Acer Extensa 215-51G (ex215-51g349t) laptop starts to freeze at 30% discharge

lironix
lironix Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2020 in TravelMate and Extensa
After some time after starting work, the laptop starts to freeze strongly. Freezing is strong, similar to how old computers overheat, which have not been cleaned for a long time, but I think the problem is not overheating.
I dedicated the evening to narrow down the problems and finally understand the dependence of problems. So, what exactly became clear:
The laptop starts to freeze when the battery reaches 30% charge.
Found a freeze on BIOS version 1.06, updated to 1.11. The friezes have not disappeared.
Windows 10. The laptop was bought a month ago. Drivers are updated from the official site.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    Open DeviceManager. Click 'batteries' folder. Right click and uninstall every driver you find in this folder. Exit DeviceManager without re-installing anything. Then open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power button do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are  currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Save and exit. Shut down Windows normally. After battery charge indicator turns blue. Turn the machine back on. Remove charger. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lironix
    JackE said:
    Open DeviceManager. Click 'batteries' folder. Right click and uninstall every driver you find in this folder. Exit DeviceManager without re-installing anything. Then open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power button do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are  currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Save and exit. Shut down Windows normally. After battery charge indicator turns blue. Turn the machine back on. Remove charger. Jack E/NJ
    I'm sorry, but it didn't help, the problem remained.
  • JackE
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi lironix,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • lironix
    Check this T/S and post the result. ​

Unfortunately it didn't help.
  • JackE
    Please go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lironix
    JackE said:

I understand you need this screenshot?

• JackE
    >>>The laptop starts to freeze when the battery reaches 30% charge.>>>The laptop was bought a month ago>>>

The battery seems to be defective as it should not have already lost 30% of its design capacity  So try this before arranging for warranty service. Change your power plan so the laptop never sleeps or turns off when idle unplugged. Then when freezing starts, stop trying to use it and allow laptop to continue to run unplugged. At about the 10% charge level, you should get a Windows message to plug the charger in. But don't plug it in. At about the 7-8% charge level, shut Windows down normally if possible. If not possible, press and hold the power for 5 seconds or until the laptop shuts off.

Then plug the charger back in. Don't try to turn the laptop on until the battery charge LED turns from steady orange to steady blue. When blue, turn the laptop on. Then remove the charger and check again for freezing at 30%.

Jack E/NJ

• lironix
    JackE said:
    >>>The laptop starts to freeze when the battery reaches 30% charge.>>>The laptop was bought a month ago>>>

If suddenly this does not help, is it a warranty case? Thanks, I'll unsubscribe as soon as I can check.
  • JackE
    If the vendor's defective merchandise returns policy hasn't expired yet (usually only a few weeks), you might be able to quickly get a new battery from them.

Jack E/NJ

• lironix
    JackE said:
    If the vendor's defective merchandise returns policy hasn't expired yet (usually only a few weeks), you might be able to quickly get a new battery from them.

The warranty for the device is a year, the device is 10 months.
  • lironix
    lironix said:
    JackE said:

The warranty for the device is a year, the device is 10 months.
    I mean, the warranty lasts for a few more months. The device was purchased 10 months ago.
  • JackE
    >>>>>>The laptop was bought a month ago>>>

>>>The device was purchased 10 months ago.>>>

Please explain? Did you buy it 1 month or 10 months ago? Big difference!

Jack E/NJ

• lironix
    JackE said:

I bought it 10 months ago, but the problem was from the very beginning, I'm sorry. You can see, I created this theme in November 2020. I have This problem right away. And yes, I'm sorry, I don't speak English well :(
    It's just that the Russian official support does not help and ignores.
    I just resigned myself to this problem and do not let my computer run down by 30%. But now new problems have begun and I am afraid that it has something to do with it.
  • lironix
    JackE said:

lironix said:
    But now new problems have begun and I am afraid that it has something to do with it.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/644664/acer-extensa-215-51g-freeze-in-games-or-videos#latest
    This.
    Sharp shallow braking began. I thought it was a problem with the drivers or that there was not enough space. and I reinstalled windows but it didn't help. I updated all drivers via windows update, but I feel slowdowns in all games and videos. In some games it looks like lags (once a minute of freezing for a couple of seconds and everything comes back to normal after. If this is a shooter, then this is critical). Some simple games (which require 1 GB of RAM, 256 MB of GPU) are simply not smooth, they twitch. It's hard to translate. I don't know how to describe it in English. As if there is not enough frame rate and the eyes and the brain get tired of looking at it. Although usually I have a FPS visa and it is normal (although in such games it sometimes drops to 23-24). The temperature is normal. In cs go 70-80 degrees during a long game. But the friezes are not temperature dependent, I looked through hwinfo. And I don't know what to do with it and what to do. It's the same with movies, sometimes it feels like the picture is not smooth.
    It started abruptly.
    I previously played GTA V without a single glitch.
  • JackE
    >>>The laptop starts to freeze when the battery reaches 30% charge.>>>
    >>>I previously played GTA V without a single glitch..>>>

Does 30% freezing happen mainly when gaming?

Зависание на 30% происходит в основном при играх?

Jack E/NJ

• lironix
    JackE said:
    >>>The laptop starts to freeze when the battery reaches 30% charge.>>>
    >>>I previously played GTA V without a single glitch..>>>

Does 30% freezing happen mainly when gaming?
    No, at 30 percent it is impossible to use a laptop, let alone play. Hangs on any charging, when powered by wire, when powered by battery, immediately after switching on and after. All the time.
  • lironix
    JackE said:
    The battery seems to be defective as it should not have already lost 30% of its design capacity  So try this before arranging for warranty service. Change your power plan so the laptop never sleeps or turns off when idle unplugged. Then when freezing starts, stop trying to use it and allow laptop to continue to run unplugged. At about the 10% charge level, you should get a Windows message to plug the charger in. But don't plug it in. At about the 7-8% charge level, shut Windows down normally if possible. If not possible, press and hold the power for 5 seconds or until the laptop shuts off.
    Then plug the charger back in. Don't try to turn the laptop on until the battery charge LED turns from steady orange to steady blue. When blue, turn the laptop on. Then remove the charger and check again for freezing at 30%.

Unfortunately that didn't help either.
  • JackE
    Were you playing any games BEFORE it reached the 30% freeze point even though you stopped playing the games?

Jack E/NJ

• lironix
    JackE said:
    Were you playing any games BEFORE it reached the 30% freeze point even though you stopped playing the games?
    Well, it doesn't depend on it. You can play the game, the charge will go down to 30% and freezes will start. And you can not play at all, write a diploma in a Word and still everything will freeze.