Why does my computer keep shutting off every time I play a high-quality game? Helios 300

Maggielucy1
Maggielucy1 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I got an Acer Predator Helios 300 back in August and it was working fine until a couple of weeks ago. I got this new game that was very high-quality and when I played it, it shut off. And now, all my other high-quality games and shutting down after 20 minutes. I got a cooling pad, which worked for a little bit, but then it just went back to shutting down. I’m afraid to enter the BIOS becuz I don’t want to break the computer further. I think it might be due to the graphics (because when I bought the game, a notification came up that said that the graphics card was outdated), so I deleted a ton of games that I don’t play anymore. Hope that helps.

Best Answer

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Maggielucy1 you shouldnt be over 80's i would either repaste it or get it repasted if it was me but those temps arent the reason for crashing/shutdown technically it would only shut down temp wise when it touches 100 but its the silicone lottery so its not the same for every cpu/gpu even if they are of the same specs they will never behave the same way i would follow @XdxD advice and perform a clean install but i would also recommend you to get a 16gb usb drive and create a acer recovery drive via acer care center for you to keep one copy of the stock recovery if its still intact and not corrupted if not just download the windows media creation tool and create a windows usb drive install dont forget to also backup whatever you need first and after i would try to perform as stock recovery either following this video or using the recovery usb that you had created previously (if successfully created) 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

Answers

• Maggielucy1
    Deleting those high-quality games did NOT work. It shut off again
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    What is your current NVidia driver?
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • Maggielucy1
    XdxD said:
    GeForce GTX 1060
  • strider16
    strider16 Member Posts: 123 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    If you didn't made any change to factory installation yet, there must be a Predator software on taskbar. Run it and see what temperatures it is reading for both cpu and gpu, and what is the fans rpm. Maybe post a print screen here.

Do some normal usage too, browsing web, anything except playing games, to see if everything else is ok.

Btw, where do you got these games? From steam, gog, epic, or other online shop?

Are you using any antivirus?
    Nothing peaks at the same time...
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33054103

• Maggielucy1
    strider16 said:
    If you didn't made any change to factory installation yet, there must be a Predator software on taskbar. Run it and see what temperatures it is reading for both cpu and gpu, and what is the fans rpm. Maybe post a print screen here.

Do some normal usage too, browsing web, anything except playing games, to see if everything else is ok.

I have done some browsing on the web and everything is fine. I even play some low-quality games and those work great. It’s just the high-quality games. I got all of those games off of Steam and I am not using any antiviruses. I opened up the Predator software and the CPU is 37 C and the GPU is 33 C. The RPM is 0. Should I run the software while playing those games to get a more accurate result?
  • Maggielucy1
    On an added note, the CPU and GPU are going up the longer the computer is running
  • Maggielucy1
    Just got RPM to work. RPM is 6122 for both fans
  • XdxD
    XdxD said:
    GeForce GTX 1060
    I meant the driver version, like 441.20 or other. You can find it in GeForce Experience driver tab.
  • XdxD
    strider16 said:

I have done some browsing on the web and everything is fine. I even play some low-quality games and those work great. It’s just the high-quality games. I got all of those games off of Steam and I am not using any antiviruses. I opened up the Predator software and the CPU is 37 C and the GPU is 33 C. The RPM is 0. Should I run the software while playing those games to get a more accurate result?
    Do a scan with Malwarebytes, although I don't think this to be a malware issue. Maybe your quality games need newer drivers. You can update using GeForce Experience and going to its driver tab.
  • Maggielucy1
    XdxD said:
    strider16 said:

Do a scan with Malwarebytes, although I don't think this to be a malware issue. Maybe your quality games need newer drivers. You can update using GeForce Experience and going to its driver tab.
    I scanned for malware. It detected 3 PUPs that have been successfully quarantined. Haven’t tested out if it worked, but you’re probably right. It doesn’t look like a malware problem. Still waiting on GeForce Experience to work. It won’t let me sign in. I’ll let you know as soon as I can when it will start to work.
  • XdxD
    You can also view the driver version of your GTX1060 in Device Manager.
  • Maggielucy1
    XdxD said:
    You can also view the driver version of your GTX1060 in Device Manager.
    Alright, I got the GeForce Experience to work and I'm now downloading Driver 441.20. Before this install, I currently had Version 388.73
  • Maggielucy1
    It didn't work. Computer is still shutting off
  • xapim
    edited November 2019
    Maggielucy1 check your temps while gaming i suspect youre probably having thermal issues have you optimized windows and undervolted ?? check here you can also undervolt the DGPU with msi AB and if still needed you have to clean your fans/exit airflow and repaste it with kryonaut or similar if you can yourself without voiding the warranty if not the only way its to send it back for a repaste if the issue its really temps if its not temps my advice its to reset to factory stock clean install check here

If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Acer support:

• Maggielucy1
    xapim said:
    Maggielucy1 check your temps while gaming i suspect youre probably having thermal issues have you optimized windows and undervolted ?? check here you can also undervolt the DGPU with msi AB and if still needed you have to clean your fans/exit airflow and repaste it with kryonaut or similar if you can yourself without voiding the warranty if not the only way its to send it back for a repaste if the issue its really temps if its not temps my advice its to reset to factory stock clean install check here
    Temps reached 86 at the maximum. Is that bad?
  • Maggielucy1
    XdxD said:
    strider16 said:

I scanned for malware. It detected 3 PUPs that have been successfully quarantined. Haven’t tested out if it worked, but you’re probably right. It doesn’t look like a malware problem. Still waiting for GeForce Experience. It’s not letting me sign in
  • XdxD
    Backup your current system and do a clean install with Microsoft's Windows 10 ISO. Then install all your drivers from support site and then update your graphics driver through GeForce Experience or by the driver file itself from NVidia's site.
  • xapim
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Maggielucy1 you shouldnt be over 80's i would either repaste it or get it repasted if it was me but those temps arent the reason for crashing/shutdown technically it would only shut down temp wise when it touches 100 but its the silicone lottery so its not the same for every cpu/gpu even if they are of the same specs they will never behave the same way i would follow @XdxD advice and perform a clean install but i would also recommend you to get a 16gb usb drive and create a acer recovery drive via acer care center for you to keep one copy of the stock recovery if its still intact and not corrupted if not just download the windows media creation tool and create a windows usb drive install dont forget to also backup whatever you need first and after i would try to perform as stock recovery either following this video or using the recovery usb that you had created previously (if successfully created) 

Acer support:

• Maggielucy1
    xapim said:
    xapim said:
    xapim said:
    xapim said:
    I was able to update my Windows 10 as @XdxD said and I'm looking for a 16GB on Amazon. I also noticed that my high-quality games have been shutting down later than usual. I was able to play Planet Zoo for at least an hour. Not sure if that was because I turned on my cooling pad a little earlier than usual, but I was pretty proud of myself, XD
  • Maggielucy1
    Hey guys. I made the decision to send my computer back to Acer to get it repasted. I’m pretty sure it is a thermal issue, and I don’t want to tear into my computer and get it even more broken than it already is. I just want to thank you guys very much for your help. It meant a lot to me and I appreciate you guys trying to fix my problem. Thanks once again, and happy holidays!