Predator PH315-52 GPU fan not going under 2000 rpm even with idle GPU, has a quiet whine sound

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,850 Trailblazer
    rapidspitfire7>>>SOLVED: but not in a good way. The casing is actually whats creating the whistling noise>>>

Good catch. Since you discovered that the airflow resonance through the case's air intake/exhaust ports seemed to be the cause, if it were mine I'd just stick a paper coffee filter over the intake port in the library to cut down airflow. The temperatures won't rise by that much under light load even if it was only passive convection cooling.   :)  Maybe a future BIOS update will allow the Win advanced passive setting to actually work. Don't hold your breath though waiting.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rapidspitfire7
    rapidspitfire7 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    rapidspitfire7>>>SOLVED: but not in a good way. The casing is actually whats creating the whistling noise>>>

Good catch. Since you discovered that the airflow resonance through the case's air intake/exhaust ports seemed to be the cause, if it were mine I'd just stick a paper coffee filter over the intake port in the library to cut down airflow. The temperatures won't rise by that much under light load even if it was only passive convection cooling.   :)  Maybe a future BIOS update will allow the Win advanced passive setting to actually work. Don't hold your breath though waiting.  Jack E/NJ

Thanks dude, the coffee filters a good idea as it will still let some air through :) No-one has to see the bottom :p
  • belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    You can check how it is done under the speakers, there is already a paper so it is a factory solution)