Predator G3-605 - Windows 8.1 product key not working.

HassanG
HassanG Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Got a Predator G3-605 that came with a Windos 8.1. Windows have been asking me to activate Windows and to enter a product key wich I've done but the key is not working. I found the activation key using Produkey. Please help!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Do you think someone tried to install the wrong Windows version? Different SKUs of the G3-605 had different OS versions installed originally, Windows 7, Windows 8 multi-language, Windows 8 single language, FreeDOS and Linpus X-windows. If yours didn't come with Windows  a previous owner might have tried to install a Windows without a valid activation key, such as a pirated copy.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HassanG
    HassanG Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    Do you think someone tried to install the wrong Windows version? Different SKUs of the G3-605 had different OS versions installed originally, Windows 7, Windows 8 multi-language, Windows 8 single language, FreeDOS and Linpus X-windows. If yours didn't come with Windows  a previous owner might have tried to install a Windows without a valid activation key, such as a pirated copy.
    That might of course be the issue, and it sounds like I need to reinstall Windows right? 
    But first let's make sure it is. When I bought the PC it asked me immediately after a product key. I found out what it was and it worked for almost 4 months. Now it's asking for activation again, which I find pretty wierd. You still think it's the case?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    edited February 2020
    A bad key switches to you trial mode with most of Microsoft products. They let you run long enough to get fully invested, then ask for the purchase. :) Trials are usually 120 days, which would fit the timeline. Try contacting them to see why it's not working. If the key is good they'll just step you through activation manually. If the key is bad then it's likely time to get on Amazon or Newegg or ... and purchase a license. No need for a reinstall, you just need a valid key for the version you have installed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.