Acer Ferrari 5000 BIOS update bricked the laptop

Chris2020
Chris2020 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I just did the bios update on my Ferrari 5000. All was completed successfuly, and when the computer rebooted, it shut off immediately. It actually went into a cycle of trying to boot and shutting off every 5 seconds or so. Any ideas of how to resolve? Thank you -

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What problem were you trying to fix with the firmware update? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020

Tinkerer

Hello JackE, it seems like the BIOS update failed and now the computer is power cycling when trying to turn it on. The screen remains blank. 
  • JackE
    (1) BlaNk with a backlight or BlaCk with no backlight?
    (2) What problem were you trying to fix with the BIOS update?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020

Tinkerer

1. It's black with no backlight

2. The computer would not recognize a SSD (Samsung 860EVO) after upgrading from mechanical. I was recommended to upgrade to the latest version of the BIOS. After the fact I found out the SSD was not working properly so the problem was with the SSD and not the BIOS.
  • JackE
    (1) Is every piece of hardware back in there the same as it was before you tried to install the evo? That is, nothing more, nothing less.?
    (2) Did you try to run the BIOS update EXE under the original factory installed Windows version or  under a later Windows version's factory version compatibility mode?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020

Tinkerer

1. Confirmed - re-inserted the original harddrive and nothing more has been added or altered.

2. Yes, I ran the BIOS update EXE under the original Windows Vista Ultimate installation that had been installed from the restoration partition. The computer has never been connected to the internet after latest re-install. Vista Service Pack has been installed from disc.

Thank you for all your help troubleshooting this.
  • Chris2020

Tinkerer

edited July 2020
    If it helps with anything I recorded a video of the computer when turned on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjtdyxwhbuvucrr/IMG_9730.mov?dl=0
  • JackE
    Download and extract the BIOS zipfile that you used again on another machine. Then run the EXE file. It should yield Windows & DOS subdirectories. What files do you see in the DOS subdirectory? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020

Tinkerer

The BIOS 3228 ZIP and subsequent EXE file downloaded from Acer (link) does not behave the way you describe. The ZIP extracts the following files and the EXE brings you straight to the update utility without further extracted directories. I specified ZC3_3228.WPH as the new BIOS.

Is it possible the file is corrupt? Is there a way to install the BIOS update again when the computer behaves as described?

Extracted files
    bios.bak
    mfc42.dll
    msvcp60.dll
    msvcrt.dll
    PHLASH.INI
    PHLASH.LOG
    Phlash9X.vxd
    PhlashLc.dll
    PhlashNT.sys
    Readme.txt
    winhlp32.exe
    WinPhlash update SOP XP.pdf
    WinPhlash.exe
    WINPHLASH.HLP
    ZC3_3228.WHP
  • Chris2020

Tinkerer

After having reviewed the SOP I have come to the conclusion that I might have switched the backup file and the new bios file and entered bios.bak as the file to be installed and ZC_3228.WHP as the backup file. Would this explain the issue?
  • JackE
    Hold on. I just got back from errands. Follow directions on this link for creating a bootable USB stick with an activity LED that will hopefully re-flash the BIOS correctly. Step 4 you've already done---the WPH file that'll be renamed.  https://www.itropics.net/computers/windows/80-convert-hp-winflash-bios-to-a-bootable-floppy-file

Once you're done, the USB stick should have 3 files in the root directory with SYS, EXE, & WPH extensions. Follow directions to boot from it except use FN+ESC keys instead of WIN+b keys.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020

Tinkerer

I followed the instructions and used FN+ESC (tried several times and with different USB ports) but it did not work.
  • JackE
    Try renaming the BIOS.wph back to ZC3_3228.wph. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020

Tinkerer

Unfortunately, it yielded the same result. The status light on the USB flash drive hasn't flashed once either.
  • JackE
    Does you have a TV or monitor with VGA input? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020

Tinkerer

Yes, I do.
  • JackE
    Just thought of something since you got no USB LED activity with FN+ESC . This is an old phoenix bios mainboard. Did you also try the Win+b combo just in case it responds like the HP with both BIOS.WPH and ZC3_3228.WPH? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020

Tinkerer

I tried with multiple reboots and both names on all USB ports, it yielded the same result. 
  • JackE
    Has the BIOS coin cell ever been replaced? They are not rechargeable and have a shelf life of less than 10 years. Your mainboard is 2008 vintage or earlier with Vista. If not, there is a possibility that the flash was in fact  successful until it rebooted. Did it  reboot without actually shutting off after flashing? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Chris2020

Tinkerer

No, it is still running on the original cell battery however, it has kept time and I've never received any POST message saying otherwise. I am sorry, I do not recall if it actually did reboot without shutting off after flashing. Up until that point everything had been working as it should so I did not pay attention.

Thank you again, I really appreciate your time.