Wifi Connection issues.

Taylor_Iley
Taylor_Iley Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a Acer Nitro 515-54.

I purchased it only a week ago, It keeps on dropping the internet connection (WiFi) - I'm not in a position to Hardwire it via ethernet cable so thats out the window for now.
I've been reading all the forums and I have gone onto device manager and unticked the Allow the computer to turn off to save power under power management.

I've gone onto the windows update and have performed all updates.

Im not a massive tech wizard - But I read about manually downloading and installing a driver, so I proceeded to do this and then deleting the one current installed, I couldnt work out how to instal the new driver - so I factory reset the laptop, still having all the same issues.

Does anyone know a way around this? I'm happy to allow a remote access if this can help resolve the issue.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Could you please try changing the DNS address to one of the following providers, you can choose the one suits your system by trial and error method, the "how to" is in the link below.
    Google-> Primary: 8.8.8.8
                  Secondary:8.8.4.4
    Open DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Cloudflare: 1.1.1.1
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/changing-your-dns-settings-on-windows-10/
  • Taylor_Iley

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Could you please try changing the DNS address to one of the following providers, you can choose the one suits your system by trial and error method, the "how to" is in the link below.
    Google-> Primary: 8.8.8.8
                  Secondary:8.8.4.4
    Open DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Cloudflare: 1.1.1.1
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/changing-your-dns-settings-on-windows-10/
    Hey man, thank you for the help - However, the issue is still arising after trying all of the DNS you provided.

Any other ideas before i send the laptop back?
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    You could try flushing DNS, go to cmd and run as admin, type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.
    and
    Try changing Preferred band(2.4GHz or 5GHz), check  whether you have 801.11ac for wireless mode, these settings may be dependant on the WiFI card you have in your laptop.

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,082 Pathfinder
    edited April 2020
    @Taylor_Iley try these steps i always do when i have high ping

1)go to device manager →then right on your wireless AC driver then click on update driver.it will update if available 

2)go to settings →window&security→troubleshoot→then run troubleshoot 1st internet connection then network adapter 

3)open cmd as administrator then type these commands one by one.

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns
    Click yes if problem

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Taylor_Iley

Tinkerer

@Taylor_Iley try these steps i always do when i have high ping

1)go to device manager →then right on your wireless AC driver then click on update driver.it will update if available 

2)go to settings →window&security→troubleshoot→then run troubleshoot 1st internet connection then network adapter 

3)open cmd as administrator then type these commands one by one.

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns
    Click yes if problem

Hey man, appreciate the help! However, still no luck as of yet.
    Any further ideas? The trouble shoot on both the connection, then the adapter come back with no issues.
    The driver is up todate - through windows update and though the device manager >network etc.
    All the RUN CMD done one by one - laptop was on for 45 mins then disconnected from the wifi again

Hi,
    You could try flushing DNS, go to cmd and run as admin, type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.
    and
    Try changing Preferred band(2.4GHz or 5GHz), check  whether you have 801.11ac for wireless mode, these settings may be dependant on the WiFI card you have in your laptop.

Hey man - tried all of this, still no luck despite changing the bands.
  • brummyfan2
    Hi @Taylor_Iley
    Could you please post the model name of your WiFi card and the driver version currently installed.
  • Taylor_Iley

Tinkerer

Hi @Taylor_Iley
    Could you please post the model name of your WiFi card and the driver version currently installed.

@brummyfan2

Hey man - hope these are the correct settings you are looking for, I'm not that technical just trying my best here! 
    Thank you - I do really appreciate the help.
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited April 2020
    How many devices are connected to this AP? Is your laptop the only one that drops? You can try to set different 5ghz channel on the AP. How you will ashure that replaceing the laptop will fix the issue? Some APs have options to disconnect devices after preset of time..., make sure you have checked everything before returning the laptop because:
    1. You will be without laptop for several weeks.
    2. You may get the same laptop back as the support may not be able to replicate the issue.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• brummyfan2
    Hi @Taylor_Iley

@brummyfan2

Hey man - hope these are the correct settings you are looking for, I'm not that technical just trying my best here! 
    Thank you - I do really appreciate the help.
    Hi,
    No problem, could you please tell me whether you upgraded the WiFi card or it came with the laptop.
  • Taylor_Iley

Tinkerer

batmalin said:
    How many devices are connected to this AP? Is your laptop the only one that drops? You can try to set different 5ghz channel on the AP. How you will ashure that replaceing the laptop will fix the issue?
    Hey matey, on the Router we have.. 5 Phones, 2 Ipads and 1 Laptop.
    There was 3 xbox's however we hard wired them in via Ethernet a month ago.
    We did have a third iPad (My work one, so i took that off and just use the 4G on it since I don't pay for it / use it at home anyway.) 

I've set the laptops preferred band to the 5GHz however not to sure around how to setting it in the router itself - if I was to do this would it knock out all the phones on the 2GHz? Or can I set the AP 5GHz to a piece of equipment such as the laptop.

