DJ controller connectivity on AMD Swift 3

AndroidMancave
AndroidMancave Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello. I hope someone can help. I've just bought one of the Swift 3's with AMD Ryzen 5 and Radeon chipset. I use a Behringer CMD Studio 4a DJ controller for DJ practice and the laptop cannot see it. It usually connects straight away (on other PC equipment) via midi. I have updated and installed all new drivers that I can including ASIO for sound and AMD Radeon Settings for audio and Realtek updates etc etc etc. I have asked AMD if there is an issue with their chips for compatibility. They say not and refer me back to Acer as they set driver properties in the factory. I'm waiting on Acer now for info but don't hold out much hope. I have an Intel NUC desktop and a swift 1 series - both with Intel and both find the controller and play sound fine (Swift 1 isn't really powerful enough for gigs hence getting the swift 3). Does anyone have any ideas? I fear I'm going to have to sell the laptop - it's about a week old - and get an Intel based one as they seem to work fine in my experience. Many thanks in advance. AM.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Shut down Windows. Plug controller in. Turn machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AndroidMancave
    JackE thanks but no good. I tried. Disabled fast start. Shut down. Plugged in. Unable to see it. An interesting thing keeps happening in the DJ software preset files folder. I'm supposed to have only the files for the controller in there so it can read a mapping and control the laptop/music folder etc. But, it lists all the devices that the DJ software, MIXXX, lists as controllers - 2nd image. None of which are actually controllers. They must be bits of the laptop hardware. Each time I delete them from the folder and restart and they are back in there again. Probably something to do with it. Thanks but it didn't work for me. The search goes on.......... AM

• JackE
    Open DeviceManager. What happens to DeviceManager, if anything, when you plug in and then unplug the controller or vice-versa? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AndroidMancave
    JackE. Did as you suggested. Only change I can see is a Exclamation mark on the USB at the bottom. As you can see I clicked on it and it says insufficient system resources. Odd??? AM.
  • JackE
    Does it go away when you pull the plug? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AndroidMancave
    Jack, yes, it does. When plugged in it provides an extra USB Generic device in the list - making 2. When I pull it out, the list goes back down to 1. I have no idea what this all means. Also something strange in terms of system resources. I have 8gb installed RAM yet the system shows only about 5.93gb available??? What's up with the other 2gb?
  • JackE
    Windows system background processes takes up about 2GB.  If any non-Microsoft virus scanners are also running in the background, uninstall don't just disable them. Defender and MSRT is all most folks need nowadays. Also check the BIOS to see if USB3 can be temporarily disabled. If not, then try disabling USB3 in DeviceManager. Do you have any other USB devices plugged in? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AndroidMancave
    Jack hi. Thanks for the info. Will check BIOS. Bigger problem now though. Acer Support came back and advised that I uninstall the USB port drivers. There was no option for this under Device Manager so I used Driver Booster 6 to do this. I am by the way brand new to Windows after nearly 10 years with Linux - not as some sort of coder, I'm just average Joe. So, this has now rendered my two non-powered USB ports unusable. I have reset the machine and reinstalled all drivers possible using Win update. Device Manager says that all drivers are up to date. The two ports are still not usable. The Type-c and powered type 3 are fine. And, I didn't have any other devices plugged in when trying to connect the controller. I'm getting so fed up with this. All I really want now is to get the ports working again, sell it and get an Intel based machine that will see the controller. I will though see what options the BIOS gives me. Can't even sell it now without working USB ports.  
  • JackE
    edited November 2019
    >>>There was no option for this under Device Manager>>>

