JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Are they dual-channel? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    >>>In threads past Laurent explained that a certain manufacturer & serial # of memory is needed.>>>

So just click on this link @laurent_14 and rattle his cage with a PM. =)     Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55
    trucker55 Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

Options
    Sent him a request, hopefully he can shed some light on this common issue....up to now I've needlessly purchased 4 gig of both Crucial & Samsung memory to no avail, on the way is 4 gig of Nanya ram. At least I managed to sell what I unfortunately purchased so I'm not out any money.
  • JackE
    Options
    Were they dual channel capable modules???  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Options
    Yeah Jack, yes they are

Steve
  • JackE
    Options
    These? They should work with a high probability. The price is certainly worth the gamble with free shipping even!!!   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Options
    What I initially purchased was a pair of these....

They didn't work together, if only one was installed there was no issue, but the pair caused a no boot situation...

• JackE
    Options
    They should've worked if they were sold as a matched-pair 4GB kit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Options
    Well take a close look at these, these replaced the crucial pair I 1st purchased.......

do they look as tho they are not a matched set?  how does one tell?

• JackE
    Options
    A matched-pair is actually two modules tested together for intercompatibility on a system and then sold/packaged together as a kit. This is because production operating frequency variations between two modules that are too big might cause timing issues when for example trying to pair a 790MHz module with an 810MHz module, both nominally rated at 800MHz. This seems to be important for dual-channel capable mainboards. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Options
    aaaaaaah......I understand now, hopefully the pair that are on their way to me will do just that, ram here in the Toronto area is not cheap, if I were to purchase these in-store or from amazon the price would be near $60, so I order them from (gag) China where they are dirt cheap, takes some time to get here but one has to be patient.
  • JackE
    Options
    Good luck. I do the same especially mainboards. Though many distributors now warehouse stuff over here instead of using a slow boat.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    Options
    Well, after diddling around with this for 2 mths, (it took that long to 1. get another set of modules from China & 2. to get a response from Intel), I now know the reason for the memory issue. Seems my Intel chipset is NOT the advertised gm965 but instead the lower quality gl960 which has a 2gig ceiling, according to Intel the 960 was supposed to only be used alongside the celeron processors, so how did one get into my Core 2 duo?..it is supposed to be the 965, but, no matter, if I want to be able to use 4 gig of memory in this machine I need to dump the 960 chipset & pick up a gm965.  
  • JackE
    Options
    Well the part no is MB.AHE02.001. And you can still get them for less than $50USD on a slow boat or maybe from an Aliexpress warehouse in KY.  Not sure it's worth it though.  I got a new one for one of my netbooks but it was only $25 and well worth it to me. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, the issue has been put to bed....came across a 5920*G* in excellent shape. It has the pm965 chipset that has no memory restriction built into it. The laptop is also a premium unit, has the Nvidia HD graphics card, HDMI port & mini toslink port for optical audio out. It's been well looked after, for $50 I'm quite satisfied. Too bad 11 years ago I didn't have access to that which I came across now..... :)  
  • JackE
    Options
    Congrats. That was a top of the line XP-era machine with a hefty price tag about a 100x what you paid for it now. It was out of production by 2011 when DDR3 Win7 laptops were in vogue for about $300.  It would run pretty well on some of the latest Linux distros. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Options
    Jack, thx for the assist on the matter, at least this situation didn't cost an arm & a leg, the wife is happy once again, she can go back to serfing the *shopping channel*. =)
  • Vols312
    Vols312 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, I don't know if this is still relevant, but as i can see u have gl960 and officialy u can use only 2gb, but the peculiarity is that slot 1 must have 1GB or less, but slot 2 can have 2GB and as far as I know 4GB will also work. So you can use 3/5GB, 4/6/8 only in gm965..