Predator PH315-52 GPU fan not going under 2000 rpm even with idle GPU, has a quiet whine sound

rapidspitfire7
rapidspitfire7 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought an acer predator helios 300 laptop for school (engineering program, needed something with power), I am very happy with the specs however whenever I go to the library the GPU fan becomes quite distracting and embarrassing even. I am only using youtube and maybe a couple instances of Microsoft word at this time so my cpu and gpu usage is extremely low as well as my temperatures. I have downloaded things like speedfan and hwmonitor in attempt to lower my fan speeds (2000 rpm seems to be the minimum speed for the gpu fan) but these softwares cannot detect the fans. I have also gone into power options and lowered my clock speed to as much as 30% in attempt to lower the fan speeds however the gpu fan still is at 2000rpm even idle. I really like this laptop but cannot use it for school if I cannot quiet down the fan to near silent, or at least not a high pitch whine when I'm doing low load tasks like watching youtube and typing an assignment. 

Is there any way to lower the minimum rpm? Is this a defective fan that I need to replace? Can i use another brands gpu fan instead to try an achieve this? Thanks, been trying for a few days now with no luck.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,850 Trailblazer
    >>>or at least not a high pitch whine>>>
    Does this seem like a constant whine or variable at low loads? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Khelgar
    Khelgar Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Don't you have PredatorSense app? You can use it to manually set fans to lower levels if temperatures are low.
    I got such annoying variable fan whine noise too with Helios 500 on auto-fan mode and i simply set fans to any manual RPM through that app which came as default.
  • rapidspitfire7
    edited October 2019
    JackE said:
    >>>or at least not a high pitch whine>>>
    Does this seem like a constant whine or variable at low loads? Jack E/NJ
    It's a constant whine even at its lowest speed 2000rpm, it gets more noticeable at higher rpms up even at 2k it's too loud for a library. 

Khelgar said:
    Don't you have PredatorSense app? You can use it to manually set fans to lower levels if temperatures are low.
    I got such annoying variable fan whine noise too with Helios 500 on auto-fan mode and i simply set fans to any manual RPM through that app which came as default.
    Yes I have the PredSense app, I have used "custom" before to set the fans to minimum but the lowest the gpu fan will go is 2000rpm and it makes a noise at that rpm, the gpu in most cases is idle and <30C
  • Jhjh6980
    Jhjh6980 Member Posts: 78 Devotee WiFi Icon
    same for me the fans cannot complete stop

the fan stop when below 27C (imposible)
  • JackE
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'power plan' . Click 'edit power plan' in left pane. Make sure it's in balanced mode. Then click 'change advanced power settings' Click 'process power mgt' folder. Click 'system cooling policy' Change active to passive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jhjh6980
    Jhjh6980 Member Posts: 78 Devotee WiFi Icon
    passive or active don’t fix anything. helios 300 2019 made like that
  • rapidspitfire7
    JackE said:
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'power plan' . Click 'edit power plan' in left pane. Make sure it's in balanced mode. Then click 'change advanced power settings' Click 'process power mgt' folder. Click 'system cooling policy' Change active to passive. Jack E/NJ
    I am on passive :(
  • JackE
    Then try changing from Balanced to the Power Saver mode with same passive cooling settings. You may have to disable fast startup and do slow cold boots for some of these Win power plan advanced setting to kick in. If still no joy, then google 'fan control freeware' and try some that you haven't tried yet. You may get lucky.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rapidspitfire7
    JackE said:
    Then try changing from Balanced to the Power Saver mode with same passive cooling settings. You may have to disable fast startup and do slow cold boots for some of these Win power plan advanced setting to kick in. If still no joy, then google 'fan control freeware' and try some that you haven't tried yet. You may get lucky.  Jack E/NJ

Nothing works :'( GPU fan still whinning even with idle gpu, also have tried 3 softwares now and none detect the fan, msiafterburner, hwmonitor, speedfan
  • rapidspitfire7
    Just disabled my gtx graphics card, still not reducing fan speed... nothing in bios to do this either, anyone know how to? Will need to return within the week before I cannot if not
  • rapidspitfire7
    SOLVED: but not in a good way. The casing is actually whats creating the whistling noise, with the back off the fans just sound like fans, with the backing on, it starts to whistle, must be from the fan pushing air through the narrow slits, and yes everything is extremely clean 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    rapidspitfire7 well gaming laptops were not made to use in quiet places especially school or libraries as stated above <<<even at 2k it's too loud for a library>>> as i said and ill say it again anyone who wants a laptop for school shouldn't get a gaming laptop just get a good normal laptop (there are so many to choose from) they were not made to be silent they are for hard gaming cant understand why everyone keeps complaining about the same it was they choice to buy it no one forced them to instead they should get the proper tools to work according to the ambient you're going to use them on its simple and i understand why acer engineers setup this curve in the new H300 for starters it was a completely redesign from scratch much smaller chassis and thinner than the older heavier and larger 2017/18 H300's so it makes perfect sense to me to have better cooling and keeping the fans running all the time as its much more compact it will heat up in much less time than all the older gens and in my view no matter the amount of complains about it they will not change anything it was designed to work like this its the way its going to stay

I'm pretty sure 99% of the students that buy gaming laptops its mainly to show off but then they forget they wont be able to use it as a normal laptop in class (unless you have really low temps all the time) so i ask myself whats the point unless you can have 2 laptops one for school and one for showing off i doubt many can have it there's really no point this should be planned in the long term not short term any job which requires silence most of the time gaming laptops aren't the solution well i already made my point in other threads and i wont keep punching the same key all over again its everyone's duty to have common sense :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    rapidspitfire7 thats not a fix at all youre just blocking the airflow making it run hotter but yeah its up to you its your money after all but if one day you will have issues that you will have to send it to repair (i hope not) dont tell acer repair you blocked the airflow vents because of the noise they will just probably void your warranty :p and you are the troll here i just state whats obvious to everyone if they dont like it just dont buy the model get either an older one (where you can have the fans off under 40's) or a triton instead or whatever no one is forcing anyone to buy it

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• BONGTUBALINAL
    BONGTUBALINAL Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

xapim said:
    rapidspitfire7 thats not a fix at all youre just blocking the airflow making it run hotter but yeah its up to you its your money after all but if one day you will have issues that you will have to send it to repair (i hope not) dont tell acer repair you blocked the airflow vents because of the noise they will just probably void your warranty :p and you are the troll here i just state whats obvious to everyone if they dont like it just dont buy the model get either an older one (where you can have the fans off under 40's) or a triton instead or whatever no one is forcing anyone to buy it
    I completely agree with xapim here. Helios 300 is a gaming laptop and gaming laptop is tend to be noisy. For those who dont understand that, that's the consequence. Otherwise buy another non-gaming laptop that you can use in such a place and use the other laptop as a show-off. Problem solve...... ;)
  • belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    xapim said:
    I completely agree with xapim here. Helios 300 is a gaming laptop and gaming laptop is tend to be noisy. For those who dont understand that, that's the consequence. Otherwise buy another non-gaming laptop that you can use in such a place and use the other laptop as a show-off. Problem solve...... ;)
    We don't talk about the noise under a load, we talk about the noise on idle. One fan runs at 1680 and another at 2200, we just want to have it at nearly 1200. That's not difficult at all to Acer to fix it but no one cares
  • I would just like to disclose this information contained in the service manual:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    yep and here is fan table for previous helios 300 I found on this forum

This is the problem, in 2019 Helios they added rows for 29 and 37C making gpu fan runs always at 2000, why?
    In Helios 2018 at 45C fans run at 1900 and 2200 and noise is 22db, very quiet
    In Helios 2019 at 45C fans run at 2000 and 2500 and noise is 28db, very loud!
  • Arian777
    Arian777 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    I bought an acer predator helios 300 laptop for school (engineering program, needed something with power), I am very happy with the specs however whenever I go to the library the GPU fan becomes quite distracting and embarrassing even. I am only using youtube and maybe a couple instances of Microsoft word at this time so my cpu and gpu usage is extremely low as well as my temperatures. I have downloaded things like speedfan and hwmonitor in attempt to lower my fan speeds (2000 rpm seems to be the minimum speed for the gpu fan) but these softwares cannot detect the fans. I have also gone into power options and lowered my clock speed to as much as 30% in attempt to lower the fan speeds however the gpu fan still is at 2000rpm even idle. I really like this laptop but cannot use it for school if I cannot quiet down the fan to near silent, or at least not a high pitch whine when I'm doing low load tasks like watching youtube and typing an assignment. 

Is there any way to lower the minimum rpm? Is this a defective fan that I need to replace? Can i use another brands gpu fan instead to try an achieve this? Thanks, been trying for a few days now with no luck.

I think I know what can solve it but ill need some more info regarding your laptop.
    Please post your specs such as :
    GPU
    CPU
    RAM
    these are the main ones.

And what temps do you hit on Idle and what temps do you hit when you game on your Laptop *please turn on predator sense while you game and max out your fans* (a heavy title) both CPU and GPU temps, what settings are you using? Low/medium/high/Ultra? And the FPS (dont cap it please, so dont use V-sync or G-sync or Frame cap). (Play for at least 30min and post your results here) **screenshot of your Predator sense is preferable, I would like to see your temp graph and CPU+GPU usage**

Have a good day!
  • rapidspitfire7
    xapim said:
    Why was my post removed calling you a troll? LOL wow, filtered much
  • rapidspitfire7
    edited October 2019
    I agree that gaming laptops are louder than average, my post that was randomly deleted stated that the design of the casing is the issue here, the slits for airflow are too narrow and with this one fix the noise would be gone, not sure why everyone's spamming that gaming laptops are louder, this is a design flaw. Note: it's only the whistling I cannot live with as it is distracting in quiet (library) environments. Also being able to throttle the gpu down to 600rpm or so could fix the noise as the gpu is often idle when I'm studying. Either of these would work.