Samsung EVO 970's and Predator Triton 700

Options
OliverM3
OliverM3 Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hey guys/gals has anyone had any luck with the EVO 970's in the Triton 700? It was easy enough to swap and install the two 500gb nvme m.2's in raid 0 and reinstall everything but they drives keep dropping out of the raid array and hanging up during boot. I even went through the hassle of putting them both in my desktop to update to the latest firmware.

Do you think I have a bad one or is there compatibly issues with the EVO 970's?

Thanks for any help this is driving me nuts I've formatted and reinstalled after trying different things about 5 times now.

If they aren't compatible does anyone have any recommendations on nice fast 500's that I could use instead? 

Thank you for any help.

Oliver 

Best Answer

• OliverM3
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok everything is back up and reinstalled. I have about 20 reboots in so far just to see if anything drops like the Samsung's did and the Intel's seem ok so far.

I figured I'd do a test before creating the array for single disk Intel 760p's performance. It's not drastically different but who know how good the raid stripes the data across the disks.  Still the performance is overall better than the original LiteOn drives that the system comes with.

I'll keep you posted if I do start losing disks but here are the results.  

Single Intel 760p

Raid-0 with two Intel 760p's

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It supports sim ssd nvme in raid 0:

If it continues to exit the raid array, check whether this can help you:
    Verify that your BIOS is in UEFI mode, if it is, when you delete the array, the CTRL-I will no longer be available.
    Then you should go back to legacy mode with RAID as SATA device and press f10 to save and exit!
    On the next CTRL-I boot it will be available again
    set your ARRAY
    Exit the bios and re-enter the BIOS and set the UEFI
    make sure SATA is still RAID and press f10 to save when exiting and reinstall windows!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • OliverM3
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It supports sim ssd nvme in raid 0:

If it continues to exit the raid array, check whether this can help you:
    Verify that your BIOS is in UEFI mode, if it is, when you delete the array, the CTRL-I will no longer be available.
    Then you should go back to legacy mode with RAID as SATA device and press f10 to save and exit!
    On the next CTRL-I boot it will be available again
    set your ARRAY
    Exit the bios and re-enter the BIOS and set the UEFI
    make sure SATA is still RAID and press f10 to save when exiting and reinstall windows!

Thanks they are both the same new Samsung m.2 NVMe 970 EVO's. The predator-triton-700 has no bios options to change the raid lvl or uefi mode and there is no ctrl-I option available. It did build in UEFI mode and I do see the EFI partition. But it still drops out or locks up at boot saying no boot device.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Does bios correctly identify ssd's correct? If it appears correctly, have you converted the ssd's to gpt so that they are recognized in uefi mode? That may be the problem, because uefi only recognizes the hd or ssd converted to gpt!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • OliverM3
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Does bios correctly identify ssd's correct? If it appears correctly, have you converted the ssd's to gpt so that they are recognized in uefi mode? That may be the problem, because uefi only recognizes the hd or ssd converted to gpt
    Yeah everything works fine I installed the OS and a bunch of games and was running it for a couple days the issue is on reboot one of the SSD's drops out of the raid array. I can reproduce the issue by just constantly rebooting after about 10 reboots it will say no boot device found or it will boot to the os and one of the m.2 is not detected and there is file corruption/missing files. I have my original liteon m.2's in there now and it's perfectly fine I can reboot over and over without any issues. I thought maybe it's a compatibility with the 970's and raid 0 or possibly a defective one? But Samsung Magician detects no errors on the drives.
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Is the intel sata driver up to date? Have you tried out if, by disabling the quick startup in the power options, the problem is solved? Since you have a ssd, you do not need to enable quick boot!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OliverM3
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Is the intel sata driver up to date? Have you tried out if, by disabling the quick startup in the power options, the problem is solved? Since you have a ssd, you do not need to enable quick boot!

I did go directly to intel to grab the latest driver no change. I did not disable quick startup. I do see that quick startup is on with my old drives I'll have to rebuild the 970's again and give that a shot. Also I am running the latest Acer Bios 1.10 and Windows 10 1803 with all patches.

