Which 1050 Ti drivers for Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-51?

Options
chupo_cro
chupo_cro Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51) with GeForce 1050 Ti and the only graphics card drivers officially released by ACER are:

1080 Ti drivers released by ACER:
Date: 2017/07/18
Version: 21.21.13.7689
Vendor: NVIDIA

which are more than 2 years old.

Until now everything worked without problems but after updating OBS Studio screen recording software NVENC encoding stopped working and by reading the forums I've found the newer versions of OBS Studio require more recent graphics card drivers.

Since I've read here on the forums the graphics card drivers which are released by only NVIDIA and not by ACER can cause troubles my question is what should I do. Using graphics card drivers released in 2017. is not the best option but until now every program I was using worked well and I thought ACER would release some more recent 1080 Ti drivers but it didn't.

BTW, how can I know to which version these drivers correspond by NVIDIA's version labeling? Seems as the version number of the drivers released by ACER (21.21.13.7689) differs from the way the drivers are labeled by NVIDIA (or maybe I am missing something).

Best Answer

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I am on latest NVidia driver on my 1050Ti and everything works as it should. Feel free to update to the one you need. Just remember to download the standard driver one meant for GTX Notebook series from NVidia website.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!

Answers

• XdxD
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I am on latest NVidia driver on my 1050Ti and everything works as it should. Feel free to update to the one you need. Just remember to download the standard driver one meant for GTX Notebook series from NVidia website.
  • chupo_cro

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for the reply! Let me check if these are the right selections for downloading the driver:

Product Type: GeForce
    Product Series: GeForce 10 Series (Notebooks)
    Product: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit
    Windows Driver Type: Standard
    Download Type: Studio Driver (SD)
    Language: English (US)

Now that I checked the NVIDIA Control Panel I see the current drivers that I have are v388.16 and I don't see how that could be confirmed by looking at the Device Manager where the driver version is listed as 21.21.13.7689 but where 388.16 is not mentioned anywhere.

On the other hand, when looking at NVIDIA Control Panel > System Information > Components the file versions are listed as 23.21.13.8816

I wasn't sure if I can use the drivers from NVIDIA website because of this thread. There I saw the driver not released by ACER can cause all kinds of troubles and I was not sure what was meant by this comment saying: "Sounds like your good for now till the next major Win10 update rolls around.". Does it mean the Windows 10 update could reinstall the old drivers released by ACER?

BTW, I couldn't reply using Quote button, when I used it the message didn't show after posting.
  • chupo_cro

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for the reply! Let me check if these are the right selections for downloading the driver:

Now that I checked the NVIDIA Control Panel I see the current drivers that I have are v388.16 and I don't see how that could be confirmed by looking at the Device Manager where the driver version is listed as 21.21.13.7689 but where 388.16 is not mentioned anywhere.

On the other hand, when looking at NVIDIA Control Panel > System Information > Components the file versions are listed as 23.21.13.8816 which is not the same as in the Device Manager.

I wasn't sure if I can use the drivers from NVIDIA website because of this thread. There I saw the driver not released by ACER can cause all kinds of troubles and I was not sure what was meant by this comment saying: "Sounds like your good for now till the next major Win10 update rolls around.". Does it mean the Windows 10 update could reinstall the old drivers released by ACER?

BTW, I couldn't reply using Quote button, when I used it the message didn't show after posting. And the message disappeared after editing so I had to post it again.
  • chupo_cro

Tinkerer

Options

On the other hand, when looking at NVIDIA Control Panel > System Information > Components the file versions are listed as 23.21.13.8816 which is not the same as in the Device Manager.

BTW, I couldn't reply using Quote button, when I used it the message didn't show after posting. And the message disappeared after editing so I had to post it again.
  • chupo_cro

Tinkerer

Options

On the other hand, when looking at NVIDIA Control Panel > System Information > Components the file versions are listed as 23.21.13.8816

• chupo_cro

Tinkerer

Options

• chupo_cro

Tinkerer

Options
    XdxD said:

I wasn't sure if I can use the drivers from NVIDIA website because of this thread. There I saw the drivers not released by ACER could cause all kinds of troubles I was not sure what was meant by this comment saying: "Sounds like your good for now till the next major Win10 update rolls around.". Does it mean the Windows 10 update could reinstall the old drivers released by ACER?

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Options
    chupo_cro i have the same gpu and if it werent some games needed the minimum supported driver i would still be on the acer stock i only updated once in 2 years from the stock to 416.94 just becaus BF5 and clack ops wouldnt run with earlier drivers never had a single issue so my advice is if you are upgrading dont upgrade to the latest use an older one preferably 3/6 months old or so as they should be stable without issues because after all you dont have a latest gpu and the latest drivers are optimized for the latest gpus not old ones and they will in due time end the driver support for older gpus as they always do :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• XdxD
    Options
    Regarding the different driver versions, Windows Update may have never provided the v388.16 and that's why Device Manager (which fetches information from Windows Update) shows you the last identifiable driver number. Also, the last 5 digits from NVidia's Control panel are same as that of the installed one (i.e., 3.8816 and 388.16).
  • chupo_cro

Tinkerer

Options
    XdxD said:
    Regarding the different driver versions, Windows Update may have never provided the v388.16 and that's why Device Manager (which fetches information from Windows Update) shows you the last identifiable driver number. Also, the last 5 digits from NVidia's Control panel are same as that of the installed one (i.e., 3.8816 and 388.16).

So that's it - I wasn't sure what was going on because in the Device Manager the divers were listed as 21.21.13.7689 (376.89) but in NVIDIA Control Panel > System Information > Components the file versions were listed as 23.21.13.8816 (388.16)

Nevertheless, in the meantime I installed the very last version (441.12) and now NVENC in OBS Studio again works well and I (still) didn't notice any problems with other software.

Thank you very much for your help!
  • chupo_cro

Tinkerer

Options
    xapim said:
    chupo_cro i have the same gpu and if it werent some games needed the minimum supported driver i would still be on the acer stock i only updated once in 2 years from the stock to 416.94 just becaus BF5 and clack ops wouldnt run with earlier drivers never had a single issue so my advice is if you are upgrading dont upgrade to the latest use an older one preferably 3/6 months old or so as they should be stable without issues because after all you dont have a latest gpu and the latest drivers are optimized for the latest gpus not old ones and they will in due time end the driver support for older gpus as they always do :)

In the meantime I've already installed the latest (441.12) drivers and seems as they work well and the problem with OBS Studio and NVENC is solved.

Thank you for the reply!

• XdxD
    Options
    chupo_cro said:
    So that's it - I wasn't sure what was going on because in the Device Manager the divers were listed as 21.21.13.7689 (376.89) but in NVIDIA Control Panel > System Information > Components the file versions were listed as 23.21.13.8816 (388.16)

Nevertheless, in the meantime I installed the very last version (441.12) and now NVENC in OBS Studio again works well and I (still) didn't notice any problems with other software.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Glad to know that.