Where can I get an advanced Acer user manual with diagrams? Acer Aspire 5, A515-43

ineuw
ineuw Member Posts: 42 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I am looking for diagrams and technical specs of my Acer Aspire 5, A515-43. I would like to increase the RAM from 4GB (DDR3 DDR4?), and add or replace the original 120GB SSD.  Also, if anyone knows what would, and would not, annul the warranty? Meaning, if I make the above mentioned changes?

Best Answers

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning ineuw !

Tell me the EXACT model of your laptop so I can provide you with the upgrade information.

As for the service handle (
    advanced manual), it is not made available to the end user.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• ineuw
    My apologies, its an ACER Aspire A515-43. I do now that it uses DDR4. But, how to add more and is there a slot for a 2nd SSD?

Thanks

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    A515-43 is the series only and not the EXACT model.
    This series has no second SSD slot.
    Only standard Sata 3 slot and M.2

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• ineuw
    Thanks again for your help. The model_ name is A515-43-R19L. I have the M2 screws which means that I can open something and add an M2 drive and perhaps add memory. I ask these questions simply because of concerns about the warranty regarding the installation of user's hardware. I am sufficiently knowledgeable about desktop hardware, Windows, Linux Mint and Macbook which was my previous laptop, but this is my first Windows laptop. As you can tell from my questions that a technical manual could help and not bother you with such questions.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,781 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    As long as you don't bust anything or break any tamper seals, you should be fine with the warranty.  Just remove 10 screws, pry away till the base cover pops off, then follow your nose to the RAM slots and m.2 connector. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ineuw
    Answer ✓
    Much thanks to all.
  • abhishekmurthy
    abhishekmurthy Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Hello im looking the same for my laptop

this is the model aspire-5-a515-43-r44z-2

• JackE
    Answer ✓
  • ineuw
    Are custom display resolutions possible on a A515-43-R19L on Linux Mint 19.3? I tried using xrandr with eDP monitor but it failed. Any help to point me to the right direction is greatly appreciated.
  • JackE
    An external monitor? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ineuw
    JackE said:
    An external monitor? Jack E/NJ

No, I want to change the resolution of the built-in laptop 15.6" monitor.

• JackE
    Click the Mint start menu. Search 'display'. Click mint 'display' app. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ineuw
    Thanks for the reply, but I am familiar with Linux Mint. The laptop uses 16:9 geometry and there are only two available:
    * 1920 x 1080 is way too small
    * 1280 x 720 is way too large

The others are:
    * 16:10, AFAIK is Apple geometry
    * 5:4, and 4:3 are for older style CRT monitors
    I have tried scaling but its application is partial. It doesn't change some browser display objects. SO, it looks odd and different from the LED monitor. I found this list of true-169-resolutions at https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/ which helps to adjust the display size of an HDMI monitors
    but this doesn't work with eDP laptop monitors.

• MGTD
    MGTD Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thinking of buying an A515-43-R19L for a family member.  But, I'm concerned about the inadequacy of the 128GB SSD.  Is the hardware, i.e., mount and cabling, provided by Crucial with their products?
  • ineuw
    MGTD said:
    Thinking of buying an A515-43-R19L for a family member.  But, I'm concerned about the inadequacy of the 128GB SSD.  Is the hardware, i.e., mount and cabling, provided by Crucial with their products?

This can give you an idea. I have a 120Gb Patriot SSD as a Windows 10 boot drive using the space as follows:
    120gb SSD = 111GB usable.
    111gb  x 15% of unused space recommended for NTFS = 16gb
    95gb - 33gb used by Windows 10 with apps, but without user data = 62gb usable space
    Of cource this changes with the number and size of installed software.

• JackE

Just saw this. If you haven't done so already, post your display issue on the Mint forums. Try to get a user Altair4 to respond. Seems to knows this kinda stuff with straight-to-the-point answers. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ineuw
    JackE said:

Just saw this. If you haven't done so already, post your display issue on the Mint forums. Try to get a user Altair4 to respond. Seems to knows this kinda stuff with straight-to-the-point answers. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for noticing. No matter how much I fiddle with the display sizes, increasing the percentage of 1920p x 1080p  or decreasing 1280p x 720p, (the only two 16:9 resolutions are available on the laptop), they don't provide me with the visual acuity needed. I am looking for the Radeon software which can modify the EDID to other sizes. My preference would be 1536p x 864p or 1664p x 936p.

Some specs:
    Acer Aspire 5 A515-43-R19L 8Gb RAM
    AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
    Windows 10 Home v2004 build 19041.329
    Radeon software is 20.4.2. AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics

• JackE
    This might help but requires editing your home .profile file for additional resolutions to show up in the display app options. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ineuw
    JackE said:
    This might help but requires editing your home .profile file for additional resolutions to show up in the display app options. Jack E/NJ

This was an either or situation. There is no space for both, so it was reverted a Windows 10 v2004 laptop where the display issue is the same. I have no space for Linux yet. That requires budgetary considerations, but thanks for the info.
  • JackE
    Sure there is. m.2 SSDs are super cheap these days. Besides, if you installed the generic Win10 version using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, you probably won't get the  display options that were available on the  ACER-flavored factory version of Win10 for this machine.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