Aspire A515-54 freezes on occasion

mhorlick
mhorlick Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Greetings,

Received my laptop a couple of weeks ago. Noticed one freeze, I believe, before I installed most of the application software I need. 
Screen would remain as before freeze, touchpad and keyboard not responding. Only way out, was a Power Off.

I think I had maybe one additional freeze before yesterday but when it happened yesterday I called Acer and they had me insert pin in battery hole at bottom for 10 seconds after powering off. At some pointed I also uninstalled this Norton Ultra something product that the machine came with because I read somewhere that could be a problem and in any case I don't want their 30 day trial.

Anyways, it re-happened after about 30 minutes. Called Acer and they said send it back for repair. PITA.
Will probably return it to Best Buy before I do that. 

Generally I like the product. Today, so far, so good. No freezes yet.  

I started to look at Event Viewer a bit but nothing looks too promising.

Before returning it to store, I thought would give it a bit of a go trying to find and correct the problem.

How does one go about diagnosing a freeze? Is there a "trace" that could be initiated that could point to the problem?

Thank you

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    The best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is a full ALT+F10 cold boot remove everything reset. Shut machine completely off. Then press and hold the ALT+F10 keys and then turn the machine on and choose the remove everything reset. After the reset is complete, open ControlPanel, search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in the left pane. In the box that pops up make sure SystemProtection is turned on just in case a Win10 update is causing the issue which can be reversed and blocked till a future update addresses the issue. Then uninstall Norton again preferrably using its own uninstaller rather than through ControlPanel programs. Do this quickly so you can return the machine before BB's RMA policy period expires. ACER warranty repairs will take longer. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

Hello JackE
    Thank you for your response. I did as you said. Removed Norton Security Ultra that the machine came with with their own uninstall procedure after reset removing everything.
    Re-installing my applications now. 
    Wish I knew what caused this problem. Is there any way to check the hardware to see if that caused the problem? Sort sort of diagnostic tool that scans your machine?
    Anyways, thanks again. Will keep you posted if it happens again.
  • JackE
    edited April 2020
    >>>Will keep you posted if it happens again. >>>
    OK. Make sure SystemProtection is turned on in ControlPanel's restore point app. But if it happens again, don't waste any time. See if a restore point fixes it. If not, return it pronto to BB as defective for a refund or exchange. I'm not sure how long their returns policy lasts. Jack E/NJ
    PS: You can view the event log in settings to see if it can pick up the origin of a freeze.

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

Hi Jack,

I set up restore points at different points but honestly if it freezes again I think I will just return it to Best Buy. I've had it for 1 week now. I think I have at a minimum 2 weeks to bring it back but since it's stores are all closed here in Quebec because of COVID-19 I have no choice but to use Canada Post , Purolater, etc... to make the return A bit more hassle plus I have to figure out what laptop I should buy to replace this one , the same as what I have now or different. Anyways, will study up on event log, looks interesting. Will let you know if it freezes again.
    Thanks again for your help. Much better than Acer support (lol). Stay safe. 
  • JackE
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it doesn't happen again. However, major Win10 updates are notorious for creating issues like this, hence the need for turning on SystemProtection so they can be reversed until a future Microsoft update hopefully fixes them. Frankly, this instability is the very reason I don't rely on Windows any more.  My two workhorse ACER & HP machines  now default boot to LinuxMint Cinnamon GUI that are set up to have the same look, feel, function & stability of the last halfway decent winver, Win7.  Plus I still also have full edit access to all my old stuff on the Windows partitions so the transition is seamless. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

Just checking the state of Windows after this reset. I see that I am running Version 1903 (Os Build 18362.778). My older PC (Dell Latitude E6400) is running Version 1909 (Os Build 184363.778). Both Windows 10. I think maybe, just maybe, after I got the Acer machine I may have updated the OS. So, this has been making me a little paranoid. It appears 1909 is the current version. Since I don't have forever to decide whether to keep the machine or not what is the recommended action? Leave as is for a week and if after a week no freezes create a restore point and then update? It appears that SystemProtection=On is supposed to create this restore point without me doing so as explained in https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37098/~/windows-10:-system-protection ? Is that the case? Without me actually doing the update I don't know at what point Windows will want to do the update anyway and it seems I can only prolong the application. More investigation in that. Are you aware of freezing problems associated with 1909 and Acer machines?
    Thanks
  • JackE
    >>>Are you aware of freezing problems associated with 1909 and Acer machines?>>>

Sure. Just google '1909 freezing acer'  or hp or  dell or asus. Win10 isn't anything like the previous WinVers. In fact, under the old WinVer numbering system, 1909Win10 would be probably be more like Win18 by now.  That should make you even more paranoid.   :)    However, 1903-1909 was a relatively modest transition compared 1809-1903 and earlier versions. With SystemProtection turned on, WinUpdate service should automatically create a restore point. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

Hi Jack,

Just had another freeze. My wife was composing an email using ThunderBird email and everything just stopped. Keyboard / touchpad not responding. 

Last time on screen was 2:39PM. Power off / Power on. I think maybe it's time to put back in box and send back. 

Checking Event Viewer I see the following:

Ideas, suggestions ...?

Thanks

• JackE
    Press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

Here you go

• JackE
    OK. Download, unzip and run the following BIOS update to version 1.17 that was released about 3 weeks ago to see if it fixes the freeze issue. But before you do, check for any auto restore points that might've slipped in there while you weren't looking. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

Ok, done. Thanks

• JackE
    Did you see any auto restore points? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

I don't believe so. This is what I see

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

Also, I did some Power Options changes (maybe I should have waited). Saw this youtube video on "how to fix acer aspire freezes" 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHxEtTr8fs   
  • JackE
    >>>(maybe I should have waited).>>>

Did you send it back already? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

Nope. I think I have till May 4th to do that so I'll see how it goes. 
  • JackE
    As a goodwill gesture, some companies are extending deadlines and  other accomodations due to the lockdowns. Maybe BB will too. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mhorlick

Tinkerer

Actually, I received the laptop on April 16. Their return policy is 2 weeks or May 4 whichever is later. Calling BB was impossible a few days ago but will try again. So far so good with the machine but still early.
  • JackE
    TempusFugit. May 4 isn't that far away. Keep checking for updates and policy revisions https://partners.bestbuy.com/-/a-note-from-bby-about-covid-19-canada-newsupdate

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