Acer R13 accelerometer problem?

pkw
pkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My Acer R13 seems to have developed a peculiar problem. When I rotate the screen fully, it switches to tablet mode, but when rotating back to laptop mode it stays in tablet mode. Screen rotation stopped working too. Restart seems to fix it but then the problem returns. The other day, I spilled a little coffee on the top right corner of the screen but I don't think this caused damage. Has anyone got any ideas?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Did this happen unexpectedly for no apparent reason before the other day when you spilled a little coffee on the top right corner of the screen? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pkw
    JackE said:
    Did this happen unexpectedly for no apparent reason before the other day when you spilled a little coffee on the top right corner of the screen? Jack E/NJ
    I noticed it after. But I have another hypothesis. Around the same time, there was a ChromeOS update. Then yesterday, I checked manually and it turned out there was another update waiting. After applying it yesterday, seems the problem is now gone. So could be a bug. I'll keep an eye on it and post here again if the problem returns.
  • pkw
    Unfortunately, the problem returned. If it was a bug introduced in the first system update, I have no way of checking that :/
  • JackE
    Was it black coffee? The reason I ask is that milk and/or sugar residue might cause issues with higher room humidity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pkw
    edited April 2020
    JackE said:
    Was it black coffee? The reason I ask is that milk and/or sugar residue might cause issues with higher room humidity. Jack E/NJ
    Can you elaborate? It was with milk and sugar. Colombian Arabica to be precise. ;)
    Could some of it have possibly gone into the gap between screen and cover?
  • JackE
    Sugar is hygroscopic. Meaning it continuously attacts water from humid air and loses water into dry air. I can't seem to find the precise location for the G-sensor board in the specsheets but it is obviously somewhere under the screen bezel. If the sugar dried out on this sensor, then it can become moistened again and probably disable the sensor. It'll likely be an intermittent problem if this is what actually happened. The only thing I can suggest is to remove the screen bezel and dab around the sensor board with a Q-tip moistened with rubbing alcohol to try to dissolve and wick the sugar solution into the Q-tip Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pkw
    Thanks @JackE, it seems to me a plausible explanation. I'll look into it. I was able to find a pic that shows where the g-sensor is but it doesn't tell me much:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577396/r13-cb5-312t-replacement-lcd-arrived-today-hoping-verify-step-1-open-the-back-2-pry-screen-out

A friend suggested opening it and putting rice on it. I guess that could help if it was water but alcohol is needed to dissolve sugar.
  • pkw
    I managed to downgrade CheomeOS from version 81 to 79 to make sure this is not a software bug. Will report back here in a few days.
  • JackE
    >>>A friend suggested opening it and putting rice on it. I guess that could help if it was water but alcohol is needed to dissolve sugar. >>>

Yeah, you need to get rid of the sugar. Distilled water will dissolve sugar too but may not  as fast as rubbing alcohol to avoid other problems. Hope it turns out to be a software issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pkw
    Well, it seems it's a bug after all (or so I hope!). It didn't occur at all when on version 79, then after update to 81 it came back. I wrote on Google support forums where somebody said that there was a bug like that that was supposedly fixed in version 80, but some people are still experiencing it. (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1042541) I've sent feedback to Google, all I can do now is hope they fix it soon.
  • JackE
    Good luck. Hope it's a ChromeBug too. Let us know either way. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