Aspire R14 won't turn on, a blue light blinks when the AC is plugged

Options
13»

Answers

• abtahar
    abtahar Member Posts: 33

Tinkerer

Options
    Do I really need to put the back cover to test? It takes time and there is risk to dommage some thing !
  • abtahar

Tinkerer

Options
    I reassembled every think except the screws of the back cover, the battery LED doesn't react to the battery reset button.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options
    With the battery removed, can you find any location on the mainboard that might be marked "2001" in white letters? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Options
    Unfortunately I couldn't find it !
  • JackE
    Options
    The "2001" lettering would probably be around where the RAM is soldered to the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Options

Here is a photo of my laptop's motherboard can you see it ?
    Is it on the other face ?
  • JackE
    Options
    If 2001 jumper is on this face, it would be hidden under the black soldered RAM insulator shown below. Carefully peel off the insulator to see if it's on this face. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Options

I took off that insulator and still cannot see any switch !
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. 2001 is not a switch. It's a jumper that would look like JP0701 and JP0702 that are labeled as shown below. But would have a label like JP2001.  I don't see it either. So perhaps it's on the other face of the mainboard. Even if we can reach the 2001 jumper, there are no guarantees that accessing it by the technique described in the specifications will help solve the issue. But if you can find it, then we can try. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Options

Hi JeckE,
    Here is a photo of the revert side of the motherboard I didn't find the j2001 jumper ! Can you see it ?
  • JackE
    Options
    Can you lift plastic cover off chips? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Options
    Can you, please, circle them on the image?
    because there is no plastic cover, only the large steel plate, that is not liftable! 
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, I zoomed in and scanned the whole image for 2001 without success. I can see two that are partially hidden by the copper thermal module but they're not where I'd expect 2001 jumper to be. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Options
    What do you suggest to do now?
    Could it be a planned obsolescence?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I was working on it (Charger not plugged in) when suddenly the screen freezes>>>

Unless you changed the advanced power plan fan setting, the default on battery alone is usually set to passive convection CPU/GPU cooling. Screen freezing or throttling behavior suggests that the CPU might've overheated without the fan being on. But should've recovered on cooling. Is this the first time this happened? Or has screen freezing or automatic shutdowns happened  before? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Options
    I haven't changed the advanced power plan fan setting, I don't even know how to do it!
    It's the first time I had this problem!
    It could be the cooling because my son was holding the laptop on his knees
    but if it is the case, it should start after it is shut down, no?
  • JackE
    Options
    Overheating usually happens when the laptop is repeatedly placed on a soft surface like a sofa, mattress or bedspread in which the air cooling ducts/gratings on the bottom and sides can become restricted. Does not usually happened if only placed on the knees unless somehow the ducts were blocked by baggy pants? But the laptop CPU/GPU does seem to have suffered heat damage from the symptoms described and the unsuccesful tries to fix it so far. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Options
    Do I need to change the motherboard ?
    And if I change it does it fix the problem, because I need to work on the laptop!
    Thank you
  • JackE
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Yes, another motherboard will likely fix the issue. But not sure if it's worth the cost. Prices vary between about $100 to $300 depending on if used, new, refurbished or an i5 or i7 cpu. The data on the  SSD card probably can be saved by transferring the files to another computer using a usb-to-m2 card adapter. Since it's difficult for me to guess what the exact problem is without having the machine in front of me, you might want to try to get an evaluation and estimate from a local shop since Montreal seems to have some highly-rated pc repair shop. Sorry I can't be of more help. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you very much JackE for your time and advise, I appreciate.