BSODs in specific games after installing new samsung ssds in Predator Triton 700

Cheemr
Cheemr Member Posts: 6 New User
Hi everyone!

Recently my original ssds on Triton 700 failed and I had to swap them for new ones. I bought two 1tb samsung 970 evo ssds. First thing I noticed is that they were not picked up by the hardware raid 0 and were recognized as separate disks. Since I want them to run in raid 0 configuration, after reinstalling windows I downloaded intel's RST driver and optane memory and storage tool. I created a raid 0 volume there and it seemed to be working fine.

However, initially I didn't use acer's care center to install all the necessary drivers, so I have been manually installing them from their website. Even after I manually updated all the drivers, some specific games (Sea of Thieves and Genshin Impact so far) would randomly result in BSODs after about 20 minutes of gaming. Other games as well as other workloads do not cause this issue. I thought it was a driver issue, and after a lot of pain found out about acer care center's recovery option. I reset the system, hoping it would help with the BSODs. Unfortunately, Sea of Thieves still crashed Windows after the reset, so now I am thinking this may be related to the new ssds. The code for the BSOD was KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I also have a memory dump file from the crash, but I am not sure how to post it here, since its over 2gb in size.

I was thinking that maybe the firmware on the drives is what's causing the issue, but samsung's magician utility does not recognize the drives (I assume because of the Intel raid). Even then, the firmware on the drives is the one before the latest.

Does anyone have any ideas why the BSODs are happening only in specific games? Maybe it's the Intel's raid? Or outdated firmware/drivers for the ssds? Or just faulty disks themselves? If its the first or second option, could you give any tips on how to undo the raid and/or update the firmware on the disks?

Thank you!

Answers

• Hi,
    Try disabling Fast start up in Power options and see whether it resolves the problem.

• The samsung magician will only identify the ssds and allow the firmware update, if the sata mode is in ahci mode. It is not possible to update the ssds firmware when in raid mode. See this link as well: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x1e--kmode-exception-not-handled
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cheemr
    I have identified why 2 BSODs are happening after running windows driver verifier a bunch of times (broke something in the process and had to do another windows reinstall).

First driver that was caught by the verifier was razer’s driver for Razer Synapse (used for my headset).

Second driver caught was iocbios2.sys, which is from Intel’s XTU. Funny thing is that I did not install this driver myself, it was packaged with Predator Sense. This post helped me with deleting this driver: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/601610

The remaining BSODs that I am getting are SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys) and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (ntoskrnl.exe and nvlddmkm.sys). Driver verifier did not catch any errors from my NVIDIA driver. I tried clean installing both acer’s provided driver and the latest one available for my GPU on NVIDIA’s website. None of these things worked for me. The temps on the GPU do not go over 90C (about 87C in Sea of Thieves), which shouldn’t be an issue from what I have googled.

I am out of ideas for what’s causing the remaining BSOD’s. Any insight would be appreciated! 

EDIT: Just got the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD again and had to restart 3 times with "No bootable device" screen before I was able to boot into windows. I also saw that iRST reported one of the drives failing sometimes and I saw this post about a guy upgrading with the same ssds and how one of the drives would fall out of the raid array: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/551183/samsung-evo-970s-and-predator-triton-700 
    Could this be the problem?
  • Cheemr
    Besides other things I already listed, I managed to fix this fresh KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD with updating Killer Wireless Network Adapter driver through Windows device manager. Now I am back to SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.
  • Cheemr
    Hi,
    Try disabling Fast start up in Power options and see whether it resolves the problem.

Hi!

Unfortunately, I don't think this changed anything with regards to the BSODs I am having. I listed some new information in my previous messages.
  • Does the same problem occur when you unmount the array?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cheemr
    Does the same problem occur when you unmount the array?
    How do I unmount the array?
  • Back up all your files. Then, download the windows 10 iso. When installing windows, press shift + f10 and type:
    diskpart
    list vol
    sel vol x (you must select the raid volume)
    delete

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Cheemr
    Back up all your files. Then, download the windows 10 iso. When installing windows, press shift + f10 and type:
    diskpart
    list vol
    sel vol x (you must select the raid volume)
    delete
    I have a usb with windows installation media. Would that work as windows iso? Also, at what exact point during the download should I press shift + f10
  • You must press shift + f10 here:
    Resultado de imagem para instalao windows 10

egydiocoelho Trailblazer