Good thing this laptop is easy to work on I was going to buy the MSI GS65 Stealth. I would have given up by now flipping that motherboard 5 times would have been awful.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is windows 10 installing on one of ssd's nvme? If so, there's no need to let the quick boot on, why even quick startup will shorten ssd's life! Disable quick startup and try it out!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OliverM3
    Options
    Is windows 10 installing on one of ssd's nvme? If so, there's no need to let the quick boot on, why even quick startup will shorten ssd's life! Disable quick startup and try it out!
    Yeah win 10 is installed across both of them in raid-0 I'm giving it a shot but I'm making a system image now to make the next reinstall faster. Then i'll trying constantly rebooting to see if it corrupts the raid array again.
  • OliverM3
    Options
    Nope that didn't work after 3 reboots the laptop had the message no boot device found.  I think I'm going to try to break the raid set and install the OS on one drive if possible. Not really what I wanted to do since this laptop only supports raid-0.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried reinstalling windows 10 without cloning?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OliverM3
    Options
    Have you tried reinstalling windows 10 without cloning?
    Yup most of the installs I did were fresh no clone.
  • OliverM3
    Options

Oh well I guess I've done pretty much all I can I'm giving up and RMAing the SSD's. I'm going to go with the intel 760p's https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K6XC2124&cm_re=m.2_intel_760p-_-20-167-448-_-Product.

I'll report back on the compatibly and performance.

• Commodore_1995#
    edited September 2018
    Options
    did you check if updating bios solves the problem?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OliverM3
    Options
    did you check if updating bios solves the problem?
    Yup one of the first things I did along with the firmware on the Samsung SSD's
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried selecting the loadsetupdefaults option and then pressing f10 to save on exiting? I am saying this, because every time the user updates the bios, it is recommended to restore to the factory defaults and thus correct any bug present in the previous version!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OliverM3
    Options
    Have you tried selecting the loadsetupdefaults option and then pressing f10 to save on exiting? I am saying this, because every time the user updates the bios, it is recommended to restore to the factory defaults and thus correct any bug present in the previous version!

That I did not do but the current M.2's are running perfectly to late now though all packed up and ready to send back. I'll see what the intel M.2's are like.

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The bottom m.2 slot is pcie and the top isn't (think server RAID). That could be the hangup.

You could try installing one of the older drives (SATA) to the top slot and see if it continues to drop out.
    - Hotel Hero
  • OliverM3
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    The bottom m.2 slot is pcie and the top isn't (think server RAID). That could be the hangup.

You could try installing one of the older drives (SATA) to the top slot and see if it continues to drop out.

Thanks but you may be thinking of a different model. The Predator Triton 700 is Raid-0 only both side by side slots are pcie. Both factory m.2's are NVMe in raid-0 it's funny how the site lists them as 512gb when the model really comes with two 256 NVMe m.2's in raid-0. It's very misleading even the bios is locked at raid you cannot select ahci to run the system in a single drive setup. I did read that you can trick the bios by installing a SATA and NVMe so that it will not use raid. The problem is I have no SATA M.2's and it seems like a waste to buy one just to break a raid array setup.

Thanks though I'm hoping that the Intel 760p M.2's are more compatible with the Intel raid setup that the Predator uses. I would hope so since they're both intel. Until then I'll just keep using the two 256gig NVMe M.2's that came with the system they're working fine. The only reason I'm looking to upgrade is I'm running out of space.

The drives that are factory installed are these http://www.liteonssd.com/en/PRODUCT/client-sata-ssd/item/client-pcie-ssd/CA1-NVME-M2-SERIES-.html

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Ahhhh yeah my bad i was thinking Predator 15/17. 😅

Triton is one laptop Ive never been able to get hands on with.

There is a Acer RAID tool I've seen others post about, might be worth looking it up?
    - Hotel Hero
  • OliverM3
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    Ahhhh yeah my bad i was thinking Predator 15/17. 😅

Triton is one laptop Ive never been able to get hands on with.

There is a Acer RAID tool I've seen others post about, might be worth looking it up?

No problem at all I really appreciate everyone's help. I really do think that one of them is just bad because when I moved it, it dropped out of the slot I moved it too. But just incase I'm returning them both and trying the Intel 760's. The Samsung 970's built fine and went in to a raid-0 array I even reinstalled all my apps/games but then one would just randomly disconnected.

I'm loving the Triton though what a nice machine with a little undervolt -140 and a repaste the thing runs great and nice and cool. When I stress the cpu and gpu to 100% they both peek at 80c with auto fans. Really surprising for such a thin laptop.  Though with the factory paste the cpu was hitting the limit and throttling even with 80% fans.

I'll report back in a couple days when the new drives come in. Thanks again for all the help.