Aspire V3-371 screen upgrade from HD to Full HD IPS - will it work?

MarPaw
MarPaw Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello, 
I would like to upgrade screen from 1366x768 TN panel to 1920x1080 IPS.
I have already read almost everything about this topic and what to look for and I'm still just wondering, if someone can confirm, that this would work.

My notebook: acer v3-371-557x, cpu i5-5257u with intel iris 6100, with display: Innolux 13.3" TN LCM 1366×768 220nits WLED eDP 30pins CMN1362

I would like to exchange it for: Panda LM133LF5L01 - it have the same mount type, same place of connector placement, also 30pin eDP - but it is 2-lane and the original screen is only 1-lane.
The bandwidth should not be a problem, because there are plentry full hd screens with 1-lane connection (but not for this size).

I would be very grateful, if someone could confirm, that this should work. This screen has been used by acer in Swift 1 model, so maybe it is kind of "white-listed" by them.

Oh, and btw. there have been models very simmilar to my, with same CPU, but with installed Full HD display from factory.
I'm just worried about the interface of connector (i have read, that they may look the same, but work differently).

Panel's direct comparison (my panel vs the one, that i would like to buy):
https://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=23812,32262

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>So if there is a chance, I have to try this. I will also report back the results after replacement,>>>

Thank you. Good luck with this. We'll await your successful report!!!   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Sorry. While the integrated GPU supports FHD, the one-lane edp connection will likely limit the FHD screen to HD as shown in the original FHD v HD screen model specifications below.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarPaw

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    [...] the one-lane edp connection will likely limit the FHD screen to HD...
    ...but will this work at this (lower) resolution? 
    I understand, that one-lane eDP theoretical maximum resolution is 1600x900 - and for me it will be enough - I want to replace panel mainly because I would like to have better colours and wieving angles - resolution itself is not that important for me :)

According to some posts of Acer Community Expert @brummyfan2 , in quite simmilar cases he suggested, that FHD screens should work on one-lane eDP, example here:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/581088/upgrade-v3-574g-screen-to-fhd
    or here:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/543067/is-the-edp-cable-inside-acer-aspire-e1-572-one-or-two-lane

Btw, thanks for answering me :)
  • JackE
    Yes, of course, the one lane will definitely work with the FHD screen as shown for the B133 FHD below. However, the implication is that it will likely be limited to the same resolutions as the  N133 FD. As a practical matter, you'll just have to try it and see if you can get to 1600x900. But just so you know that a theoretical maximum is not 100% guaranteed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi @MarPaw,
    You mentioned that Panda panel is used in a Swift 1 model, could you please find the exact model number and post.
  • MarPaw

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes, of course, the one lane will definitely work with the FHD screen as shown for the B133 FHD below. However, the implication is that it will likely be limited to the same resolutions as the  N133 FD. As a practical matter, you'll just have to try it and see if you can get to 1600x900. But just so you know that a theoretical maximum is not 100% guaranteed. Jack E/NJ
    Ok, thank You, that make sense, I have not think about this in this way, that there are "two ways of working" in one panel type. So as I said before, i don't mind having the same resolution, i just want better colors etc, so I guess i will have to try exchange this. I just hope that it will work at all.
    But also, the left column is a bit misleading, because there are listed two different panels after "slash sign" in the highest row (...tn01.3 and ...tn01.1).

Hi @MarPaw,
    You mentioned that Panda panel is used in a Swift 1 model, could you please find the exact model number and post.
    Hi @brummyfan2,
    I have read in one review, that in Acer Swift 1 NX.GP1EP.003 have been used this panda LM133LF5L01 panel. If You want to see the source, it is on this site:  https://pclab.pl/art77987-3.html  (they mention this exact panel in display section in rewiev)
    May I know why do You ask? In Your opinion, is there a chance, that it will work with my acer v3-371-557x?
  • JackE
    >>>But also, the left column is a bit misleading, because there are listed two different panels after "slash sign" in the highest row (...tn01.3 and ...tn01.1).>>>

I think they're both FHD but one is possibly mislabeled as HD in these ads. The ACER specs could be wrong too. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Hi @MarPaw,
    I have checked the panels for SF113-31 and V3-371, you may succeed in swapping the panels but it will be an experimental upgrade, it means it might work or not, cable will be fine, it's compatible with one lane and 2lane panels.
    This is the comparison for SF113-31:
    Panel Specification Compare - Panelook.com
    This is for V3-371:
    Panel Specification Compare - Panelook.com
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,447 Trailblazer
    Simple answer is, have a look at this article "Can I upgrade my laptop screen to FULL HD IPS?" and see all the variables that you have to overcome. 
  • JackE
    StevenGen  >>>Simple answer is>>>

Hey. That don't look too simple to me! Might be simpler just to donate my antique FD screened V3 as a tax break to some worthy cause. Then  buy a brand new laptop already equipped with a FHD IPS display as mother nature intended.   :)   Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,447 Trailblazer
    JackE said:
    StevenGen  >>>Simple answer is>>>

Hey. That don't look too simple to me! Might be simpler just to donate my antique FD screened V3 as a tax break to some worthy cause. Then  buy a brand new laptop already equipped with a FHD IPS display as mother nature intended.   :)   Jack E/NJ   

=) simple to learn, I don't know if it is to do =) but anyway, I wouldn’t attempt it (even though I have a V3-571G) I would do as you said. I just thought I would post a guide of what is involved from the experts to MarPaw

• MarPaw

Tinkerer

Hi @MarPaw,
    I have checked the panels for SF113-31 and V3-371, you may succeed in swapping the panels but it will be an experimental upgrade, it means it might work or not, cable will be fine, it's compatible with one lane and 2lane panels.
    So if there is a chance, I have to try this. I will also report back the results after replacement, so maybe someone with simmilar situation will know how it went with this type of notebook.
    There have been a few simmilar cases/threads on this site and almost all people who tried changing panel have commented, that they have changed display and all worked flawlessly (with many different nb models) and I don't remember any single comment, that would said that this type of swap didn't work, so I hope, that also my upgrade will be hassle-free.
    Thanks You all for Your responses.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>So if there is a chance, I have to try this. I will also report back the results after replacement,>>>

Thank you. Good luck with this. We'll await your successful report!!!   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarPaw

Tinkerer

I'm writing this in case if anyone in the future would want to make simmilar upgrade - in my case it worked :) Panda IPS full hd worked correctly "out of the box" with acer v3-371. Colors are a lot better and system is showing correctly "8-bit" color in the system settings.
    In the end - that was really totally worth it! :) 
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back on your success!! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.