When will Acer update nvidia drivers ??!

Options
appsapps
appsapps Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Last nvidia driver was from 2017/06/12 for this 

Aspire VX5-591G

now it also has GeForce Experience which can update driver for you, which I did to be able to use Shadowplay / Highlights stuff in games.
It worked but after a restart it results in a freeze when booting to windows or a black screen when booting to windows.
That happens only if I update to the latest driver , older ones seem to work.

Now somewhere I read the OEM has to update specifially for this laptop and gpu so where is my update? Where can I give this laptop back?

BTW nope its not anything messing with it,

I did a total clean usb installer of windows 10, freshly formatted my partition and installed windows 10 freshly and only installed drivers and same result!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,647 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>That happens only if I update to the latest driver , older ones seem to work.>>> somewhere I read the OEM has to update specifially for this laptop >>>

(1) What problem were you having with the old driver that you were trying to fix with the new driver? (2) Where did you read that the OEM must update drivers? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• appsapps

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    Options
    Uh I read that if I use the Nvidia drivers from Nvidias site (or update via Geforce experience) it will not cause problems and I have to wait for OEM drivers. Not sure where I picked that one up.

Problems are :
    OBS not working with this old driver when I use NVENC encoder (IT works if i use newer driver but the latest one gives me blackscreen/freeze on windows boot. Some of the other newer but not latest drivers gave me low fps in game (after I played 1 or 2 games that is).
    I do need the NVENC encoder one because x264 is taking up too much cpu % , whereas NVENC works pretty good.

Also additionally its missing features like automatic highlights from games like Fortnite.

I could try testing more drivers but this is really bad. I updated to latest nvidia drivers via experience and had a ***** blackscreen/freeze everytime i try to login/open windows. AND that was even though I reinstalled windows 10 from scratch!!
  • appsapps

Tinkerer

Options
    Well I updated to "390.65-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql" (390.65)
    which has all I want (OBS with NVENC works , HIghlights in fortnite, no low fps in game)
    Just have to be careful to not update them in Experience software
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,647 Trailblazer
    Options
    So congrats. Sounds like your good for now till the next major Win10 update rolls around.  :o Make sure system protection is enabled so that updates will at least create restore points you can fall back on if needed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• siny79
    siny79 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Options
    appsapps said:
    which has all I want (OBS with NVENC works , HIghlights in fortnite, no low fps in game)

The lastest drivers that work for me (and many others as I read in the last few days) are 397.64. I tried to install 398.11 that came out two days ago, thinking that maybe nvidia fixed the issue... Nope, same problem.
    I own VX5-591g as well BTW.
  • runboy93
    runboy93 Member Posts: 53 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If everyone would wait for OEM driver updates, there would be muuch more security risks.

Generic drivers work just fine, they are more safe with included fixes and could lead for more performance, OEM drivers are obviously 1st choice always, but in Acer case you should forget them, and download each driver latest version from official sites, if Microsoft not update them automatically.

I like how Acer does with BIOS updates, they should use same type updating for drivers too.
  • appsapps

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    Options
    Well now I tried OBS with NVENC and Highlights but for some reason I have like 30-60 fps in game with this driver. I ditched the Highlights thing and installed 387.92 where I can use OBS with NVENC and have more than 60 fps.

Also where can I find updated Intel HD drivers or should I rather not update those? I tried the latest for HD 630 but that installer said its not compatible or something.

runboy93 said:
    If everyone would wait for OEM driver updates, there would be muuch more security risks.

Generic drivers work just fine, they are more safe with included fixes and could lead for more performance, OEM drivers are obviously 1st choice always, but in Acer case you should forget them, and download each driver latest version from official sites, if Microsoft not update them automatically.

I like how Acer does with BIOS updates, they should use same type updating for drivers too.
    Well... I installed latest Nvidia driver because Geforce Experience said there is a new one and so I pressed update. Next time I rebooted I got greeted by a blackscreen or freezes like 10-20 secs after I'm in windows. So I had to revert to old driver via safemode

siny79 said:
    appsapps said:

The lastest drivers that work for me (and many others as I read in the last few days) are 397.64. I tried to install 398.11 that came out two days ago, thinking that maybe nvidia fixed the issue... Nope, same problem.
    So 397.64 works with OBS NVENC + Highlights in Fortnite with acceptable fps in Fortnite?
  • siny79
    siny79 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    appsapps said:
    Well now I tried OBS with NVENC and Highlights but for some reason I have like 30-60 fps in game with this driver. I ditched the Highlights thing and installed 387.92 where I can use OBS with NVENC and have more than 60 fps.

Also where can I find updated Intel HD drivers or should I rather not update those? I tried the latest for HD 630 but that installer said its not compatible or something.

runboy93 said:

Well... I installed latest Nvidia driver because Geforce Experience said there is a new one and so I pressed update. Next time I rebooted I got greeted by a blackscreen or freezes like 10-20 secs after I'm in windows. So I had to revert to old driver via safemode

siny79 said:
    appsapps said:

So 397.64 works with OBS NVENC + Highlights in Fortnite with acceptable fps in Fortnite?
    Aaaa... I don't know tbh. I just know that these are the latest drivers that didn't cause any problems with the system. You could try them (if You didn't already). 
  • runboy93
    runboy93 Member Posts: 53 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Options
    appsapps, you need install newer Intel drivers via manager (zip download from Intel), normal exe installer doesn't work, leads to error with not validated.

• appsapps

Tinkerer

Options
    siny79 said:
    Aaaa... I don't know tbh. I just know that these are the latest drivers that didn't cause any problems with the system. You could try them (if You didn't already). 

thanks mate I didn't try later version yet, might try later. I dont think though it will work. But I'll try

runboy93 said:
    appsapps, you need install newer Intel drivers via manager (zip download from Intel), normal exe installer doesn't work, leads to error with not validated.

Okay I will try that now, downloading the zip from here 
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/download/27847/Graphics-Intel-Grafiktreiberf-r-Windows-10?product=98909
    Version: 24.20.100.6136 (News) Datum: 05.06.2018