

But with HDMI you can go max 120hz. 

Ps: your link is what I used, it brings you to your own country cause when filling in the form you need to choose where you from :(
  • christy1
    majestyNL said:
    What tochristy1 said:
    majestyNL said:

Ps: your link is what I used, it brings you to your own country cause when filling in the form you need to choose where you from :(

please provide the 1st 10digit of the sn number. 
  • majestyNL
    Is this oke ?

• majestyNL
    edited February 2021
    christy1 said:
    majestyNL said:
    What tochristy1 said:
    majestyNL said:

please provide the 1st 10digit of the sn number. 
    See above. Forgot to quote. If not enough i can more characters.. the serial included alphabet and not only digits. A bit confused 🤔

Edit: just to be sure these are the first digits after the alphabetic characters:

xxxxxxxxx then continues with alphabetic again.

But if you mean the SNID numbers it's:
    xxxxxxxx

[Edited comment to delete personal or unique information]
  • majestyNL
    edited February 2021
    Full SNID: xxxxxxxxxxxx

[Edited comment to delete personal or unique information]
  • majestyNL
    edited February 2021
    Is there a way I can contact a ACER rep over here? Or are we left to help each other ? 
  • christy1
    edited February 2021
    majestyNL said:
    Full SNID: xxxxxxxxxxxx

[Edited comment to delete personal or unique information]
    (UW-QHD)3440 x 1440@144 Hz that the recommended resolution and you have it. lets wait for the legends to picth in for suggestion.
  • majestyNL
    edited February 2021
    Tried all resolutions. It's a problem with Freesync/ adaptive Sync. It's a well known thing. Other manufacturs like samsung did had same issue..

When it comes below the range it shuts off the sync technology and monitors who aren't optimized are going to a black screen for a split of a second.  

Needs to be fixed by ACER. Im afraid it can be fixed without a firmware update. :(
  • christy1
    @billsey
    any suggestions? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    And one of the bigger issues is that they don't seem to have an easy way to do firmware updates. By default they want to have you send the monitor back to the repair depots. They found a workaround for one model, but I have seen no indication that could be applied to other models with just a different firmware package.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • majestyNL
    edited February 2021

billsey said:
    And one of the bigger issues is that they don't seem to have an easy way to do firmware updates. By default they want to have you send the monitor back to the repair depots. They found a workaround for one model, but I have seen no indication that could be applied to other models with just a different firmware package.

Then they have a big issue.. this means a recall. Maybe it's better for me to sent it back to Amazon then. Really a fail!
  • majestyNL
    Update: Sent it back to ACER. Hope they can fix it there and this won't take that much time. But I'm afraid they first needs to diagnose the issue, then find a solution and test before baking a new firmware. :( So sad they didn't this before sending our to retailers!!!!
  • christy1
    majestyNL said:
    Update: Sent it back to ACER. Hope they can fix it there and this won't take that much time. But I'm afraid they first needs to diagnose the issue, then find a solution and test before baking a new firmware. :( So sad they didn't this before sending our to retailers!!!!

sad. but hope you updated them the info as you know the exact issue as of now. 
  • majestyNL
    Yeah did report everything. Let's hope they will admit the issue and it won't take long for a solution. But I'm afraid ... Will update over here.. thanks!
  • christy1
    majestyNL said:
    Yeah did report everything. Let's hope they will admit the issue and it won't take long for a solution. But I'm afraid ... Will update over here.. thanks!
    Sure. Good luck
  • Vanquish
    Vanquish Member Posts: 1 New User
    majestyNL said:
    I just received this monitor but it has issues with AdaptiveSync. When playing games and FPS dips below ~60 in menu's etc the screen goes black and comes back continuously. When turning off AdaptiveSync it has no issues. This is a well know issue and probably can be fixed by ACER with a firmware update. This is a new monitor and i think many users who will get this monitor will report this issue soon.
    Some games have settings to Framelimit the menu to a higher FPS, then the issue is gone. In game i have no issue because of a constant FPS above 140! 

Acer please fix this or i need to sent it back. Dont want to do this cause the monitor is other then this awsome.

o
    sing a 6900XT with AdaptiveSync enabled!
    Have had this monitor for a few weeks, same issue. Flickers off, it drives me crazy. Restarting PC fixes it for awhile. LMK when you hear back.. Might need to return it.
  • christy1
    edited February 2021
    Vanquish said:
    majestyNL said:

o
    sing a 6900XT with AdaptiveSync enabled!
    Have had this monitor for a few weeks, same issue. Flickers off, it drives me crazy. Restarting PC fixes it for awhile. LMK when you hear back.. Might need to return it.

it need not be the same in your case. try the troubleshooting and then decide. Try to reinstall the display drivers and the above steps.
    Easy Ways to Update NVIDIA Display Driver in Windows 10  Password Recovery

This discussion has been closed.