There should've been if you right click on each USB entry.  Then don't reinstall anything. Just exit. Then reboot. And if still no joy, then do an ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset as shown below. Test it once more. Then you should be able return it to the vendor as defective for a refund or exchange before the vendor's returns policy period expires. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AndroidMancave
    Jack, thanks. I couldn't find any options to uninstall drivers. Options are to update drivers, disable device, uninstall device, scan for hardware changes and properties. And that doesn't give option for uninstalling drivers either. Thanks for the video. I have done that once today from inside Windows but will try a total factory reset. Been into BIOS and checked if I can do anything with USB settings and I can't. Bit scewed now really. Very grateful for your time and help tho.
    Just been having a dig round and tried a couple of other usb drives in the USB ports - both have Linux OS's on and the drives were found and file explorer opened straight away. File explorer is now saying that my main backup drive - F:/ a Barracuda Hybrid drive - does not contain a recognised file system but it lets me access all the docs and files so, I'm wondering if this is now reaching end of life and corrupted somehow. It's only a couple of years old. The USB ports may be working just not with that drive. It's all a bit Bermuda Triangle as when I plug in a Linux OS USB I get that drive popping up on file explorer but also my F:/ drive, even though the only one that's actually plugged in is the small thumb drive. I have also plugged in the DJ controller again and this is still not recognised. Very confused. AM.
  • JackE
    >>>uninstall device >>>

This is the driver. Uninstall all of them under the USB DeviceManager directory. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AndroidMancave
    Thanks Jack. Have done. Appears to be fine. The ports recognise when my phone and basic USB thumb drives are plugged in so that's good. Still not the DJ controller tho. Think the Barracuda Hard drive has issues too so phasing that out as it only works in one port when everything else appears to be fine. Going to to get rid of the laptop and go for one that's got an Intel inside. Certain that will work for the controller. Really grateful for your help on this. You deserve a beer! AM
  • JackE
    >>>I've just bought one of the Swift 3's with AMD Ryzen 5 and Radeon chipset. >>>
    >>>Going to to get rid of the laptop and go for one that's got an Intel inside>>>

You should be able to return it to the vendor for an exchange. However, do you know how old the Behringer setup software is? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AndroidMancave
    JackE said:
    >>>I've just bought one of the Swift 3's with AMD Ryzen 5 and Radeon chipset. >>>
    >>>Going to to get rid of the laptop and go for one that's got an Intel inside>>>

You should be able to return it to the vendor for an exchange. However, do you know how old the Behringer setup software is? Jack E/NJ
    I tried returning to this seller before and they won't take back open box stuff just because you don't want it - ebay here I come!
    The DJ controller model is around 4/5 years old but I got mine new this year. I don't think they make it anymore as much of the software they offer as a free trial - you get activation codes etc in the box - have also been discontinued. Shame as it all works fine and is great for a beginner like me. So I can see myself getting another one in the next year or so that is newer and more compatible. Works fine on my intel NUC and my Acer Swift 1 laptop - this just doesn't have the RAM or processing power to do much practise or gigs. AM
  • JackE
    >>> the software they offer as a free trial - you get activation codes etc in the box - have also been discontinued.>>>

Do you mean no Behringer software came in the box or can't be downloaded any more?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Check out this tutorial before you give up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AndroidMancave
    JackE said:
    >>> the software they offer as a free trial - you get activation codes etc in the box - have also been discontinued.>>>

Do you mean no Behringer software came in the box or can't be downloaded any more?  Jack E/NJ

Yes. I think it was called Deckadance LE which was owned by Gibson. You have to go into this, and then set up some sort of account but the account website said it wasn't accepting new accounts so the software couldn't be activated. It's fine because I use MIXXX - free open source stuff and it was working fine on Ubuntu and works fine on the other 2 machines I mentioned. AM
  • JackE
    Check out this out before you give up. This thing is old enough that you might want to try a few suggestions made in there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AndroidMancave
    Thanks Man. Will do. Have already tried some of things from that exact same page but not the running in compatibility mode bit. Last chance saloon! AM
  • AndroidMancave
    JackE, Just to let you know I couldn't get anywhere with the compatibility mode. Have now got an i7 Swift 3. And guess what? MIXXX works straight off the bat and finds the controller first time. AMD one is on Ebay now - history. Thanks again for all your help. AM.