Acer Extensa EX215-21-62DP: disk not recognized by Linux

fussuser
fussuser Member Posts: 4 New User
edited September 2021 in TravelMate and Extensa
Hi everyone.
one of our schools bought 42 Acer Extensa EX215-21-62DP which had to be delivered with Linux pre-installed. Instead of that there is only a UEFI shell installed and there is no way to make the drive SSD NVMe 256 GB WD (WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-104) recognized by Debian 10.05 or Ubuntu 20.04.

A similar problem was reported here:

This is a picture of the Information tab of the Setup. What do you suggest us to do?

Thanks in advance!

Thread was edited to hide sensitive information

Answers

• fussuser
    Hi, anybody faced the same problem?
  • Jordi215
    Jordi215 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, did you manage to fix the problem? exactly the same thing happens to me, thanks
  • alfonsog
    alfonsog Member Posts: 2 New User
    no wdc pc sn520 sdapnuw-256g-1014 hard disk detected by any distro of linux (no one every old and new version).
    Does somebody have a special iso with linux that this pc can install ?

• fussuser
    Jordi215 said:
    Hi, did you manage to fix the problem? exactly the same thing happens to me, thanks
    No, unfortunately not yet. I wonder why Acer isn't offering to its community of customers any help. 
    @Acer: Is there a way to unlock advanced options in the setup?
    @Acer: why in your opinion isn't the disk visible by any Linux distro?
  • _TheRobot_
    _TheRobot_ Member Posts: 35 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    It's simple to fix:
    Use this way when you want to keep your data: go into windows and open msconfig.exe by typing it into the search. Go to the Tab "start" and Tick safe start check if minimal is selected then press apply and okay and click on reboot. When it begin to show the Acer Logo press f2 as often as you can to enter the bios. Go to the Main Tab and press Ctrl and s now change the sata mode from optane with raid to ahci and press f10. Now press yes and wait for your Laptop to boot up and reboot it out of windows. Use this way when you want to delete your data: shut your Laptop down. When you turn it on mesh the f2 key go to the Main Tab and press ctrl and s now change the sata mode to ahci and turn the f12 boot menu on and plug in your Linux install drive. Press f10 and click on yes now mesh the f12 Button when your Laptop Shows a black screen. Choose your usb drive and install Linux.
  • alfonsog
    alfonsog Member Posts: 2 New User
    hi, i enter to bios on main tab but ctrl and s does not change anythingh.  Also, the SATA Mode option is alredy set to [AHCI] in fixed way (not changebl with f5 or f6). Also i setted Secure Boot to [Disabled] as many people say, but nothingh . Linux does not recognize the nvne h.d.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    @alfonsog show us a picture of the Information tab in your BIOS, edited to hide the serial number. The show us the same from the Main and Advanced page.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • thor_hammer
    thor_hammer Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

It's simple to fix:
    Use this way when you want to keep your data: go into windows and open msconfig.exe by typing it into the search. Go to the Tab "start" and Tick safe start check if minimal is selected then press apply and okay and click on reboot. When it begin to show the Acer Logo press f2 as often as you can to enter the bios. Go to the Main Tab and press Ctrl and s now change the sata mode from optane with raid to ahci and press f10. Now press yes and wait for your Laptop to boot up and reboot it out of windows. Use this way when you want to delete your data: shut your Laptop down. When you turn it on mesh the f2 key go to the Main Tab and press ctrl and s now change the sata mode to ahci and turn the f12 boot menu on and plug in your Linux install drive. Press f10 and click on yes now mesh the f12 Button when your Laptop Shows a black screen. Choose your usb drive and install Linux.
    can you post a video for evidence? I tried all the steps above but still drive is not showing in ubunutu. i am using acer ex215-52 laptop 10gen CPU. ACHI mode, secure boot disabled, all the extra options disabled.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    That suggestion doesn't apply to the system for this thread, since it is AMD based, not Intel. @thor_hammer you should start a new thread for your issue, since you have a much different machine than this thread is for.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • fussuser

The solution is to add the following kernel option:

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=250