Hi How am I going about install Linux mint cinnamon on my laptop? Please help.

Jack303
Jack303 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi
How am I going about install linuxmint cimamon on my laptop? Please help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,840 Trailblazer
    Dual boot like this if you have Win10 now. Jack E/NJ

It's a lot less risky just shrinking the Windows system partition to a minimal size to make a lot of room for ubuntu and its swap, installing ubuntu dual boot in dual boot mode, and put grubx64 ahead of Win boot manager. You'll forget that Win is even there and available should you ever need it for something. Jack E/NJ
    UBUNTU
    ( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation. Shrink it a lot if you want
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus, a freeware download.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper
    (14) Pretend Windows isn't there anymore

Jack E/NJ

• Jack303
    Jack303 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thank you for the assistance, a friend installed win 7 on the acer aspire...
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,840 Trailblazer
    Then all you need to do is change item (1)  to use Rufus to make an MBR partitioned FAT32 install stick instead of GPT partitioned. Just follow the on screen Mint installation instructions. I'm posting this from a dual boot Cinnamon 19.2/Win7 machine right now. Cinnamon can be easily configured to have the nearly the same look, feel and functionality of the Win7 desktop. And it's good to go till 2023. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lurching
    Lurching Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited December 2019

Walkthrough linux mint 19.2 on Acer Aspire 3 (dual boot with Windows 10)

1. Add a bios password without activating it
    2. UEFI boot options become available after reboot: disable secure boot
    3. Put usb before hdd below in that part of the BIOS (below 2.)
    4. Ensure the usb drive boot for install is UEFI (next option will appear if yes)
    5. In Linux Mint setup select install proprietary drivers > option: secure boot off
    6. Select password identical to account one
    7. Reboot after install > F12
    8. Enter
    9. Boot in linux mint
    10. install Boot-repair then do a standard boot repair fix
    11. in Bios: put windows bootloader w/o hd id first
    12. You will have access to the boot menu (grub)