Model Name: AN515-54|Part Number: NH.Q5AEK.014 crashes when gaming

2»

Answers

• andylb said:
    OK so to eliminate a software problem please reinstall your drivers in this sequence

1. Download the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people.
    DO NOT INSTALL YET instead just save to your Desktop

2 Download DDU and run for a clean uninstall of your current Nvidia drivers, do this in SAFE MODE then reboot into normal mode
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

4. Install the Nvidia drivers you downloaded in step 1. then do the GPU setup that I outlined in my Screenshot above for 3d settings, Physx and individual game programs, making them all to run on your Nvidia card

Hi Andy bud,

I have followed your instructions; (While doing so the laptop got into a boot loop so I had to reset it)

After resetting and downloading a small steam game (Rust) - same graphics crash - always green dots everywhere on the screen before it happens.

So I just followed your instructions anyways to the letter and I am getting the same issue, its heartbreaking because I love this laptop but can not bring my self to take it back to PC world again (I had 4 other laptops before this one all with hardware issues, all different makes and models) 

Are there any other suggestions or do you think the card is toast? - can I take the issue up directly with Acer?

Cheers 
    Is this happening in single game?
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Wessex_Greenlands
    Wessex_Greenlands Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

All games, I would go as far to say anything using the GPU its not just directX as I have installed heaven benchmark and the laptop crashes when running the openGPl version. I have raised a support request with Acer but will take any other suggestions to get this fixed in the meantime cheers guys
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,844 Trailblazer
    As mentioned earlier if you haven't done so already, try the simple things. Uninstall, not just disable, any non-Microsoft anti-virus scanners like McAfee, Malwarebytes, AVG, Norton, etc. If still no joy, then switch to balanced mode from performance mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

Hi Jack, I delete any cruddy antivirus scanner when I get a new laptop as the Microsoft one suffices. 
    I will try switching to balanced mode.. Thanks. 
  • JackE
    One other simple thing to try if you haven't done so already, turn off fast startup in ControlPanel's power button  app. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    I'm stumped m8 sorry

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

Done the above JackE,

@andylb - I have raised a support call with Acer as the machine is only 13 days old (from unboxing) and well within warranty.

I will update this thread with the outcome as it may be useful to others going forward.  

All of the info in this thread is pretty good, perhaps its worth combining into a super post? 

Thanks for your time chaps. 

EDIT - one last thought - does anyone recommend a older driver version for the 1050? 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Since it's new, won't hurt to try a full erase everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset to see if it resolves the issue. If still no joy after a factory reset, I'd try to return it to the vendor as defective for a refund or exchange ASAP before the vendor's returns policy period expires. It'll be faster than ACER warranty service if required. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Hi All,

just a quick note to say that I returned the laptop to Currys PC world who agreed that the graphics card had a hardware fault. I got a brand new one (I made sure to unbox it at the store and run some Graphics tests to ensure it worked fine) 

Big thanks @andylb @JackE and anyone else who helped in this thread.

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    It was a pleasure m8. Glad it's sorted

Please click YES if I helped to solve your problem, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JackE
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