ACER ASPIRE S5-391-73514G25 replace battery and check if it's original

Options
mr_osy
mr_osy Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone!  :)
I have an ACER ASPIRE S5-391-73514G25akk laptop.
And my battery died, need to replace. 

TLTR:

Where to buy original battery
How to check if it's original
How to check battery quality?

MAIN:
Want to buy an original battery or at least a really good replica. 
I've already seen in this thread: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/355216/aspire-s5-391-new-battery-doesnt-charge 
that original must be named somehow: 
BT.00403.022BATTERY.LI-PO.4C.2310mAH (SANYO)
But I can't find anything from SANYO (suppose it's a manufacturer), all I can find is from JIGU. 
I suppose I can't write link to the item, cause it'll violate acer community user agreement under
6. Do not advertise...
see https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/7/acer-community-user-agreement-acua for more
My local market is nearly the same as aliexpress but more expensive. 

Tommorow (it's night at my place) I'll disassemble and see what's inside in my laptop.
I suppose it's something similar to JIGU cause once I clear its insides from dust and changed thermopaste and it looked alike (not sure). 
Also, I often find following code: 
4ICP4/67/90 AP12B3F
Can't understand what it means, but if I'm not mistaken - this also wass on my battery. 
At the moment, I have doubts even about my battery if it's original. 

Also, as far as I remember, I can't just eject my battery and power laptop bypass it, am I right? 

Thank you in advance!  :)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    The relevant part number is AP12B3F .  Use this number instead for your Aliexpress search. Many of these batteries are manufactured by same factory but are labelled by different companies. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mr_osy
    Options
    JackE said:
    The relevant part number is AP12B3F .  Use this number instead for your Aliexpress search. Many of these batteries are manufactured by same factory but are labelled by different companies. Jack E/NJ

Thanks JackE! Every batteries I've found had this number, so this wasn't the problem. 

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything from SANYO, so I bought a new battery from local market not willing to wait for the delivery and not having many alternative options. Looks like the one I had, but the quality of the info print makes it clear that it's a "replica" (not straight lines and a little bit blurred text). 
    Nevertheless, it works pretty well, its charge is enough for ~3 hours of intensive use.

The only issue (though I don't think that it's fault of the battery) so far was that once I unplugged the laptop for about 5 hours without any use (hibernation) and then wanted to charge it, plug it and the led battery charge indicator as well as same system icon showed it's not charging. 
    Then I disassemble the laptop and check voltage on pins for the battery it was ~2,5V, idk why so low, cause on the way to the motherboard it was ~19V. 
    So, I understand that I can't do anything in this situation, I just gave it time to charge with such a little (I suppose it's low) voltage. After a while (~15-20 min) it started to charge normally. 

Thanks everyone!
  • mr_osy
    Options
    Also, many of my questions still unanswered, if anyone has info please be kind to share the knowledge  ;)
  • JackE
    Options
    What questions remain unanswered? They all related to the battery and charger? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, I believe you are correct in that you can't just remove the battery and run on the AC power. The extra ow battery issue you experienced shouldn't have happened with a hibernate, since while hibernated the laptop if fully turned off. Any chance it was in sleep instead of hibernate?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mr_osy
    Options
    JackE said:
    What questions remain unanswered? They all related to the battery and charger? Jack E/NJ
    Where to buy original battery
    How to check if it's original
    How to check battery quality
    Actually, everyone) I get answer for part number, but it's not the question I asked. 
    I suppose for the 1st one answer is following: nowhere for sure. 
    The 3rd one is more technical, I suppose that main principles can be googled, but I thought that there are people who can answer right away. 
    The 2nd one is the only one, that I suppose can't be found anywhere else, I tried, but failed. 

Thank you!
  • mr_osy
    Options
    billsey said:
    Yes, I believe you are correct in that you can't just remove the battery and run on the AC power. The extra ow battery issue you experienced shouldn't have happened with a hibernate, since while hibernated the laptop if fully turned off. Any chance it was in sleep instead of hibernate?
    You are right, I thought it was hibernation, but I dont even have this as an option on closing action...

Whatever, I don't understand why it affects on battery charging. For example, today I put my laptop with ~60% of charge to the backpack, went outside, come to the office and the charge remains ~59%, work till 23%, wanted to charge and voila, it can't be charged (no indicator). But after about 20 min indicator starts to blink and after a while it started to charge normally. Similar was with my first encounter with this problem (described in the above post). I believe, that with my old battery was the same, but I just thought it was in such a bad condition. But now I think, that the proble might be with something else... Should I start a new thread for this? 

Thank you!
  • JackE
    Options
    Where to buy original battery?  You must google the part number for a vendor that's most convenient to your location, not my location.

How to check if it's original? You must trust the vendor that you decide to buy it from.

How to check battery quality? Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. If design and full charge capacity are almost the same, it is of good quality

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mr_osy
    Options
    JackE said:
    Where to buy original battery?  You must google the part number for a vendor that's most convenient to your location, not my location.
    How to check if it's original? You must trust the vendor that you decide to buy it from.

Jack E/NJ
    That's the point, I thought that maybe there are some official dealers, otherwise it's always a gamble) 
    JackE said:
    How to check battery quality? Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. If design and full charge capacity are almost the same, it is of good quality

Jack E/NJ
    That's cool, thank you! I'll dig in that direction and write about it later. In advance, I don't know why, but parameter "/batteryreport" didn't work at my cmd, but "/energy" works pretty well)  And there are a lot of ineresting information. How little I know about my own computer...