Acer Ferrari 5000 BIOS update bricked the laptop

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    The on/off cycling you initially described, and the BIOS failure to show any USB stick LED activity, are obviously not good signs. There's a very slim chance that the BIOS is OK, but the LCD screen connection somehow isn't. But to test it we need to connect the VGA output to the TV vga input port. Do you have an old VGA cable laying around somewhere? Then press the FN+F5 external VGA toggle key combo to see if you can turn it on. Might as well press the FN+F6 internal screen toggle too just in case that somehow got switched off.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020
    Chris2020 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Options
    I am afraid the VGA option did not work either. It behaves as described still.
  • JackE
    Options
    Only one more simple thing I can suggest. Remove or disconnect everything except the lid display on the mainboard that's readily accessible to try to get the BIOS to respond, even if only with beep error codes.  They would be the HDD, the memory modules, anything connected to an i/o port, etc.

If still nothing, the primitive boot block of the BIOS chip was likely corrupted since it also neither responded to FN+ESC nor WIN+b input. This is one of the big hazards of messing with BIOS firmware updates --- much riskier than device driver updates because they're much harder to un-do if things go haywire. The chip can probably be re-programmed with an inexpensive EEPROM programmer but requires fair skills in low-level programming --- think pre-basic ca. 1975   :)

ACER tech support can probably salvage it but usually charge about $100 for BIOS recovery with shipping both ways on you. If it was mine, I'd remove the HDD and transfer my personal files to another machine over a USB port. Then probably pick up an  EEPROM programmer from Aliexpress or Amazon, and try my hand at restoring the BIOS. A few ACER users on this forum have reported successes. But more have been frustrated.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020
    Chris2020 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Options
    First of all, thank you for all your help on this. I really do appreciate your suggestions. As you said, it most likely corrupted the boot block on the BIOS chip. Everything is pointing towards that. As the machine is quite rare (to my knowledge and what I've seen online), and I'm quite fond of it, I am willing to pay to have it fixed. I will get in touch with Acer technical and see if they can help me with having the BIOS restored.

Thank you again for your help, time, and suggestions - 
  • JackE
    Options
    I don't know how well the self-help service site works for your machine due to its age. But may be worth a shot. https://customerselfcare.acer.com/CS2/#/_ga  Its serial number id (SNID) might be a stumbling block. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