Aspire A515-54 freezes on occasion

2»

Answers

• mhorlick
    mhorlick Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hello Jack,
    Just to let you know that I haven't had any freezing problems any more. A few interesting things happened along the way. First, for some strange reason I lost some of my restore points that I had created. Also, when I did some updates to Windows such as going to 1909 I did not get these automatic restore points. Now, it could have been that I did create restore points myself and maybe Windows somehow decided not to create one based on that, I don't know.
    It sure looks good so far and I think I have till May 4th to do a return but it looks like it's a keeper. 
    Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated  :)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    edited April 2020
    The restore points are usually automatically purged after about a month or so. Just make sure SystemProtection is still turned on in ControlPanel's restore point app so that the automatic restore points continue to be created. If you don't do this, no auto restore points will be created.

Anyway, if a problem emerges, check for a automatic restore point right away. Don't wait for a month to check because by then it'll automatically deleted.

Good luck. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick
    mhorlick Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Yup it's on. Thanks!
  • ricktheghost
    ricktheghost Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello buyers of Aspire A514-54, I have been facing the same issue with my laptop. From what I gathered, it's an issue with the Iris graphics driver. The issue occurs if we watch prolonged videos, might be on a player or Netflix. It might occur even while browsing or connecting to a BT headset, as well. If you guys can remember, the initial BIOS was 1.08, which promised to solve Screen flicker and add BT headset support. Well, that didn't work.

So Acer has generated another BIOS update, 1.10 to curb the error, but this didn't work either. These drivers and BIOS mismatch, whensoever a new gen-graphics driver is brought onto the market. So if we, the buyers can wait out for Acer to generate a better BIOS driver that interacts well with the Graphics driver, the issue will be solved.

Now, alls dependent on Acer to get their job done and resolve this bothersome error that has been making our lives tragic af.
  • CharlotteDH
    CharlotteDH Member Posts: 2 New User
    Mine freezes many times a day for 2 to 15 seconds. This problem is a killer when I am leading a Zoom meeting. Very unprofessional. ANY IDEAS HOW TO FIX?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Try uninstalling any non-Microsoft virus scanners if you haven't done so already. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