To be honest with you I'm not 100% sure replacing the laptop would solve the issue - but after constant searching online it appears this is a common fault with this laptop, so it's a big indicator its the laptop thats at fault you know?

Thanks for your response! 

• Taylor_Iley

Tinkerer

Hi,
    No problem, could you please tell me whether you upgraded the WiFi card or it came with the laptop.
    Yep, When the laptop first arrived (A week ago today) It seemed to be ok for like a day or two, then it started to drop so after some research I see about updating the drivers - so I did this without actually noting if the driver had changed model you know?
    I've just gone to device manager and I can't roll back the driver - so It's currently on the one that comes with the laptop. (I presume) 

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Yep, When the laptop first arrived (A week ago today) It seemed to be ok for like a day or two, then it started to drop so after some research I see about updating the drivers - so I did this without actually noting if the driver had changed model you know?
    I've just gone to device manager and I can't roll back the driver - so It's currently on the one that comes with the laptop. (I presume) 

OK, go to Intel driver download site, download and install the driver version 21.80.2.1 and install and see whether it helps.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29455/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=189347
  • brummyfan2
    I was not asking about the driver update, I was asking whether you changed the WiFi card.
  • Taylor_Iley

Tinkerer

I was not asking about the driver update, I was asking whether you changed the WiFi card.
    Oh sorry - then in that case now, I haven't changed it. Sorry!

It's been ok now since around 11:30am - which is probably the longest its been like it after following your previous instructions and the others on this post.
    If it drops again ill download the new driver and see what happens - will keep you posted!
    Thanks again. :)
  • Taylor_Iley

Tinkerer

Hi,

OK, go to Intel driver download site, download and install the driver version 21.80.2.1 and install and see whether it helps.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29455/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=189347
    The wifi dropped around 13:40, So I've just downloaded this driver and its been installed and is now showing.
    Will keep posted.
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,

The wifi dropped around 13:40, So I've just downloaded this driver and its been installed and is now showing.
    Will keep posted.
    Good luck   🤞
  • acp6
    acp6 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I've had this same problem on my nitro 7 same wi-fi card, ax 200. I've tried all the basic software solutions I could find. I've noticed that on 2.4ghz band the connection is rather stable and the issues happen mostly on 5ghz bands. So if you are fine with lower speed and reliability you can set the wi-fi to preffer that band, you can see how in the images above.

For 5ghz, AC connection I do the following and it kind of works for many hours at a time. First set the wi-fi mode to ac in device manager, make it prefer 5ghz if you wanna be sure it connects to ac. When it inevitably drops the connection, open control panel(the old windows 7 one), find the window with the network adpaters, then disable WIFI adapter, wait for it, then re-enable it. Also check the connect automatically to your particular network in the wi-fi menu in the windows taskbar for fast reconnect.

If you keep the adapter window open the downtime when the connection drops is less than 30 secs, and for me after I reset it this way once or twice the connection keeps working for many hours afterwards.
  • Taylor_Iley

Tinkerer

Hi,

Hey man - Just wanted to update you, After installing this driver.. Thursday? I think it was.
    The wifi dropped out about 20 mins after it was connected - I assumed it may have just been re-adjusting to the new driver or something and left it.
    My laptop has not dropped the wifi since!
    I left it running for for a good part of Friday, and almost all of today on an online game just AFK - I would have been able to tell if it had dropped as i would have disconnected.
    However, this wasn't the case! So touch wood the new intel update driver has resolved the issue!

Just wanted to thank you for all your help.
    Top stuff!
    LEGEND.

• Taylor_Iley

Tinkerer

acp6 said:
    I've had this same problem on my nitro 7 same wi-fi card, ax 200. I've tried all the basic software solutions I could find. I've noticed that on 2.4ghz band the connection is rather stable and the issues happen mostly on 5ghz bands. So if you are fine with lower speed and reliability you can set the wi-fi to preffer that band, you can see how in the images above.

For 5ghz, AC connection I do the following and it kind of works for many hours at a time. First set the wi-fi mode to ac in device manager, make it prefer 5ghz if you wanna be sure it connects to ac. When it inevitably drops the connection, open control panel(the old windows 7 one), find the window with the network adpaters, then disable WIFI adapter, wait for it, then re-enable it. Also check the connect automatically to your particular network in the wi-fi menu in the windows taskbar for fast reconnect.

If you keep the adapter window open the downtime when the connection drops is less than 30 secs, and for me after I reset it this way once or twice the connection keeps working for many hours afterwards.
    Hey matey - Read the previous comments above in this thread, a particular one from Brummyfan2 where he posts the link of a Intel website for their drivers.
    After I installed the one I needed ive had no issues with my laptop since - its been 3 days and it hasnt dropped once, where as it would drop every 30-60 mins prior.

I tried alot of which you have mentioned above with no success - Would highly recommend following Brummyfan2 instructions as I said.
    Hopefully resolves your issue to!
    Let me know if you try it, let me know if it works!

Thank you for your assistance regardless, much appreciated!