Unable to use windows with intel optane

Options
2»

Answers

• KurtLoki
    KurtLoki Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    So did my answer help you solve the problem?
    Yes, But i think it's important install windows 10 in AHCI mode because otherwise i remember i had a different problem (in the previous formatting and OS install) before windows start, with a BCD Boot BSOD that doesn't allow safe mode windows, i had to disable secure boot. And Then follow those steps and your mode to enable safe boot (more problem with safe mode enabled by Shift button before restart or safe mode from Setting preference window).
    Thank you egydiocoelho
  • KurtLoki

Tinkerer

edited March 2020
    Options
    post error
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You are welcome my friend.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Catel
    Catel Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    KurtLoki said:
    SOLVED!

Here is what i've done after my last comment:
    Switched in BIOS from "RST with Optane" to "AHCI", restarted windows, disabled safe mode from msconfig, restarted windows,  unistalled IRST and Intel Optane software (this last one installed from Microsoft store because i can't install IRST AND optane software from executable file from intel center download), restarted windows, installed Intel Optane software and before the end of installation i've selected "Do. not restart pc", enabled safe mode windows by msconfig, after Windows restart, opened a optane software a select "Enable optane acceleration". Restarted windows again (asked from last step of optane optimization software) and before windows start (just after user login, in black screen with the mouse pointer only). After another automatically restart the computer is automatically set in "RST with Optane" in bios and NOT in safe mode windows. It's working. Thanks to everybody.

Hi KurtLoki,
    I'm having the same problem with exactly the same model pc A315-51-33zh.
    I'm trying and trying to install Optane but nothing to do. 
    Last time, after a clean win10 home  installation in AHCI mode, I installed Optane drive - SetupOptaneMemory.exe (75.269 k).
    The installation lasted about10-15 minutes (too long, in my opinion).
    I restarted the pc immediatly after installation and then the pc never started again (blue recovery screen); I ckecked in the bios and there was still AHCI mode set. I changed in RST Optane but  again I saw blue recovery screen.
    And so I reinstalled in AHCI mode Win 10 and now I've a slow pc, without Optane

I've some questions :
    Did you use windodows 10 home edition?  Version?
    Which Optane sw did you use?   I used this one:
    SetupOptaneMemory.exe (75.269 k) Version: 17.8.0.1065 (Latest) Date: 1/20/2020
    from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29340?v=t?
    how many time Optane installation took?

tkss
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020
    Options
    You should disable secure boot in Windows and then first with optane in BIOS.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Catel
    Options
    Debe habilitar el arranque seguro en Windows y luego primero con optane en la BIOS.
    I don't understand your replay, I need to know Which Optane sw/driver I have to use for my notebook 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Catel Ideally, you should create a new topic. Add me by placing an @, which I will tell you how to activate the optane memory.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• KurtLoki

Tinkerer

Options
    Catel said:
    KurtLoki said:
    SOLVED!

Here is what i've done after my last comment:
    Switched in BIOS from "RST with Optane" to "AHCI", restarted windows, disabled safe mode from msconfig, restarted windows,  unistalled IRST and Intel Optane software (this last one installed from Microsoft store because i can't install IRST AND optane software from executable file from intel center download), restarted windows, installed Intel Optane software and before the end of installation i've selected "Do. not restart pc", enabled safe mode windows by msconfig, after Windows restart, opened a optane software a select "Enable optane acceleration". Restarted windows again (asked from last step of optane optimization software) and before windows start (just after user login, in black screen with the mouse pointer only). After another automatically restart the computer is automatically set in "RST with Optane" in bios and NOT in safe mode windows. It's working. Thanks to everybody.

Hi KurtLoki,
    I'm having the same problem with exactly the same model pc A315-51-33zh.
    I'm trying and trying to install Optane but nothing to do. 
    Last time, after a clean win10 home  installation in AHCI mode, I installed Optane drive - SetupOptaneMemory.exe (75.269 k).
    The installation lasted about10-15 minutes (too long, in my opinion).
    I restarted the pc immediatly after installation and then the pc never started again (blue recovery screen); I ckecked in the bios and there was still AHCI mode set. I changed in RST Optane but  again I saw blue recovery screen.
    And so I reinstalled in AHCI mode Win 10 and now I've a slow pc, without Optane

I've some questions :
    Did you use windodows 10 home edition?  Version?
    Which Optane sw did you use?   I used this one:
    SetupOptaneMemory.exe (75.269 k) Version: 17.8.0.1065 (Latest) Date: 1/20/2020
    from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29340?v=t?
    how many time Optane installation took?

