Wessex_Greenlands
Wessex_Greenlands Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello

My nitro 5 keeps crashing when gaming.

I have tried to undervolting to -0.145v 
I have updated all drivers to the latest version
I have tried running GTA V on lowest settings.
I have tried setting the paging file size 
(followed all of this from searches on the forum)

Please see the attached info from HWinfo and some screenshots

any help would be really appreciated 

Best Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    OK so to eliminate a software problem please reinstall your drivers in this sequence

1. Download the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people.
    DO NOT INSTALL YET instead just save to your Desktop

2 Download DDU and run for a clean uninstall of your current Nvidia drivers, do this in SAFE MODE then reboot into normal mode
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

4. Install the Nvidia drivers you downloaded in step 1. then do the GPU setup that I outlined in my Screenshot above for 3d settings, Physx and individual game programs, making them all to run on your Nvidia card

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,844 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Since it's new, won't hurt to try a full erase everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset to see if it resolves the issue. If still no joy after a factory reset, I'd try to return it to the vendor as defective for a refund or exchange ASAP before the vendor's returns policy period expires. It'll be faster than ACER warranty service if required. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Hi All,

just a quick note to say that I returned the laptop to Currys PC world who agreed that the graphics card had a hardware fault. I got a brand new one (I made sure to unbox it at the store and run some Graphics tests to ensure it worked fine) 

Big thanks @andylb @JackE and anyone else who helped in this thread.

Answers

• JackE
    Is ControlPanel power plan set to Balanced or Performance mode? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andylb
    Make sure you do this below and always game on 100% battery BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming, in Nitrosense make sure High performance is selected under "AC" tab and in the Advanced Power options in Setting

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

1. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people

2. Go to the Nvidia control center and under manage 3d settings/Preferred Graphics processor set to your Nvidia GPU then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Also Select the Nvidia card in PhysX Configuration.

3. Make sure Windows is set to high performance and you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming
    Please click YES if I have answered your question, thank you

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Is ControlPanel power plan set to Balanced or Performance mode? Jack E/NJ
    Hi Jack and AndyLB 

The battery is always at 100% with the power plan set to performance mode. in Nitro again it is set to high performance.

I followed the instructions above for setting the 1050 as the default device in the Gforce control panel. 

Still no joy. I have the latest driver, I do have the game ready driver installed should I remove?

Another thing to note - the temperature doesn't go above 55 deg c. should I attach some more bluescreen logs? 

Thanks again for your help

• JackE
    >>>My nitro 5 keeps crashing when gaming.>>>

Define 'crashing'. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

Also note I am getting d3d error in all games - cities skylines etc sniper elite 
  • Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>My nitro 5 keeps crashing when gaming.>>>

Define 'crashing'. Jack E/NJ
    Did you see the screenshots in the folder from my initial post? games will run for a while but no longer than 2 minutes - then I get the D3D error err_gfx_d3d_init, Followed by a TDR Video Bluescreen - I attached screenshots of both to my initial, should I post directly here?  
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    Are these steam games? 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    steam games correct, although I am not playing GTA V online.

I have done the normal troubleshooting for steam - verified the game's files etc.

Interestingly starting the game in safe mode works, but its an 800 x 800 windowed game and the graphics are on lowest. 

should I do a reinstall of Direct X? - I just don't think its that because the graphics card goes into code 43 in device manager and also the laptop bluescreens when I try and use photoshop too. 

I have had a real pain with PC world this is the 4th model of laptop I have been given since my original purchase of a Lenovo unit back in September I am really hoping its a software issue as I don't want to change laptop again. 

Appreciate the help guys
  • andylb
    Standby give me 2 mins

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    A little longwinded but try this

By setting the launch options of your game on Steam, you change the internal game settings before its running. This is helpful for you to get around incompatible graphics issues, such as your D3D device failed error.

To set the launch options:

1) Launch your Steam client and go to your game library.

2) Right click the game that is incurring the error and select Properties.

3) Click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS.

4) In the dialog popping up, type “-dxlevel 81” and click OK. (This forces your game to be launched using an earlier version of DirectX.)

*Note that if you are trying to play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Left 4 Dead 1 or 2, or Portal 2, you should type “-dxlevel 90“.

5) Close the Properties window and launch your game.

6) If the problem persists, open the Properties window of your game and click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS again.

7) Type the following line in the dialog and click OK (this forces the game to run with a set resolution):

-w 1280 -h 720

*Note that you should change the 1280 and 720 to the width and height of the recommended resolution on your computer respectively.

8) Close the Properties window and run your game. If this method works for you, you won’t see the error again.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JackE
    Uninstall, don't just disable, any non-Microsoft anti-virus scanners like McAfee, Malwarebytes, AVG, Norton, etc. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andylb
    should I do a reinstall of Direct X? - I just don't think its that because the graphics card goes into code 43 in device manager and also the laptop bluescreens when I try and use photoshop too. 

Common problem with Photoshop, go into Photoshop setting and select "Do not use Graphics card"

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    I the above Steam workaround etc.. doesn't work, reinstall Direct X 9.0c end user runtime and try again
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

I thought it was working after following your advice re startup in steam. but then the game loaded really slowly, I checked here and again the GTX is in error 43 stopped this device, is it a hardware issue? or driver related? perhaps my bad luck has gotten me a faulty card. 

did you see the information from hwinfo? 

what should I do now. thanks again in advance,.
  • andylb
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    OK so to eliminate a software problem please reinstall your drivers in this sequence

1. Download the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people.

2 Download DDU and run for a clean uninstall of your current Nvidia drivers, do this in SAFE MODE then reboot into normal mode

4. Install the Nvidia drivers you downloaded in step 1. then do the GPU setup that I outlined in my Screenshot above for 3d settings, Physx and individual game programs, making them all to run on your Nvidia card

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

So on the website for downloading the driver the only options are "studio driver" and "Game Ready Driver" - I take it I need the studio driver?
  • Quadratojugal
    Quadratojugal Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    Hi, although I'm not an expert on these things I'll share my experience and how I fixed it.

My laptop was freezing when I initially bought it, and only by unplugging and plugging will it unfreeze. Here are the solutions (perhaps) that may work for you. These are a series of methods and don't proceed to number 3 if 1 and 2 works.

1. Update Geforce drivers through Geforce experience so you should get the latest patches for your graphics card.
    2. Update Windows to the latest patch; Windows automatically download compatible drivers for your hardware and may help.
    3. Run command prompt by pressing windows + r and type (sfc/scannow) (remove parenthesis); there might be errors in your driver and this could help fix it. When done, update again through Geforce experience and also update Windows to patch missing files and components.

• andylb
    edited December 2019
    So on the website for downloading the driver the only options are "studio driver" and "Game Ready Driver" - I take it I need the studio driver?

Yes the Studio Driver m8

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• So on the website for downloading the driver the only options are "studio driver" and "Game Ready Driver" - I take it I need the studio driver?
    Errors of games can be fixed by some gaming software.these software can automatically install while game installment but sometime due to some reason its fail to solve error download latest version of software given bellow-

1)Directx installer from official Microsoft site it automatically install latest directx
    2)Microsoft visual C++ both 32bit & 64bit
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Wessex_Greenlands

Tinkerer

andylb said:

Hi Andy bud,

I have followed your instructions; (While doing so the laptop got into a boot loop so I had to reset it)

After resetting and downloading a small steam game (Rust) - same graphics crash - always green dots everywhere on the screen before it happens.

So I just followed your instructions anyways to the letter and I am getting the same issue, its heartbreaking because I love this laptop but can not bring my self to take it back to PC world again (I had 4 other laptops before this one all with hardware issues, all different makes and models) 

Are there any other suggestions or do you think the card is toast? - can I take the issue up directly with Acer?

Cheers