SP513-52N-55LV Erratic Stylus Connection - Acer Spin 5

Options
WillQRogers
WillQRogers Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter
edited April 2020 in Swift and Spin Series
Sometimes my stylus just works as expected, but sometimes it doesn't. That is, I'll hold the pen up to the screen waiting for the computer to recognize the pen, but absolutely nothing happens. I struggle and get frustrated and start touching the stylus to different points on the screen, but all to no avail. 20 minutes later, I try the stylus again and it works perfectly.

I've had my Acer Spin 5 for a few years and this is literally the only significant hardware problem I've had with the device. Any ideas on what I should do?

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the exact model? Example SF315-51-58VH. Have you tried to replace the pen battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WillQRogers
    Options
    The exact model of my Acer Spin 5 is:  SP513-52N-55LV

I haven't tried replacing the battery yet. Battery life issues wouldn't explain why the pen works perfectly for a couple hours, then not at all for 30 minutes, then perfectly for a day, then not at all for the next hour, etc. But maybe I should try to replace the battery anyway... AAAA is not easy to find.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the exact model of the pen? Have you tried to adjust the pen tip?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WillQRogers
    Options
    How do I find the exact model number of my pen?

Also, I don't know how to adjust the pen tip. How do I do that?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    Options
    UPDATE

I replaced the battery and that did not fix the problem. The connection was still very erratic.

I tried replacing the stylus tip and discovered that maybe the tip simply wasn't nestled into the stylus far enough! I pushed it in a little further and will see if that makes the connection stronger.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Did adjusting the pen tip solve the problem?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Unfortunately not. I think the stylus or something in the laptop is just defective.

How would I know if the laptop is the problem or if the stylus is the problem? And, assuming it's the stylus that's broken, can anyone suggest a replacement product?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! But does the touch screen work correctly when using the finger?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    edited April 2020
    Options
    The touchscreen works as expected, except for the stylus.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    the same problem occurred when installing windows?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BPK
    BPK Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi, I also have the same problem with Stylus. I've changed pen battery, but it still be the same. btw, Touch screen works properly with fingers.
    The model of my Acer spin 5 is SP513-53N-51G
    The model number of my pen is NC23811040
  • WillQRogers
    Options
    I've had this problem for as long as I've had the laptop, which came with Win10 installed.
  • WillQRogers
    Options
    BPK said:
    Hi, I also have the same problem...

How did you find the model number of your pen?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What happens when you update IO drivers? Also, does the same problem occur when using another pen?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    Options
    What happens when you update IO drivers? Also, does the same problem occur when using another pen?
    I haven't tested any other styluses on my laptop. I only own the stylus that came with the laptop.

I also haven't tried updating IO drivers. I'm not quite sure what those are. Is it worth looking up what all this means? Also, is there any risk in updating the drivers?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    Options
    I installed the file you linked to. It did not fix the problem. The stylus is still randomly disconnecting and connecting, even in the middle of words that I'm writing. At the moment, I cannot connect the stylus to the computer at all.

Can you tell me how to uninstall and reinstall the driver for the stylus? I can't even figure out where that is in my Device Manager.
  • WillQRogers
    Options
    BPK said:
    Hi, I also have the same problem...

How did you find the model number of your pen?

Never mind - I found it, it's the same! My stylus's model is NC23811040.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer