doesn't charge and blue,orange indicators are blinking together. Fix? - Aspire 5 A515-51G-59Z0

13»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    >>>Usually happens when I am using it for energy extensive tasks (>>>

Normal behavior. Battery must be near 100% charged and laptop plugged in BEFORE starting high load games for maximum play time. This is because battery must supply extra power for high load games that charger alone cannot supply enough. At those time, the battery is not charging and appears to be intermittent charging.

Jack E/NJ

• SuperUser
    SuperUser Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>Usually happens when I am using it for energy extensive tasks (>>>

Normal behavior. Battery must be near 100% charged and laptop plugged in BEFORE starting high load games for maximum play time. This is because battery must supply extra power for high load games that charger alone cannot supply enough. At those time, the battery is not charging and appears to be intermittent charging.
    I get your point. The laptop should in fact intermittently charge. But I am facing a similar issue like others' of my Acer laptop not charging at all and orange blue lights blinking. What seems to trigger the issue is the launch of an intensive application but once the issue is triggered and the lights start blinking the laptop never charges at all no matter what I do including quitting the app. I believe my battery is fine as per the battery report I checked. I think it's either a charger issue or an outlet grounding/polarisation issue. As arranging for a new charger isn't that easy, can you help me in isolating the issue to the charger or the outlet so that I can work on it appropriately?
  • JackE
    SuperUser>>>What seems to trigger the issue is the launch of an intensive application but once the issue is triggered and the lights start blinking the laptop never charges at all no matter what I do including quitting the app.>>>

Does a cold boot or a warm restart untrigger it?

Jack E/NJ

• SuperUser
    SuperUser Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    SuperUser>>>What seems to trigger the issue is the launch of an intensive application but once the issue is triggered and the lights start blinking the laptop never charges at all no matter what I do including quitting the app.>>>

Does a cold boot or a warm restart untrigger it?
    Earlier it used to clear the error after unplugging rebooting the laptop/resetting the battery using the pinhole and then plugging it back in. But lately, that doesn't seem to be working. I suspect it's the charger at fault here. The issue only used to happen in intense loads. Then whenever I turned on the laptop. Now, I am unable to charge whatsoever. Just need some way to confirm that the charger is at fault without getting a new one. Will a multimeter help?
  • DailyNightly
    DailyNightly Member Posts: 2 New User
    Came across this thread while dealing with this own issue myself and figured I would share my own experiences.

I have an Acer Aspire 5 (AS515-51-50E0). It’s only a few years old (maybe three), and I’d say it’s had minimal wear and tear on it. Never used it to play games or other things, just pretty much what I would consider normal internet browsing, music, YouTube, Discord and email. I never dropped, hit or damaged the laptop. I never got it wet or spilled anything on it. I kept it up to date, clean and in good working order. The charging cable was never subject to damage or force. Out of the blue, a few days ago I plugged my laptop in overnight to find that the next morning, it had only charged part way. I thought that was odd, so I plugged it in again to notice that the the computer would beeb - start charging - beep - stop charging and the the blue and amber light would just start blinking. I followed all of the suggestions in this post. Nothing worked. Both the battery report and Acer Care battery check reveal nothing out of the ordinary and that the battery health was good. 

Having exhausted all the options presented here so far, I opened the bottom of my laptop and physically unplugged the battery from the motherboard and then plugged it back in. Without turning my laptop back in, I plugged it in to charge and…IT WORKED! It showed a solid amber light and that it was charging normally. I was thrilled, and thought I had solved the problem. I waited until my laptop was completely charged and the light was a solid blue, then I turned my laptop back on keeping it plugged it. I used it for about 15 minutes if so with no problem and then before I knew it…BEEP! And the amber and blue light starts blinking again and the laptop acts as if it is no longer plugged it - the battery had once again stopped charging. All I was doing was using Microsoft edge to order food. Very minor stuff. 

So - back to the drawing board. I opened the laptop again, removed the battery as I had last time, plugged it back in and then once against attempted a charge. However this time, instead of working it blinked amber and blue right off the bat. Defeated, I left the battery unplugged and I am now running the laptop off direct power. I find it odd that this just happens completely out of the blue. The charger isn’t faulty, it can power my laptop no problem when I bypass the battery. I wish I could tell what in the world is going on here. I have to assume the battery is faulty, but I read from other posts here that changing out the battery doesn’t seem to fix the issue and it just returns eventually. Acer…please help us!

