Linux with Best support for Predator Helios 300

ManojSharma
ManojSharma Member Posts: 1 New User
I bought a Acer Predator Helios 300 PH PH315-52-76WX
Configuration: Core i7 9th Gen - (16 GB RAM,1 TB HDD, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home/6 GB Graphics/NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Ti)

and I need to install best suitable Linux with driver support and stable performance.
also I will install it into HDD

I have installed Ubuntu 19.10 (eoan) and ran into following problems
1. Slow Startup
2. Battery drains too fast
3. sometimes touchpad stops working
4. If I lid down or computer sleeps, then following issues arises
    - Blank black Screen with blinking cursor
    - nothing works for a while (keyboard or mouse inputs).
    - sometimes it shows some error logs and then I need to restart it and my all work is lost.
5. Randomly crashes occurs and Ubuntu shows send the crash report to community
6. system is not running smoothly, It is over consuming resources and not resulting for same.
7. providing high configuration is resulting into slow processing and it's a headache...
8. Not sure about GPU support

people suggested Linux mint 19.3 but I'm not sure it will work in my laptop or not...please let me know review on linux mint 19.3. because I don't want to end up installing and trying new operating system everyday.

I prefer "Debian" and using it for a long time, but if "Arch" has support resolution for all the issues or any other...please share the information.

If any issue in my Ubuntu/Debian installation (I followed usual process to install ). let me know the correct steps so I can make sure everything is working expected and smooth

Please let me know the best suitable Linux/Dist. which provide best support for Acer Predator Helios 300 PH PH315-52-76WX

Thanks!!!

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening ManojSharma !

ANY Linux distro is adequate, as long as the user has adequate knowledge to perform installation and configuration of the system.
    Linux is not Windows and requires extensive knowledge of hardware and mainly to know how to work with terminal shell.

So the question is not which distribution has "support" but the KNOWLEDGE necessary to use Linux.

Any version can present a question that is easily resolved via the command line.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• adepeter
    adepeter Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I just downloaded manjaro iso, but really scared of dual booting with windows because this would be my first time of trying such. 

I don't wanna run into any issue.

Please moderators and people who have installed Linux successfully on helios 300 should come to our aid
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening adepeter !

To keep the forum organized and your question to have greater visibility, please avoid posting on topics already solved, opened by other users or inactive.
    Always open a new post, just as it was already guided by the moderators.
    Put an @ in front of my name that I guide you there for any questions.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,639 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    I installed Ubuntu 16 with no issues on both Predator 300 (G3-572) and Nitro 5 (515-42) with 0 issues. I installed on to an external SSD (connected via USB 3) so it won't interfere with my windows or data drives.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/585144/guide-installing-linux-on-nitro-5-an515-42

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Krunalpatil
    Krunalpatil Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought a Acer Predator Helios 300 PH PH315-52-76WX
    Configuration: Core i7 9th Gen - (16 GB RAM,1 TB HDD, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home/6 GB Graphics/NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Ti)

and I need to install best suitable Linux with driver support and stable performance.
    also I will install it into HDD

I have installed Ubuntu 19.10 (eoan) and ran into following problems
    1. Slow Startup
    2. Battery drains too fast
    3. sometimes touchpad stops working
    4. If I lid down or computer sleeps, then following issues arises
        - Blank black Screen with blinking cursor
        - nothing works for a while (keyboard or mouse inputs).
        - sometimes it shows some error logs and then I need to restart it and my all work is lost.
    5. Randomly crashes occurs and Ubuntu shows send the crash report to community
    6. system is not running smoothly, It is over consuming resources and not resulting for same.
    7. providing high configuration is resulting into slow processing and it's a headache...
    8. Not sure about GPU support

people suggested Linux mint 19.3 but I'm not sure it will work in my laptop or not...please let me know review on linux mint 19.3. because I don't want to end up installing and trying new operating system everyday.

I prefer "Debian" and using it for a long time, but if "Arch" has support resolution for all the issues or any other...please share the information.

If any issue in my Ubuntu/Debian installation (I followed usual process to install ). let me know the correct steps so I can make sure everything is working expected and smooth

Please let me know the best suitable Linux/Dist. which provide best support for Acer Predator Helios 300 PH PH315-52-76WX

Thanks!!!
    Yes
     The same issues with mine too. All issues are common i guess and no better solution to find online. Se laptop runs windows 10 for 4 5 hrs but in Ubuntu it's running no more than 1 hr at max. Also fan is continuously running in high speed. Overheats pretty quickly. Discharges. Tried to set graphics driver to openX but still same. My model is Helios 300 i5 1tb hdd 128gb sdd nvdia 1050ti. Bought in Nov. 2019. Acer community please help.