Slow speed on USB C port - acer aspire vx5-591g

david_25
david_25 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited October 2020 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,
I have an acer aspire vx5-591g and some issue with the USB C port.
According to the specification, the Usb C port is up to 5 Gbit/s.

I have a Sandisk Extreme SSD,
When I plugged the disk using the USB C cable, the speed is around 40-50Mb/s.

When use the USB adapter, the speed is around 450Mb/s.
What I tried :
- Reverse the cable
- Reinstall windows
- All drivers and windows update
- Test the speed on ubuntu
- Test the drive on another computer with USB C ( no problem)
- Test another disk drive ( slow speed transfer again)
People here have the same issue, but the problem isn't specific to the disk.
I don't know when the problem start, if you have an idea of the problem I'll be glad to talk about it

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    What was the speed when testing with ubuntu?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• david_25

Tinkerer

batmalin said:
    What was the speed when testing with ubuntu?
    Same transfer speed of Windows (around 40Mb/s with USB-C port and 400Mb/s with USB-A port)
    Ps : I made a clear install of ubuntu to try on it before reinstalling windows

• batmalin
    So either the MB is faulty or the port, you better contact Acer support.

• david_25

Tinkerer

batmalin said:
    So either the MB is faulty or the port, you better contact Acer support.
    Yep, already done, they told me to reinstall windows, waiting for their feedback now, but tried to see if it's a drivers issue or something else than MB
  • batmalin
    It`s not a driver issue as you have the same issue with Linux

• david_25

Tinkerer

I thought that because of the bus port on linux :

batmalin said:
    It`s not a driver issue as you have the same issue with Linux
    Yeah I think so, but I think that the problem wasn't there before ( like when I purchased it back in 2017),
    Let's wait for support respond.

• Are all usb ports having trouble recognizing the usb stick?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • david_25

Tinkerer

Are all usb ports having trouble recognizing the usb stick?

All of my usb port usb 3.0/2.0/C doesn't work anymore, also the sd card.

• Have you checked this cable?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • david_25

Tinkerer

Have you checked this cable?

Yes : the cable is in place, no sign of water damaged

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Try a different USB-C cable. Have seem the same thing with an older USB-C cable. Just been running a number of tests with powered hubs (3A is good) and cables. Best speed (420 Mb/s) Mb/s)was with a Short SATA adapter. Several others were in the 320-370 Mb/s range. Low 300s with SATA III hub.

BTW have see much lower speeds (40 Mb/s) without external power. Both 2.5" HDD and SDDs seem power sensitive. Fastest powered hub (3A) shows 5.2VDC. With 4.8vdc/2.5A hub connection is erratic.

Bottom line SATA III speeds (over 250 Mb/s) are critical on all components in the path. Even a new laptop may not have enough USB power for max speed or reliable connection (too low power and drive does not appear in Explorer, Diskmgmt, or even DiskPart. Found several 2.0-2.5A hubs this was true.

Note: this is for "high speed" USB connections and external SATA cases. I see over 500 Mb/s for internal drives.
  • david_25

Tinkerer

padgett said:
    Try a different USB-C cable. Have seem the same thing with an older USB-C cable. Just been running a number of tests with powered hubs (3A is good) and cables. Best speed (420 Mb/s) Mb/s)was with a Short SATA adapter. Several others were in the 320-370 Mb/s range. Low 300s with SATA III hub.

BTW have see much lower speeds (40 Mb/s) without external power. Both 2.5" HDD and SDDs seem power sensitive. Fastest powered hub (3A) shows 5.2VDC. With 4.8vdc/2.5A hub connection is erratic.

Bottom line SATA III speeds (over 250 Mb/s) are critical on all components in the path. Even a new laptop may not have enough USB power for max speed or reliable connection (too low power and drive does not appear in Explorer, Diskmgmt, or even DiskPart. Found several 2.0-2.5A hubs this was true.

Note: this is for "high speed" USB connections and external SATA cases. I see over 500 Mb/s for internal drives.

The problem is not from the cable or ssd ( 0 problem with other PC), it is coming from the laptop : all of my usb port (2xUSB 3.0/1xUSB 2.0/ the USB C/ the SD card port) are now dead (not working, not detected in windows/bios/ubuntu, no power), tried usb stick, SSD, HDD, mouse (no light from the mouse).
    Acer need to investigate in the failure because there is another thread mentioning the failure here https://community.acer.com/fr/discussion/639240/mon-nitro-an515-51-a-perdu-usb-et-bluetooth-suite-a-la-maj-windows-20h2/p3

How can this happend, I'm using normally and it slowly degrading without reason

• padgett
    Have seen some comments about losing all USB ports and had it happen on one notebook after Win 11 upgrade. Issue is that the OS tries to control power and just turns them off. Have to disable (uncheck) al USB boxes in Device Manager and Power settings that refer to allowing Windows control...
  • david_25

Tinkerer

padgett said:
    Have seen some comments about losing all USB ports and had it happen on one notebook after Win 11 upgrade. Issue is that the OS tries to control power and just turns them off. Have to disable (uncheck) al USB boxes in Device Manager and Power settings that refer to allowing Windows control...

Here is what is on my device manager (no sign of USB root hub or USB composite), yes I tried to install all windows update/drivers, reset windows, I've even install manually my mouse driver ( steelseries) but it's not detected.
    Btw I haven't tried to update to W11 because it's a i5-7300HQ and it's not compatible, still the detection problem is here in the bios (usb bootable stick not detected, yes my bios is on the latest version) and ubuntu.
    Forgot to mention that the trackpad randomly don't work.

• padgett
    edited March 2022
    In English version you need to scroll device manager to the bottom to see USB devices. Checkbox is under "power management".

• david_25

Tinkerer

padgett said:

The problem is not from the cable or ssd ( 0 problem with other PC), it is coming from the laptop : all of my usb port (2xUSB 3.0/1xUSB 2.0/ the USB C/ the SD card port) are now dead (not working, not detected in windows/bios/ubuntu, no power), tried usb stick, SSD, HDD, mouse (no light from the mouse).
    Acer need to investigate in the failure because there is another thread mentioning the failure here https://community.acer.com/fr/discussion/639240/mon-nitro-an515-51-a-perdu-usb-et-bluetooth-suite-a-la-maj-windows-20h2/p3

How can this happend, it is slowly degrading without reasons

• david_25

Tinkerer

padgett said:
    In English version you need to scroll device manager to the bottom to see USB devices. Checkbox is under "power management".

As I said, no sign of USB root hub or anything else, don't worry i'm on the right menu here is what is showing up on another computer

• padgett
    edited March 2022
    In that case I'd look for something in the BIOS (peripherals ?) that is disabling the USB ports.

• david_25

Tinkerer

padgett said:
    In that case I'd look for something in the BIOS (peripherals ?) that is disabling the USB ports.

I've reset my bios several times, checked every parameters, clear c-mos by disconnecting the little battery
    I don't know what to do with my E-Waste, Acer really need to investigate with this deterioration.