Aspire 5720z maximum memory capability

trucker55
trucker55 Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

Hello there:

I own an older 5720z laptop, the original Vista op/sys has given way to win7 64, the device runs alright but the op/sys really needs more ram to run comfortably. This laptop has a cap of 2gig of ram, the motherboard/bios is capable of accepting 4 gig of sodimm, what's in there presently is Nanya ram, 2 modules of 1 gig each. If one wants to install 4gig of ram I take it that Nanya ram must be found that has a similar serial # so the op/sys will boot?...out of curiosity, what is the actual hardware holdup that is looking for a specific piece of memory? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    You may be able to upgrade to two 2GB DDR2 modules 566MHz or higher frequency for a maximum of 4GB RAM. However, you would probably get a bigger performance boost for less money by replacing the 2.5" HDD with a 2.5' SSD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Thx for the reply....the hd has already been replaced with an SSD, and it does make a difference to the response time of the op/sys. Boot up time is cut in half, a 64 bit op/sys is still bottlenecked by a small amount of ram. When it comes to doing multiple tasks at the same time the issue is evident. 
  • trucker55

Tinkerer

This is the serial # of the memory that Acer installed, 1GB.2RX8.PC2-5300-555-12-F1.667   M20791809D.X2.......do I need a similar serial # but for 2gig modules?
  • trucker55 said:
    Hello there:

I own an older 5720z laptop, the original Vista op/sys has given way to win7 64, the device runs alright but the op/sys really needs more ram to run comfortably. This laptop has a cap of 2gig of ram, the motherboard/bios is capable of accepting 4 gig of sodimm, what's in there presently is Nanya ram, 2 modules of 1 gig each. If one wants to install 4gig of ram I take it that Nanya ram must be found that has a similar serial # so the op/sys will boot?...out of curiosity, what is the actual hardware holdup that is looking for a specific piece of memory? 

Your Aspire 5720Z comes with either a Socket P - Intel Pentium Dual-Core Mobile T2310 (1.46 GHz, FSB 533 MHz, L2 1 MB) or the T2330 (1.6 GHz, FSB 533 MHz, L2 1 MB) you could upgrade it to and as tested on an Acer Aspire 5315 with the Socket P - Core 2 Duo T9300 - FF80576GG0606M / BX80576T9300 as the 5720Z's Intel GL960 chipset will handle this CPU, which will increase your response times and make it overall quicker on top of the SSD. Have a look at Crucial here: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-5720z as they don’t recommend any of their RAM as its probably too old. But this is their recommendation(s) and specs and upgrades:

Memory - Maximum memory: 2GB - Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1) - Standard memory: 1GB removable – Takes Dual-channel SODIMM DDR2-533 MHz to 667 MHz

Storage - Drive Interface: SATA/PCIe - SATA version: SATA 1 - 1.5 GB/s

Chipset - Chipset: Intel GL960

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Hi there Steve.....yep, aware of all that, the original cpu (T2310) was pulled in favour of the T3200 cpu,(2gig), the laptop is better than before but still the lack of sufficient ram bottlenecks the performance when I am doing multiple tasks at the same time. The chipset is the 965 mobile express.
  • trucker55

Tinkerer

I was hoping that Laurent might chime in seeing as he appears to be the resident guru when it comes to acquiring the proper replacement ram for situations like this.
  • JackE
    edited November 2020
    Any of these ddr2 4gb sodimm kits should work. The BIOS chip should be the main factor in whether or not the full 4GB will be recognized. You just have to try them and see. They're inexpensive enough. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Jack:

thx for that, I have already purchased both Crucial & Samsung modules, they were both dual channel modules, 2x2gig, both failed, the bios can see 4gig of memory but would not allow op/sys to boot. I initially thought that the intel chipset was the source but intel's rep stated to me this issue is not with the chipset at all. Reading some older Laurent postings the ram has to be a specific brand and match the configuration that Acer has allowed. The bios is a legacy bios.

I'm just *assuming* that Nanya would be preferred....... 
  • JackE
    Yes, the specsheet below shows the modules that are tested to work when the 5720z was first released. Others may work but not guaranteed including the 2GB DDR2s which were not widely available on xp-era budget laptops. Production changes during the WinVista and Win7 where 2GB and 4GB started to become more prevalent, some 5720z models may have been equipped to handle 4GB but still not 100% guaranteed unless shipped from the factory that way. From experience, I can tell you that most of the 2GB budget laptops during the Win7-era were DDR3 sodimm equipped and accepted 4GB and 8GB DDR3 configurations pretty well. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Interesting, looking at the list of memory modules Acer *preferred*..the 2 gig Samsung modules I purchased are M378T2953EZ3-CE6
  • JackE
    >>>M378T2953EZ3-CE6>>>

That part number looks like a 240pin desktop sodimm! It's 1GB not 2GB. That's not going to work in a 200pin laptop sodimm socket. The key slot should be different than your nanya or the original 1GB samsung shown below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Well the pic you entered is ddr2, what I have on hand is ddr2, the only difference in the identification is the letter prefix.....M470T (1GIG) vs M378T (2GIG)

• JackE
    Try Googling the Samsung part "M378T2953EZ3-CE6" to see what you come up with. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

edited November 2020
    Yeah, that is odd, can the product # be universal for both a laptop & a desktop module?...there has to some sort of discrete identifier to separate the two.
  • JackE
    Does that Samsung module have chips on both sides? What about the Nanya module that you pulled? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Yepper, they are both dual channel items, even adds to the predicament on which particular modules I am going to need so the bios will allow a 4gig memory arrangement to let the op/sys boot.
  • JackE
    edited November 2020
    No, I meant double-sided with chips mounted on both sides of the printed circuit board. Sometimes double side modules don't lay down as well in the socket. But yes, you should get a matched pair of 2GB DDR2 dual modules for a better chance of 4GB working.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

Yeah, they are indeed double sided.......the problem that has been described in the past is that where Acer is concerned only a particular manufacturers module will work.
  • JackE
    Nah. I think if you get a matched pair of dual-channel 2GB DDR2 modules, Windows will recognize 4GB as long as the BIOS does. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• trucker55

Tinkerer

edited November 2020
    There you go...........I've tried installing a matched set of modules, the bios *sees* the 4gig with no issue, but when one tries to boot up the op/sys OR slip an install disc into the rom drive an execute it neither will boot.
    In threads past Laurent explained that a certain manufacturer & serial # of memory is needed.