Is it okay! to upgrade helios 300 (PH315 - 53) to bios version 1.08(currently using 1.07 as stock).

Options
Rakesh0606
Rakesh0606 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Does the new bios update (dated 2020/12/16) bring back undervolting capability to 10th gen processors and are there any temp improvements in this bios update and should I update it or not? Please do help me with this issue as my CPU idles at 75C while plugged in and 68-70 C while on battery and easily hits 99C while just playing valorant or CSGO. While playing GTA 5 sometimes it reaches 102C too and frame drops occur.  

Best Answer

• deepanshuc
    deepanshuc Member Posts: 20 Networker
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    @Rakesh0606 As you stated that you are on 1.07 so I would recommend you to go for 1.08 as these are the fixes and improvements you will get in 1.08:-
    1. It fixes two vulnerability CVE-2020-10713 and CVE-2020-0570 which both requires physical access to the device to exploit. (Not too important)
    2. Updated the microcode which removes the overvolt. (Good for temps but not too much)
    3. Updated the panel brightness table which should improve the brightness scale at different levels like fixes the issue of being too dark or too bright at certain levels. (Good)
    Also, note that this BIOS Ver does not bring undervolting back. 

I'm currently using the BIOS Ver. 1.06 and I use throttlestop to undervolt the CPU to keep the laptop temps down ( to around 70-75 degree Celcius while playing Fortnite and GTA at high settings). None of the fixes in 1.07 and 1.08 really useful and interesting to me to give up the undervolting. So if you also want to downgrade to 1.06 then you can take a look at this post.

Answers

• deepanshuc
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    @Rakesh0606 As you stated that you are on 1.07 so I would recommend you to go for 1.08 as these are the fixes and improvements you will get in 1.08:-
    1. It fixes two vulnerability CVE-2020-10713 and CVE-2020-0570 which both requires physical access to the device to exploit. (Not too important)
    2. Updated the microcode which removes the overvolt. (Good for temps but not too much)
    3. Updated the panel brightness table which should improve the brightness scale at different levels like fixes the issue of being too dark or too bright at certain levels. (Good)
    Also, note that this BIOS Ver does not bring undervolting back. 

I'm currently using the BIOS Ver. 1.06 and I use throttlestop to undervolt the CPU to keep the laptop temps down ( to around 70-75 degree Celcius while playing Fortnite and GTA at high settings). None of the fixes in 1.07 and 1.08 really useful and interesting to me to give up the undervolting. So if you also want to downgrade to 1.06 then you can take a look at this post.
  • Rakesh0606

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you so much for the info @deepanshuc. Would it be fine if I downgrade to 1.06 version? 

• deepanshuc
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info @deepanshuc. Would it be fine if I downgrade to 1.06 version? 

Yes, there is no issue in downgrading to 1.06
  • TayseerNJaber
    TayseerNJaber Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited February 2021
    Options

Why would you downgrade?

• Rakesh0606

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    Options
    Why would you downgrade?

The BIOS version 1.06 has an access to undervolt the 10th gen intel CPU where as the 1.07 has over volted it to +50mv and 1.08 fixed this but locked it at 0mv and has no access towards core voltage offset. Intel claims that they had something called "plundervolt threat" in its core design making the cpu vulnerable towards cyberattacks (please do check online for more information). As I don't have any sensitive info on my pc I wanted to gain access to voltage offset as it can improve thermals by a great degree (approx 10°C less). But I never did it because of its complications and I'm using throttle stop to manipulate the undervolting procedure.  
    Although this shouldn't be of any problem for a normal user who uses graphic design designing tools or a casual gamer. I suggest that if you have a bios version 1.07 then upgrade to  the newer 1.08 version as it is more stable with heat vs performance.