tkss
    Hi Catel,

I think you should try if your optane is working well. As first step i suggest to install windows 10 (i don't remember which version was, the laptop wasn't mine) in AHCI mode and you should see the optane module in "disk manager" windows as a normal hdd/sdd (after format in disk manager, try to copy or move some files to check if is working). If you can use it, it should work. After this verify you must enable safe mode using the panel "msconfig" from start menu (click on windows button in the bottom left corner and write "msconfig", even if you can't see the input box text) and on the startup option (i'm translating from italian so the name could be different) and check "eneable safe". This step is very important because my laptop didn't start in safe mode from EFI start (i mean it's the only way to start in safe mode, you can't start in safe mode from "advanced option start" before windows start). Then, have you disabled secure boot in bios? I remember the BSOD (the blue screen error literally Blue Screen Of Death) was a different with secure boot enebled or disabled. Be careful, this secure boot in BIOS is different from safe boot windows. Check this secure boot in bios, generally the secure boot in BIOS is next to "boot priority". The driver was the last i've found on intel website, in the same page you should find 3 or 4 download, 2 of them are "SetupOptane" and "RST intel". I've used SetupOptane.
    I didn't remeber how many minutes Optane installation took, but i think 15 min are accetable kwoning the system is working in HDD mode (very slow in my case).
    Let me know.
  • Catel
    Options
    @Catel Ideally, you should create a new topic. Add me by placing an @, which I will tell you how to activate the optane memory.
    egydiocoelhoKurtLoki.
    KurtLoki resolved the problem and for this reason I'm writing just in this topic.
    I'ld appreciate your help in identifing the right sw. Have I to instal the driver befor the sw or the driver is included  in SetupOptaneMemory.exe ?
    Which version?
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,264 Trailblazer
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi @egydiocoelho
    Can you check please if my Acer A515-54G-70AG S/N: NXHNBSP0029340F26E7600 has an Optane module onboard, as I don't think so. The laptop came pre-installed (Philippines) with Optane software version 17.8.1007.0 but the driver version is 17.5.0.1017 (the same version as RST that I installed later from Acer Support, maybe they share drivers) MY UEFI (BIOS) is set to "RST with OPTANE" (default). I believe this same model in Europe also comes with SSD (and 8GB DDR4) but in my case only Seagate 1TB HDD Model ST1000LM035-1RK172.  I do have two GPU boards with RAM; is Optane possibly interacting with GPU RAM? I only have 1 DDR4 4GB module but are about to install another DDR4 same type to get Dual Channel. My question is: Why was Optane installed by Acer on my laptop, should I get rid of it? Meanwhile I installed RST that I cannot uninstall anymore as my HDD goes bad (something to to with Raid-AHCI) I read that RST works with only 1 HDD and that it needs Optane? I am not planning to upgrade to SSD. Advice welcome

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Puraw This specific model does not come with the optane memory, see: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2019/4876/A515-54G/NX.HNBSP.002.htmlThis model comes with only a 1tb hdd.
    1) No. The optane memory will serve as cache memory for the hard drive, improving the read and write rate. Your model does not come with the optane memory installed.2) The optane memory software is installed at the factory, as the installation process is standardized by Acer.3) I advise you to disable rst with optane, because of the risk of turning your unit into a recovery unit. To uninstall intel rapid storage and the optane memory program, do this:a) first enable safe boot: to do this, press the windows + r keys and type msconfig. Go to boot and enable safe boot. Then, restart windows and uninstall the intel rapid storage programs and the optane memory program.b) then access the bios and change the sata mode to ahci. You may need to press ctrl + s to enable sata mode.
    "I advise you to purchase a ssd m2 2280: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-A515-54G/144464"

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Puraw
    Options
    @egydiocoelho
    Another (unrelated) question, I just updated my BIOS to 1.18 and Intel VIX is now enabled, was disabled in my older BIOS, what is this VIX and should I leave it enabled?
    Thanks
  • Puraw
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @Puraw This specific model does not come with the optane memory, see: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2019/4876/A515-54G/NX.HNBSP.002.html
    This model comes with only a 1tb hdd.

1) No. The optane memory will serve as cache memory for the hard drive, improving the read and write rate. Your model does not come with the optane memory installed.
    2) The optane memory software is installed at the factory, as the installation process is standardized by Acer.
    3) I advise you to disable rst with optane, because of the risk of turning your unit into a recovery unit. To uninstall intel rapid storage and the optane memory program, do this:
    a) first enable safe boot: to do this, press the windows + r keys and type msconfig. Go to boot and enable safe boot. Then, restart windows and uninstall the intel rapid storage programs and the optane memory program.
    b) then access the bios and change the sata mode to ahci. You may need to press ctrl + s to enable sata mode.

You did not say how to uninstall in Safe Mode so I tried Programs and features (Control panel) in Safe Mode and that did not work (cannot connect to the server errors) Here are the screens:

I think I can uninstall the programs in normal mode but may get HDD issues, how to uninstall?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Check here:
    a) first enable safe boot: to do this, press the windows + r keys and type msconfig. Go to boot and enable safe boot. Then, restart windows and uninstall the intel rapid storage programs and the optane memory program.
    b) then access the bios and change the sata mode to ahci. You may need to press ctrl + s to enable sata mode.
    You must have an administrator account.

On the other question, you must be referring to the intel VT-x, correct? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005486/processors.html

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Puraw
    Options
    @egydiocoelho, you cannot uninstall programs in Safe Mode with Programs and features (Control panel) in W10, there is no connection to the server when booting with Minimal Safe Mode (see screen shot above). I uninstalled in normal mode and everything went fine. I am on AHCI now.
    Thanks
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    So everything is working correctly @Puraw?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Puraw
    Options
    Booting seems a bit slower (5 sec.) than RAID maybe less when compared with RST, shutdown is the same (12 sec.) but so far no issues. The most difficult part was getting SATA to change in my new BIOS 1.18.
    Thanks
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @PurawOK! If my answer helped you, click yes to accept.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer