Flickering / Loss of detail with movement on CG437K

Answers

• gamerbwoi
    gamerbwoi Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Same Issues.
    RMA'd
    Same issues.
    Issues only seemed to occur with PC. I tried Gsync off and it actually got better. But then screen tearing became an issue.
    PS4 looked beautiful on it with no flickering.
    But I am a PC player 90% of the time so going to return it.
    I am curious thou if AMD based GPUs get these issues? or Is it to do with G sync and AMD free sync compatibility issues.

Yeah, how are you connecting the monitor? What video card do you have?

What do you play?
  • ManDueri
    ManDueri Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hello all,

I'm coming back to this topic here because of the following:

I bought my CG437KP last November and, to put it in a nutshell, I'm quite happy with it. Bevor the purchase, I read about the characteristics it has, the flicker issue and the kind of blurriness it may have but nevertheless, I bought one. 

The flicker issue is also present on my CG437KP only at low FPS and it's not that severe in my opinion, but I decided to establish a ticket at the acer technical support just to get info, if there are any news or updates from Acer about that or if Acer is doing something about that.

My question was forwared to the Acer headquarters and yesterday, I got a surprising answer:

The flicker problem was fixed and a firmware update is available from at 1th of february 2021 

So anyone, who has an issue regarding the flickering, should establish a ticket at the acer technical support to get help now.

The disadvantage is (at least currently), that the firmware update can only be performed at the Acer technical service directly. So you will have to send your monitor to them. Let's see, if there will be a downloadable firmware update in the future like the one from the Acer X35.

Hopefully, this info helps some of you and if someone got that update, it would be fine to share the result here (I will do the same) so that other users get informed, if the update really works, thanks!

Regards

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,699 Trailblazer
    It's unlikely they will offer anything downloadable. Firmware updates take a special hardware device connected to the inside of the monitor...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ManDueri

Tinkerer

For the mentioned Acer X35, the firmware updater uses the display port combined with an NVidia graphics card >= GTX1060 and therefore, it can be done by the customer itself.
    But, yeah, it's more unlikely, that they will offer downloadable updates in general unless the pressure rises from the customers like happened with the Acer X35 and the Asus PG35VQ scanlines issue.

Regards 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,699 Trailblazer
    I believe you are thinking of the X27, not the X35...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BrutalBipedal
    BrutalBipedal Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

I have all of those same issues with mine. I purchased it back in July 2020. With Windows HDR enabled in HDR games the bloom and washed out issues are terrible. I’be a ticket open with Acer to resolve, such a letdown.
  • ManDueri

Tinkerer

Regarding the washed out issue, HDR in Windows is still broken for different HDR monitors, this is usually not an issue with the monitor itself.
    All these monitors run HDR on consoles without any issue.

If you have an NVidia card, after enabling HDR in Windows and in the monitor menu, go to the NVidia control panel / Adjust desktop color settings

Set Use NVidia settings 
    Set gamma to 1.10
    Increase contrast + 20% approx
    Set digital vibrance to approx. 65%

Whenever you turn on HDR, use the NVidia settings and the other application setting otherwise.

Just give it a try, you won't be disapointed :) 

Regards
  • BrutalBipedal

Tinkerer

ManDueri said:
    Regarding the washed out issue, HDR in Windows is still broken for different HDR monitors, this is usually not an issue with the monitor itself.
    All these monitors run HDR on consoles without any issue.

If you have an NVidia card, after enabling HDR in Windows and in the monitor menu, go to the NVidia control panel / Adjust desktop color settings

Set Use NVidia settings 
    Set gamma to 1.10
    Increase contrast + 20% approx
    Set digital vibrance to approx. 65%

Whenever you turn on HDR, use the NVidia settings and the other application setting otherwise.

Just give it a try, you won't be disapointed :) 

Regards
    Thanks I will give this a try. Can you be more specific around the contrast please? :) 

Also this is a PC gaming monitor, it can also display the last gen consoles well but ultimately its a PC Monitor.  

• ManDueri

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    Regarding the contrast, just take the value, which is already adjusted in the NVidia settings in non-HDR mode and add 20% on it.
    Let's say, you have 56% contrast adjusted in the settings in SDR mode, then set this value to 76% after you switched to HDR, that's it :)

I was also confused and disappointed about the washed out HDR at the beginning, and I found the hint above in a forum. Since I followed this hint, HDR looks really gorgeous.

Remember, that the values I mentioned are only a suggestion, just play around with them a little to find out the setting, which fits best to your needs.

Only annoying thing is, that you have to switch to these NVidia settings again whenever you turn windows to HDR, but it's not that critical in my opinion.

Just let me know, if you succeeded, thanks :) 

• BrutalBipedal

Tinkerer

ManDueri said:
    Regarding the contrast, just take the value, which is already adjusted in the NVidia settings in non-HDR mode and add 20% on it.
    Let's say, you have 56% contrast adjusted in the settings in SDR mode, then set this value to 76% after you switched to HDR, that's it :)

I was also confused and disappointed about the washed out HDR at the beginning, and I found the hint above in a forum. Since I followed this hint, HDR looks really gorgeous.

Remember, that the values I mentioned are only a suggestion, just play around with them a little to find out the setting, which fits best to your needs.

Only annoying thing is, that you have to switch to these NVidia settings again whenever you turn windows to HDR, but it's not that critical in my opinion.

Thanks, I will give this a go later today. My major issue is flickering with G-Sync enabled, its terrible with this monitor.
  • BrutalBipedal

Tinkerer

ManDueri said:

And just to clarify...the changes are on 'Adjust desktop colour settings'?
  • BrutalBipedal

Tinkerer

ManDueri said:
    This is definitely better, thank you. It looks like I may need to send the monitor to Acer to have the firmware updated to stop the flickering. However because their support so far have been abysmal I am just looking to get a refund and I will be getting an LG C1 48" and wall mounting it. Seems True 4K monitors for PC are dead.
  • ManDueri

Tinkerer

Mmmh, for me, the Acer support (Germany) always answered really quick within one day except the time period, they waited for an answer from the Acer headquarters which ... after two weeks ... ended up with the info, that a new firmware is available. For me, the flickering is an issue, yes, but only for games, where my RTX3080 is delivering <60 FPS. So for e.g. Cyberpunk 2077, which I played until yesterday, I used the good old standard 60FPS v-sync  instead of g-sync. At these FPS, G-Sync is not really a bonus anyway. 
    Since 2 days, I am playing Horizion Zero Dawn, which delivers approximately 65-80FPS, using G-Sync and HDR with Ultra Settings. Looks really gorgeous and flickering is absolutely no more an issue with that FPS.
    I have the possibility to send my CG to Acer for a firmware update to finally get rid of the flicker issue. But because of the corona virus, I work from home all the time and I depend on my monitor, so sending it to Acer is currently suboptimal. But as per Acer's info, the firmware update can be done for free any time within the term of garatuee. 
    Summarized, I will stick with this monitor anyway due to the gaming experiences I had the last weeks, 
    But indeed, I really don't believe, that Acer did not know about the flickering issue when they decided to sell it in that config, it's a shame somehow.

Regards
  • ajithkumark
    ajithkumark Member Posts: 1 New User
    ManDueri said:
    Mmmh, for me, the Acer support (Germany) always answered really quick within one day except the time period, they waited for an answer from the Acer headquarters which ... after two weeks ... ended up with the info, that a new firmware is available. For me, the flickering is an issue, yes, but only for games, where my RTX3080 is delivering <60 FPS. So for e.g. Cyberpunk 2077, which I played until yesterday, I used the good old standard 60FPS v-sync  instead of g-sync. At these FPS, G-Sync is not really a bonus anyway. 
    Since 2 days, I am playing Horizion Zero Dawn, which delivers approximately 65-80FPS, using G-Sync and HDR with Ultra Settings. Looks really gorgeous and flickering is absolutely no more an issue with that FPS.
    I have the possibility to send my CG to Acer for a firmware update to finally get rid of the flicker issue. But because of the corona virus, I work from home all the time and I depend on my monitor, so sending it to Acer is currently suboptimal. But as per Acer's info, the firmware update can be done for free any time within the term of garatuee. 
    Summarized, I will stick with this monitor anyway due to the gaming experiences I had the last weeks, 
    But indeed, I really don't believe, that Acer did not know about the flickering issue when they decided to sell it in that config, it's a shame somehow.

