Is there a way to Update the Travelmate B117 BIOS with the FN & ESC keys?

Options

Answers

• Frankthedog
    Frankthedog Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I have tried to boot from a bootable usb stick and an external cd drive - but the system will not boot. It acts as if it is reading the flash drive or cd but it just will not get past that splash screen.
    But if you have some specific instructions for me to follow to create an iso to boot to a usb stick, I will gladly give it a try.
    BTW: thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Ok! Check this file:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Frankthedog
    Options
    I will try that but I need to emphasize again that the laptop has not booted from anything I have tried it with - and that included disabling the Secure Boot
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Ok! Post the result here.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Frankthedog
    Options
    Completed the procedure from that pdf you sent me. The laptop did nothing but boot to the Acer splash screen.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I'm thinking that your emmc unit may be failing. Do you have any hdd or ssd to install on the notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Frankthedog
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I don't have another drive. When I had the back open, I couldn't even see where to install the drive! Are you sure it isn't a corrupted BIOS? That is why I was hoping there was some way to flash the BIOS without the laptop being able to boot. I know some older Acers had some keystroke combination where you could do that. I had searched all over the Internet and couldn't find any BIOS update for this model that didn't have to be run in Windows!
  • Frankthedog
    Options
    I assumed that even if the emmc was bad, the laptop would still boot from a USB device, that's why I thought it might be a corrupted BIOS
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    If the bios were corrupted, the computer would not boot and you would not be able to access the bios settings. Do you have a 2.5 "hdd to install on the notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Frankthedog
    Options
    I do have a 2.5" drive I can try. I have attached a picture of the laptop chassis. I have no idea where the hard drive connector is . Also, I have no idea how to remove the emmc (if I need to). Let me know how to proceed - and thanks again.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Unfortunately your model does not have the m2 port or the sata port to add a 2.5 "hdd, see:

https://youtu.be/MXq-GJN-KIY
    The emmc is soldered here:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Frankthedog
    Options
    So the laptop is not salvageable?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    When you reinstall windows, does a partition appear here?
    How to do a clean installation of Windows 10  Windows Central

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Frankthedog
    Options
    I cannot reinstall Windows, remember the laptop will not boot from any USB. I can do a reset through the Windows Recovery Panel but even after the reset completes, the laptop will not get part the splash screen.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    But you converted the usb stick to gpt and formatted it in fat32?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Frankthedog
    Options
    I did convert the usb stick to gpt and formatted it in fat32? The laptop never seemed to see the flash drive
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    edited May 2020
    Options
    do it:
    a) open powershell as an administrator and enter these commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    b) then download the iso from microsoft and choose to save to the computer: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    c) extract the iso to the usb stick;
    d) in the bios, enable the f12 boot menu and disable secureboot.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Frankthedog
    Options
    I am giving up on the Travelmate. I have already done all that you just suggested and it didn't work either. Thanks again for your efforts, I appreciate it very much. Take care!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you send a photo of these settings and check if disabling this hardware, if it solves the problem?

Also, can you change the bootmode to legacy and uefi?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Frankthedog
    Options
    None of that helped either