• JackE
    Difficult to tell anything about a charger with a multimeter due to the way charger's usually fail.  Which is under load and over-heated like when it's plugged into the laptop under intensive gaming loads. About all you can tell with a multimeter is the open circuit voltage (about 19v), not what its voltage is under load. Replacement chargers for your model are less than $25. So maybe worth a try. But you get no 100% guarantees.

Sounds to me like the battery controller has expired or battery itself has a shorted cell if it runs on the charger alone. Replacement batteries are about $30. Maybe worth a try. But you also get no 100% guarantees.

Jack E/NJ

• DailyNightly
    DailyNightly Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the insight. Small new development - when I unplug and plug in the charger over and over in rapid succession it seems to fix the problem for anywhere from about 15-20 minutes before it starts blinking again. Still very odd. I’ll buy a new battery and see what happens
  • JackE
    >>> I unplug and plug in the charger over and over in rapid succession it seems to fix the problem for anywhere from about 15-20 minutes before it starts blinking again.>>>

The charger is also known as a switching power supply whose regulator rapidly switches the charging current on & off in pulses in response to what the battery's internal regulator is telling it. Rapidly unplugging & plugging in the charger might tend to confuse things for a while.  :o

Jack E/NJ

• Tulsi
    Tulsi Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Tulsi said:
    Hello Acer community. I have Acer Aspire 5742. For considerably long, I have been facing the problem of the blue, orange and power led blinking when I plug in the charger. I have tried all the procedures supposed to fix it found on the internet. I have changed the charger, the battery and even the charging port. Nothing has solved my problem. It seems like most of the Acer owners have this problem. So, why doesn't Acer manufacturer address this? Have they been not able to figure out the solution to this? I am going to resolve to discarding this junk and never ever turning to Acer again. 

I have somehow fixed this issue in my Acer.
  • du_mithrandir
    du_mithrandir Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey guys, I have the Aspire 5 A515-51G and i'm facing the same issues. Have you guys been able to fix this problem?
  • Andre7419
    Andre7419 Member Posts: 1 New User
    JackE said:
    Remove the charger. Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds. Then insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the bottom cover for 30 seconds. Wait 15mins. Plug the charger back in. If steady orange charging LED, don't try to turn machine on till steady blue. If still blinking orange LED, battery is likely unrecoverable due to being drained for extended period below critical level (less than about 4%). Jack E/NJ 
    I have the same problem on my Aspire E15 but there is no battery reset pinhole?
  • JackE
    Then the screws must be removed and bottom cover pried off to disconnect the battery pack from the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• jaydcac
    jaydcac Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey everyone,
    I was facing this problem since last one week. And found a solution after many hit and trials. You just need to uninstall all battery drivers from device manager and restart the laptop. I believe it's a part of planned obsolescence. That's why I always try not to update my system.
  • mrmeowmeow
    mrmeowmeow Member Posts: 4 New User
    JackE said:
    Remove the charger. Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds. Then insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the bottom cover for 30 seconds. Wait 15mins. Plug the charger back in. If steady orange charging LED, don't try to turn machine on till steady blue. If still blinking orange LED, battery is likely unrecoverable due to being drained for extended period below critical level (less than about 4%). Jack E/NJ 
    Hey JackE,

I think I have similar issue or alike 
    my Acer won't turn on and blue then orange light up then turned off the same time then 2 white lights blink with sound or draining power  (i think)

do you have any solution to this?
  • Ajiksama
    Ajiksama Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

my laptop predator triton 300 also has this same issue. It seems like gaming, especially when I play apex legend, I noticed the problem seems to takes place. but when I use my laptop for daily purposes like surfing the internet, it occurs rarely but is still possible. this problem is so annoying because I've already sent my laptop to Acer service center for repair and they change a new battery for me. Still, unfortunately, the problem persists, and it cost me 300 ringgit Malaysia. sad to see that the Acer service center was not even looking deep into the problem and just doing an easy way by replacing a new battery which did not even solve the problem. 
  • OguzS
    OguzS Member Posts: 1 New User

i have the same laptop i leave my laptop turned the other meaning i put the laptop monitor on the table with the under side of the laptop facing up / toward myself then i removed the cover. when i am playing both lights are blue i am paying csgo with around 70-80 fps then the fps dropes to 5 - 10 fps then i look at the lights then i either see the orange light blink or both blink the laptop is not charging then i turn on a portable fan i have and i put it to max speed and i aim the fan fan towards the 2 square with the copper tubing passing on top after some time the fps goes back but the light is still blinking and not charging to fix that i remove and plug it back then it is blue and orange. So basically the problem is the cooling the laptop gets too hot to charge and it stops charging. YOU DONT NEED TO DO WHAT I DID but buy a good laptop cooler.