Regards
    Hey ManDueri, I just got this monitor, and I have a very strange issue. Out of the box, the colors are washed out. Very bad. (Note: This is not about HDR. I don't use HDR at all). With any mode in the monitor (be it standard, eco or graphics), the monitor looks very washed out. I have disabled HDR in windows. Even then the monitor is very washed out. I tried resetting the monitor using the option in the OSD screen but it did not work. I tried the Nvidia control panel and color profiles in windows. It still looks horrible. I have the Acer ET430K and that monitor at 1/3rd of the price looks GREAT. It is an IPS panel. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or whether I got a faulty monitor. I plugged in a MacBook pro via the DP ALT port and even that looks washed out. (For example, the Reddit icon is usually a nice orange color. But in my monitor, it looks washed out as if it were in the sun for very long) Can you confirm if the behavior is right? If you have previously used an IPS monitor, you will know the difference between that IPS you had and the VA that you have right now.
  • ManDueri

Tinkerer

Hey ajithkumark,

will answer you directly not to overload this topic :)

Regards
  • BrutalBipedal

Tinkerer

ManDueri said:

Regards
    I had a good response regarding the flickering which has pretty much eliminated it -

G-Sync flickering when playing games and enabled on Acer Predator CG43KP : Monitors (reddit.com)

I'd like to send mine to them to have the firmware completed but I had my last Acer Predator monitor sent to them when it had a slight issue and it arrived fixed but scuffed and slightly damaged. The responses are very bad for me and it takes week for a response. 

I've never had this kind of issue with any monitor or multiple issues at all before which is why I am just at a point where I feel it's best to move to another manufacturer. It is ridiculous we as the consumer cannot do the firmware update from the USB port like other monitors.

• ManDueri

Tinkerer

edited February 2021
    Hi BrutalBipedal,

thanks for the info, I will also give that a try   :)
    Just to clarify: In the linked post, you wrote (I think you were talking about my info), that I sent my monitor to Acer for the firmware update already. Until now I didn't, I only wanted to inform the people in the forum here, that an update is available as per info from Acer. Due to the fact, that I'm working from home because of the pandemic, I have to use my monitor daily and cannot send it to Acer currently. I got the info from Acer, that I may send it within the warranty period, which is 2 years, after that, an update costs 50Euros.
    So I will wait as long as possible with the update. Maybe the solution from your link works also for me, then I won't update the firmware, or maybe a miracle happens and there is a downloadable update available within the next 2 years.
    Just like you, I would refrain from sending the monitor to Acer  ;)

Regards
  • BrutalBipedal

Tinkerer

ManDueri said:
    Hi BrutalBipedal,

thanks for the info, I will also give that a try   :)
    Just to clarify: In the linked post, you wrote (I think you were talking about my info), that I sent my monitor to Acer for the firmware update already. Until now I didn't, I only wanted to inform the people in the forum here, that an update is available as per info from Acer. Due to the fact, that I'm working from home because of the pandemic, I have to use my monitor daily and cannot send it to Acer currently. I got the info from Acer, that I may send it within the warranty period, which is 2 years, after that, an update costs 50Euros.
    So I will wait as long as possible with the update. Maybe the solution from your link works also for me, then I won't update the firmware, or maybe a miracle happens and there is a downloadable update available within the next 2 years.
    Just like you, I would refrain from sending the monitor to Acer  ;)

Regards
    Yeah I was talking about your info that you kindly shared about the firmware :). I've heard this from others too but the problem is Acer do not share and not put any info about problems with their hardware unless large volumes of people call them out regarding issues. Too many are quietly just putting up with these problems and why should we? The hardware is expensive and the support is poor as well as the means to resolve our issues. 

I am done with Acer now and I doubt I will ever return as a customer. I wait on their response for an uplift number and then I will send back and have this refunded. Acer had their chance multiple times and just fail unfortunately. It is a lot of money for a monitor that just does not work as it should out of the box.