Acer Spin 5 SP515-51N-54UU - USB-C charging?

Bonesie85
Bonesie85 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited September 2019 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello all,

I recently purchased an Acer Spin 5 SP515-51N-54UU. It has a USB type C 3.1 gen 2 port. According to the manual I'm supposed to be able to charge the laptop using DC power input over the USB-C. However, whenever I plug in a power input over USB-C, nothing happens. The software itself doesn't tell me the battery is charging and the charging light on the side of the laptop doesn't turn on either. 

Did I do something wrong, is it impossible to charge over USB-C unless I purchase the Acer USB-C wall plug charger, or does the software/charging light simply not register the fact that the battery is being charged over the USB-C connection whilst it is in fact charging? The software does register the battery being charged whenever I plug in the seperate DC-jack from the AC adapter and the charging light does turn on.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Answers

• Hello,
    This series doesn't support P.D. (Power Delivery) through USB-C connector.
    France
  • Bonesie85

Tinkerer

thank you for your comment. That's interesting, because the manual says it does. It's one of the reasons I bought the laptop in the first place. 
  • Bonesie85

Tinkerer

the USB-C port on the laptop also has this DC icon next to it.
  • The user manual is for the Nitro 5 Spin (NP515-51) series. Do you see this symbol near the USB-C port?

France
  • Bonesie85

Tinkerer

I'm pretty sure I used the sp515 manual, unless Acer put the wrong document under the sp515 on their website. I'll double check. 

I see both of the symbols you posted next to the USB-c port. Both the TV-like symbol (that I assume stands for displayport output) and the DC symbol that is also next to the jack-port for the AC-adapter. 
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,043 Trailblazer
    edited September 2019
    Hello,
    I checked in another document and I found this information:
    So you are right. You can charge the battery with an USB-C power adapter. What adapter do you use (brand, P/N)?
    France
  • Bonesie85

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    thanks for looking that up for me. It doesn't have a USB-C power adapter supplied, but that's because the seperate AC-adapter for the DC-jack did come included. I tried to charge with a regular powerbank and the USB-C 45W charger of my phone (Huawei) so far, but to no avail. 

I have an Xlayer 20800 mA powrbank coming in tomorrow or next Moday. This one is supposed to be able to deliver 20V over 2,25A over USB-C, which is similar to the USB-C power adapter on the Acer website. However I think the one I use to charge my phone should also work (as it's also 45W), shouldn't it?
  • Hello,
    You're welcome ;). Yes it should charge the battery but before you have to check the voltage and the current of thie adapter output 20V - 2.25A .
    France
  • Myusuf05
    Myusuf05 Member Posts: 1 New User
    If im not mistaken, its mentionned somewhere that you can only charge through type-C when its powered off
  • Jake1814
    Jake1814 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Bonesie85 said:
    thanks for looking that up for me. It doesn't have a USB-C power adapter supplied, but that's because the seperate AC-adapter for the DC-jack did come included. I tried to charge with a regular powerbank and the USB-C 45W charger of my phone (Huawei) so far, but to no avail. 

I have an Xlayer 20800 mA powrbank coming in tomorrow or next Moday. This one is supposed to be able to deliver 20V over 2,25A over USB-C, which is similar to the USB-C power adapter on the Acer website. However I think the one I use to charge my phone should also work (as it's also 45W), shouldn't it?
    Did you ever figure out if you could charge through thunderbolt? I'm looking to buy the same laptop. Also how are you liking it?
  • Bonesie85

Tinkerer

It's not thunderbolt, it's USB-C. Yes, it does charge over USB-c as long as you make sure you have a power source able to produce 20V 2,25A over USB-C. I've had the laptop for a while now and I do like it. It's working great. 
  • Armagedon
    Armagedon Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi guys, I was wondering can I charge my Acer spin 5 i7,with my 66w Honor phone charger tru the USB C port and which one of  the two,thanks  in advance!?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    We need to know what model of Spin 5 you have, there have been literally hundreds of different SKUs over the years, many of which have i7s, and all of which have slightly different specs. The model number should be something like SP5xx-xxx-xxxx and it should be shown on the same sticker as the SN and SNID.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.