Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Acer Spin 5 SP515-51N-54UU - USB-C charging?

Bonesie85Bonesie85 Posts: 5Member New User
Hello all,

I recently purchased an Acer Spin 5 SP515-51N-54UU. It has a USB type C 3.1 gen 2 port. According to the manual I'm supposed to be able to charge the laptop using DC power input over the USB-C. However, whenever I plug in a power input over USB-C, nothing happens. The software itself doesn't tell me the battery is charging and the charging light on the side of the laptop doesn't turn on either. 

Did I do something wrong, is it impossible to charge over USB-C unless I purchase the Acer USB-C wall plug charger, or does the software/charging light simply not register the fact that the battery is being charged over the USB-C connection whilst it is in fact charging? The software does register the battery being charged whenever I plug in the seperate DC-jack from the AC adapter and the charging light does turn on.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

FAQ & Answers

• Hello,
    This series doesn't support P.D. (Power Delivery) through USB-C connector.
  • Bonesie85Bonesie85 Posts: 5Member New User
    thank you for your comment. That's interesting, because the manual says it does. It's one of the reasons I bought the laptop in the first place. 
    the USB-C port on the laptop also has this DC icon next to it.
  • The user manual is for the Nitro 5 Spin (NP515-51) series. Do you see this symbol near the USB-C port?

I'm pretty sure I used the sp515 manual, unless Acer put the wrong document under the sp515 on their website. I'll double check. 

I see both of the symbols you posted next to the USB-c port. Both the TV-like symbol (that I assume stands for displayport output) and the DC symbol that is also next to the jack-port for the AC-adapter. 
  • laurent_14laurent_14 Posts: 7,635ACE Pathfinder
    edited September 12
    Hello,
    I checked in another document and I found this information:
    So you are right. You can charge the battery with an USB-C power adapter. What adapter do you use (brand, P/N)?
    edited September 13
    thanks for looking that up for me. It doesn't have a USB-C power adapter supplied, but that's because the seperate AC-adapter for the DC-jack did come included. I tried to charge with a regular powerbank and the USB-C 45W charger of my phone (Huawei) so far, but to no avail. 

I have an Xlayer 20800 mA powrbank coming in tomorrow or next Moday. This one is supposed to be able to deliver 20V over 2,25A over USB-C, which is similar to the USB-C power adapter on the Acer website. However I think the one I use to charge my phone should also work (as it's also 45W), shouldn't it?
  • Hello,
    You're welcome ;). Yes it should charge the battery but before you have to check the voltage and the current of thie adapter output 20V - 2.25A .