Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-708W Cannot wake up after putting laptop to sleep!

Options
destinova
destinova Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
My laptop model is A515-54-708W. I'm having a lot of trouble using this machine. Yes, all my drivers are up to date, including BIOS driver (V1.12).

Now, the problem is that whenever the laptop goes to sleep (by closing the lid for example), I will be able to wake it up exactly once. If I try to put it to sleep again, it will never wake up again, no matter what buttons I press. I can hear the fans, but the keyboard does not light up, and the screen is completely black. If it is of any relevance, I cannot SSH into it either. The only solution when this happens is to shut down my laptop by holding the power button and booting it back on.

PLEASE CONTINUE READING:
This problem ONLY happens when I change the hidden SATA Mode in the BIOS from the default "RST with Optane" to "AHCI".
When I'm in the mode "RST with Optane", everything works perfectly fine. But the problem is that I need to have "AHCI" enabled to be able to install Linux on this laptop. It is crucial that I install Linux, so I really need to use "AHCI" mode here. 

This problem persists on every single OS I've tried. When SATA mode is "AHCI", the problem occurs on Windows 10 and also Linux distros. I have tried clean installing (completely reformatting my disk and reinstalling) Windows 10, Ubuntu, etc., but the problem still occurs. I have not downloaded any software/apps/programs/etc. so that cannot be the problem.

Please help
Thank you

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options
    Is an optane card actually installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• destinova

Tinkerer

Options
    No, there is no optane card installed.
  • JackE
    Options
    Do you recall if it ever worked correctly in AHCI mode, preferrably soon after you got it and before any firmware changes? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• destinova

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have a definite answer to that question. All I remember is that after dual-booting Linux, closing my laptop lid (sleep mode) did not function correctly (on either Linux or Windows), and after playing around with settings, I realized that it only happened when the SATA mode was AHCI mode. I completed wiped my drive after that and clean installed Windows 10, and the problem still persisted when it is in AHCI mode. I then tried wiping the drive and only installing a Linux distro, but again, the problem still happened
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>clean installed Windows 10>>>

Was this a factory install from the hidden recovery partition or a generic install from an MS iso? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• destinova

Tinkerer

Options
    I've done both actually. Now however I can't do it from the hidden recovery partition anymore since I wiped the drive :'(  
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>This problem persists on every single OS I've tried. When SATA mode is "AHCI", the problem occurs on Windows 10 and also Linux distros.>>>>>>closing my laptop lid (sleep mode) did not function correctly (on either Linux or Windows)>>>

This strongly suggests the BIOS firmware. Was there another issue you were trying to fix with the firmware update? If not, do you recall the original firmware version number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• destinova

Tinkerer

Options
    I haven't updated the BIOS. It came with the latest version (V1.12). Aside from SATA mode, I haven't changed anything in the BIOS.
  • JackE
    Options
    Good. Have we checked the lid function yet in the BIOS Main tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• destinova

Tinkerer

Options
    Yep that's enabled. The weird thing is that the first sleep works. It's only the second that freezes the laptop.
  • JackE
    Options
    What happens when you disable it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• destinova

Tinkerer

Options
    Same thing  :/
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Put it back to enabled. If you have an Advanced tab, try disabling virtual 64 options VTx and/or VTd. You don't need them. In some firmware, there might also be another SATA mode option in the Advanced tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• destinova

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, sorry for the really late reply. That didn't work either. However I decided to just add an additional SATA SSD to my laptop because I was getting desperate. Since "RST with Optane" hides only NVMe drives (i.e. the SSD that came with the laptop), I was able to get Linux to detect my new SATA SSD even in "RST with Optane" mode. So now I'm able to have "RST with Optane" as SATA mode and also have Linux installed, and the sleep functionality of laptop is now working perfectly.
  • JackE
    Options
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VJozef
    VJozef Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hello!

I have exactly the same problem.

A515-54G-3825

It has a 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD.

I installed Windows 10 on it, it can only be in ACHI mode. Opten mode has a blue screen when sleeping. See https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/581950/my-a515-54g-get-blue-screen-when-waking-from-sleep

What could be the solution? Adding another SATA SSD to me is not an option for now. Can you fix the problem differently?
  • JackE
    Options
  • VJozef
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response!

It was installed. I reinstalled it but no change.

Reinstall Windows RST with Optane mode? First I installed it like this, then it turned on the blue screen after sleep. See https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/581950/my-a515-54g-get-blue-screen-when-waking-from-sleep

This is eliminated by ACHI mode. Instead, he does not wake up after every second sleep.

Could the blue screen in RST with Opten mode be caused by an incorrect IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver? I also read that a newer version might not have a blue screen. It is possible? Because then I would reinstall Windows in RST with Opten mode.
  • JackE
    Options
    Have you tried to uninstall IRST in ACHI mode without re-installing anything. Then disable fast boot. Shut down. Then turn it back on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VJozef
    Options
    I did not install IRST in ACHI mode. The Commissioner will not cause this problem.

I have already tried the recommended solutions for Windows 10 wakeup problems. For example: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41977/~/windows-10-will-not-wake-up-from-sleep-mode

Also: https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+10+will+not+wake+up+from+sleep+mode&oq=Windows+10+will+not+wake+up+from+sleep+ mode = & AQS chrome..69i57j69i60l3.358j0j7 & chrome source = & ie = UTF-8

All I can think about is to reinstall Windows in RST with Optane mode. There I am afraid of the blue screen after sleeping because it happened the first time I installed it this way.

Do you have any other ideas?