Aspire R14 won't turn on, a blue light blinks when the AC is plugged

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Remove the charger. Still with back cover on and battery and SSD disconnected. Then press & hold the power button again for about a minute. Then plug the charger back in. Is the LED still blinking now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar
    abtahar Member Posts: 33

Tinkerer

Yes, the power LED is still blinking.
  • JackE
    Did you see the lithium coin cell BIOS battery on the motherboard when you disconnected the battery pack and SSD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Yes I can localize it 
  • abtahar

Tinkerer

it's shown in yellow
  • JackE
    Please disconnect the coin cell battery red/back wire connector from its mainboard pins. Check that the coin cell output is still well above 3.1volts dc. Then short mainboard pins with a screwdriver blade or suitable metal spanner for about 10 seconds to discharge the BIOS. Reconnect the coin cell connector to the mainboard. Then with back cover put back on and battery and SSD still disconnected, plug the charger back in. Is the LED still blinking now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

I disconnected the CMOS battery, it was dead, so I replaced it with a new one,
    I discharged the BIOS with a screwdriver for more than 10 seconds.
    I reconnected the CMOS battery to the motherboard, put back the cover (without the screws),  Battery and SSD NOT connected.
    I plugged the charger 
    The Power LED still blinking!
  • JackE
    OK. Unplug the charger. Reconnect the battery pack & SSD. Then screw the bottom cover back on. Plug the charger back in. Do both power and battery charge LEDs now blink or light up? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Every part is back to its place, but the situation is still the same; with the charger on, the power LED flashes with a blue light at a frequency of 2 seconds and the battery LED is OFF.
  • JackE
    >>>I was working on it (Charger not plugged in) when suddenly the screen freezes, then I plugged the charger till the morning. >>>

Did you notice if the power LED was blinking immediately after the screen froze? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

Actually it was my son and my wife who were using the laptop when the happened, I was sleeping :)
    I used the "I" just to not complicate the question!
    They didn't notice that
  • JackE
    The charger's voltage output needs to be checked with a multimeter between its plug's outer ring and center connector. Should be about 19volts dc. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

I checked with a multimeter the voltage between the outer pins, I found 1 volt only.
  • abtahar

Tinkerer

Hi JackE,
    I bought a new AC adapter (see link below), but the situation is the same; power LED blinking blue.
    I checked the voltage of the adapter and it was fine 19.23v.
    Here is the link of the new adapter: 
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00IT6FRU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TA1WWYQY6VQ4VYHXEK23?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 
    the jack that connects to the laptop is slightly shorter the original adapter.
  • JackE
    Remove the charger. Disconnect the battery from the mainboard. Can you find a spring-loaded switch on the mainboard that lines up with the reset pinhole on the bottom case? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

If you mean the reset button of the battery, then yes I can see it.
  • JackE
    Flick the switch button a few times with your fingernail to help clean its contacts inside. It should fully on when the button is released. Then search for another spring-loaded switch that might be located on the mainboard near the soldered RAM chips. This is a safety interlock switch on some mainboards that must be fully depressed by the bottom cover when properly installed. If the bottom cover is not properly installed or mis-aligned with this switch, all power is cut to the mainboard. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• abtahar

Tinkerer

I flicked the reset button of the battery and it works fine, I can hear a click sound when I press it and release. 
    But there is no other spring-loaded switch on the motherboard or I didn't find it ! (See attached photo of my laptop's motherboard, the battery is detached).
    Is it possible to check if the motherboard is working fine with a multimeter ?
  • JackE
    Probably no real good way to test mainboard with multi-meter. Try this. Re-assemble everything. Then plug the charger back in. Does the battery charge LED blink or light up when you repeatedly press & release the reset button on the bottom?

Jack E/NJ