Acer swift 5 SF514 won't detect m.2 drive

TheXylis
TheXylis Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey guys

My laptop randomly blue screens one day with a registry error, after lots of troubleshooting with various methods of even trying to wipe the drive I came to the conclusion the m.2 has some bad sectors and is basically dead.

So I bought a wd blue 250gb sata m.2 ssd to replace it. Installed it fresh from the box, windows install or bios doesn't see the drive, okay, so I throw it in another computer. It shows up there just fine.

I do some googling people suggest legacy mode, doesn't work
It's in ahci 
I even tried installing Windows on the m.2 in another computer and still no luck.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong and other troubleshooting steps I can try to fix it?
Thanks 

Answers

• What is the exact model of notebook? Example an515-51-75kz. What is the exact models of ssd's?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TheXylis

Tinkerer

What is the exact model of notebook? Example an515-51-75kz. What is the exact models of ssd's?

Swift sf514-51 (-777u I think)
    wds250g2b0b Is the new one the old one was whatever it came with no branding that I can see 
  • Is ssd recognized in the info tab?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TheXylis

Tinkerer

Is ssd recognized in the info tab?

Nope 
  • Strange, because this model accepts nvme, see: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Swift-SF514-51/45061
    Have you tried resetting the battery?
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TheXylis

Tinkerer

It doesn't have a reset switch, the battery is removable. 

I tried leaving it unplugged from the connector for a few minutes but no luck. 
  • Press this button here:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TheXylis

Tinkerer

Tried it

still no luck drive doesn't show in bios or windows install 
  • When you insert the old ssd again, is it recognized by uefi-bios? Have you tried creating a password in setsupervisorpassword and disabling secureboot?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,102 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    TheXylis said:
    Tried it

I have a hunch that your port may be PCIe/NVMe only and struggling to recognise the SATA SSD.

• TheXylis

Tinkerer

Yes yes yes and yes 

I would try salvage the old ssd but no matter what I do I can't boot into it just gives a registry error and I can't format it / wipe it. At least every way I've tried hasn't worked. 
  • TheXylis

Tinkerer

TheXylis said:
    Tried it

I have a hunch that your port may be PCIe/NVMe only and struggling to recognise the SATA SSD.
    EDIT: No, you earlier had a M.2 SATA SSD, so it's not.
    Yea I don't think the original m.2 is even an NVMe drive

The only thing I can think of right now but it would be really weird, maybe it's because the replacement ssd is a B+M key rather than an M Key but that would be strange for it not to recognise it because of that, and I don't have another M key m.2 to test that theory with. 
  • Can you upload a screenshot of the old ssd? This way we can check if the old ssd is nvme or sata. Also, what is the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TheXylis

Tinkerer

Bios v1.15

the other side is covered in 1 long piece of thermal pad
  • TheXylis said:
    Bios v1.15

the other side is covered in 1 long piece of thermal pad
    Hi,
    It looks like a PCIe/NVMe SSD, some kind of OEM type but couldn't find any information with the number displayed.
  • When you enter it, information such as this ssd template should appear on the bios information tab. You can upload a photo of this setting.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TheXylis

Tinkerer

When you enter it, information such as this ssd template should appear on the bios information tab. You can upload a photo of this setting.

It shows it as an Intel 600p series SSDPEKKW256G7

Judging by the photos online it definitely is the same.
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/94921/intel-ssd-600p-series-256gb-m-2-80mm-pcie-3-0-x4-3d1-tlc.html

I wonder if I could try claim it on warranty at Intel seeing as it has a 5 year warranty, although I doubt it.
  • OK! About intel 600p, have you tried to update the firmware to check if it solves the ssd problem? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28749/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool
    About Western Digital ssd, what is the exact model?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TheXylis

Tinkerer

No luck on the firmware update on boot into windows it still blue screens with registry_error
    and trying to reinstall windows on it comes up with "We couldn't delete the selected partition. [Error:0x80070017]"

the WD SSD is wds250g2b0b 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Could you test ssd intel on another notebook to see if the problem remains? According to the service manual, this model also a ssd m2 2280 sata 3, see

What version of bios is installed on your notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer