Unable to use windows with intel optane

KurtLoki
KurtLoki Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
I'm trying to using windows with an intel optane on board on my laptop. I've had to install windows from usb key because the restore partition doesn't work well (i've got, during the restore, "unable to restore"), so i decided to make a clean installation. I've made it with bios in "RST with optane" but after installation, the pc get stuck on the first black screen, restarting again and again.
When i've disabled "RST with optane" from bios, selecting AHCI mode, everythings work fine but the laptop is very slow. Now if i switch again in "RST with optane" i got a blue screen when i turn on my laptop.
I've tried to install Windows with secure boot and without, with "RST with Optane" and "AHCI", but if i start in "RST with Optane" i always got a BSOD (BSC file error or something similar).
I've tried install IntelOptaneMemory.exe after AHCI installation windows (i think the program has changed the bios setting after restarting), but i have still the same problem? Is there some way to solve it? Maybe the Optane memory is damaged?(i can see the disk without partition in Disk Manager if the BIOS in in AHCI mode)

Thanks
Bye

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    So this model supports the optane memory. To activate it, activate windows safe boot like this:

Then restart the computer and change the sata mode to rst with optane. The correct driver will be installed in safe mode. Then activate the optane memory like this: https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000023853/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• What is the exact model of the notebook? Example AN515-51-75KZ. To make this change in sata mode, you must first enable safe boot in msconfig on windows. Then restart your computer and change the sata mode to ahci.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • KurtLoki

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho thanks. The model is A315-51-33ZH, How can i do it? Meanwhile i've checked the disk in windows (with  AHCI set in BIOS) at it works well as hard disk.
  • this model does not support the optane memory.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• KurtLoki

Tinkerer

What is mean? I didn't upgrade the hardware. What the reason for "OPTANE" label and the Optane module?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    As my colleague @egydiocoelho has stated your model does not support Optane Memory, I have no idea what label you are referring to and it has no Optane module installed, it may be a BIOS option but only because the BIOS is also used with Optane ready models. The chart below is from the Service Guide for your model and Optane is not listed as compatible in Storage Devices, SATA 6gb is your only SSD option. Also the link below is to the official Acer specs for your model and again Optane is not listed as an option under Storage. Finally none of the Nitro 5 series laptops that are Optane ready are shipped with Optane already installed, it is an end user upgrade. In conclusion you are trying to install something that isn't there and that is why you are having problems
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.GZ4EK.001

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• KurtLoki

Tinkerer

It's really strange, i think there is some missunderstanding about model.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/it/IT/content/model/NX.H28ET.003
    This one it's the model. Could it be different for country to contry? Btw in this link you can see in paragraph "Memory" (or "Memoria) as the last raw says "Capacità memoria Intel Optane" 16GB.

Please help me.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    I am totally confused too, the 33ZH is the country/region code so no confusion and the link below is to that exact model, again no mention of Optane memory. Has there been a sticker or labeling problem? because that model is not Optane ready and even if it was you would have to buy and install the Optane memory.
    https://www.laptoparena.net/acer/notebook-acer-aspire-a315-51-33zh-nx.h28et.003-7638

Also in the link you supplied above there is no mention of Optane memory

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Try pressing ctrl + s on the bios and check if the sata mode with rst with option appears. However, I still think that this model does not support optane memory.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• KurtLoki

Tinkerer

If i press ctrl+s nothing happen in bios, but as you can see in the following photo, it seems enabled for Optane. Anyway, now i've installed windows in AHCI mode and everything works and there is the optane module available in windows as Hard disk. Is there a way to enable this optane in Raid mode (as the optane should do)?

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    So this model supports the optane memory. To activate it, activate windows safe boot like this:

Then restart the computer and change the sata mode to rst with optane. The correct driver will be installed in safe mode. Then activate the optane memory like this: https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000023853/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• KurtLoki

Tinkerer

For the moment i have installed IRST and Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management (this one from microsoft store). Should i remove something before msconfig configuration?
  • Perhaps you should uninstall the controller driver and install the correct driver on the intel website.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• KurtLoki

Tinkerer

It's not easy to understand for me which one is correct. Now i've restarted in safe mode by the msconfig configuration and set RST with optane in Bios. For the first time windows start in "RST with optane" (safe mode obv) but if i try to execute IRST of Optane software no one start. The IRST says to me "a new version is available, download it" (this is the short description) and Optane don't even start.
    I don't understand if IRST software is enough for Optane function or i need to install Optane software also. Thanks
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• KurtLoki

Tinkerer

ah. How can i install new IRST if i've booted in safe mode? The installer says can't be installed because the service "windows installer" isn't available and event if i try to start the service i can't because "Windows installer service cannot be started in safe mode". Help me please!
  • OK! Now you must disable safe boot and restart windows and download the correct driver from the intel website.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• KurtLoki

Tinkerer

If i disable safe boot i'm afraid i can't boot windows. So i'm still confused about IRST and Optane because if i try to install OptaneSoftware i can't because installer says, "i can't install optane because there is IRST already installed". Surfing on intel website, i've seen IRST should manage optane with no problem. Can you clarify please?
  • OK! Do the following:
    a) Still in the safe boot, try to uninstall and delete the irst driver and the controller driver like this:

b) restart windows. Then disable safe boot and try to start windows normally.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• KurtLoki

Tinkerer

SOLVED!

Here is what i've done after my last comment:
    Switched in BIOS from "RST with Optane" to "AHCI", restarted windows, disabled safe mode from msconfig, restarted windows,  unistalled IRST and Intel Optane software (this last one installed from Microsoft store because i can't install IRST AND optane software from executable file from intel center download), restarted windows, installed Intel Optane software and before the end of installation i've selected "Do. not restart pc", enabled safe mode windows by msconfig, after Windows restart, opened a optane software a select "Enable optane acceleration". Restarted windows again (asked from last step of optane optimization software) and before windows start (just after user login, in black screen with the mouse pointer only). After another automatically restart the computer is automatically set in "RST with Optane" in bios and NOT in safe mode windows. It's working. Thanks to everybody.

• So did my answer help you solve the problem?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer