My ES1 511-C35L doesn't get to the bios Screen (Post)

Answers

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    There is a possibility that the bios chip is faulty. it needs to be replaced.
    it is 8 pin chip near the cpu.
    it does not cost much, about a $1 a piece at online stores like aliexpress.com

but programming that new chip with the acer bios will be a problem for you, since you require a ch341A programmer. normally chip level repair guys keep it.

the whole process of programming takes about 5 minutes. and then replacing the chip on the motherboard will take about 10 minutes for a skilled soldering guy.

i have given you the rough cost and time estimates.
    i suggest you take it to Acer service centre , or if that is not possible then take it to a good chip level repair shop and get the repairs done.

My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    Can you recall the approximate date you acquired this laptop? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jgclghrn
    jgclghrn Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I think I bought in in December 2014 unfortunately its not under warranty.
  • JackE
    OK. That timeframe likely means that somewhere along the line the original factory BIOS firmware version somehow got overwritten with a newer version. This sorta complicates matters because firmware updates always carry more risk of creating adverse side effects or worse than regular device driver updates.  While I haven't heard that Win8.1 updates messed with the BIOS firmware, rumors abound that Win10 does. You might've answered this earlier, but were you still running Win8.1 when this issue started? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jgclghrn
    It was running Windows 10 at the time and if I remember correctly my daughter had just finished a feature update to build 1903 followed by the latest cumulative updates. Everything seemed fine until she did one more reboot to run chkdsk. That's when this issue started.
  • JackE
    OK. I suggest trying to clean re-install 1809 assuming all was well with the newer BIOS firmware (however it got on there) before 1903. But Microsoft makes you jump through some hoops to clean install anything but 1903 again from a Windows machine. Ironically if you know somebody with an Apple or Linux machine, it's easy to download 1809 iso directly Microsoft at www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10iso. If you try to do it from a Windows machine, it'll redirect you to the 1903 iso. So if you've only got access to a Windows machine, google "download windows iso without media creation tool". Most methods depend on tricking the Microsoft site that you're running the browser from a Linux or Apple machine. If you're a bit venturesome, you can also get the 1809 iso directly, or even earlier versions, from this link https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php.

Once you have the 1809 iso installation file, you can easily create a bootable 1809 USB stick from it using Rufus. If the newer BIOS firmware isn't actually corrupted but just doesn't want to play nice with 1903, the machine should boot from the 1809 installation stick and allow re-installing 1809 on the HDD.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• No need to have linux! Just press f12, go to network and uncheck automatic selection:

Then select any browser and go to this site: https://www.microsoft.com/pt-br/software-download/windows10
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jgclghrn
    The BIOS in the laptop was updated by me to the latest version very close to when it was purchased many years ago and has been booting correctly until recently. So I'm skeptical your suggestion will change things. The BIOS version on the ACER support site for this laptop hasn't changed since then either. So now that my machine has been reset to the factory default (Windows 8.1) it should work based on your theory shouldn't it? But it doesn't. So the BIOS code must be looking for something to be ready or available before it proceeds to boot the machine. The question is what is it looking for as it loops.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    >>> if I remember correctly my daughter had just finished a feature update to build 1903 followed by the latest cumulative updates. Everything seemed fine until she did one more reboot to run chkdsk. That's when this issue started.>>>
    >>>So now that my machine has been reset to the factory default (Windows 8.1) it should work based on your theory shouldn't it?>>>

Sorry no. The Win8.1 recovery partition was based on the old firmware. Not the newer version. Because of the risks involved, firmware updates are usually meant for machines that have major Win8.1 problems. Your machine originally did NOT at the time. It's up to you on whether or not you want to revert to 1809. I only suggested it after you reported that your daughter encountered the issue after installing 1903. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• jgclghrn
    OK, I will try what you suggest. However, it was running 8.1 when I did the firmware update and has worked until after the W10 feature update.
  • jgclghrn
    To egydiocoelho I can get into the BIOS when the machine occasionaly exits it but your method makes it easier that sitting hitting F2 while I wait to get out of the boot loop.
  • jgclghrn
    OK, I upgraded to 1809 and I still have the problem. So the BIOS code must be looking for something to be ready or available before it proceeds to boot the machine. The question is what is it looking for as it loops. There are no error beeps or messages.
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    1)Your bios is set to which mode ?
    legacy or uefi. ?
    try toggling that.
    2) when you are able to boot in future, go to device manager, and update the firmware driver. 

3) instead of flashing to the latest bios , revert back to the old bios, then flash the next incremental bios first. if it works properly , only then flash to the latest bios for your machine.

My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • JackE
    >>>Everything seemed fine until she did one more reboot to run chkdsk. That's when this issue started.>>>

Does your daughter recall why she ran chkdsk? Was there some kind of error message after the 1903 update? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jgclghrn
    She runs it every so often to check her disk. There was no precursor error message. I don't think it had anything to do with this issue. When the machine started the loop problem chkdsk had not run. It was supposed to run on the reboot when the loop started. However it did run successfully when the machine was able to get out of the loop.
  • jgclghrn
    To Deejay Tech - I already tried toggling the BIOS between legacy and UEFI but problem persisted. I will try going back to an older BIOS and see if there is an update to the firmware manager..
  • jgclghrn
    The system says that my firmware driver is up to date.
  • jgclghrn
    The utility provided by ACER will not let me install a previous BIOS version