Predator 17 G9-791-72C4 Won't Turn On

Eagles
Eagles Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey, so as of yesterday my predator 17 G9-791-72C4 won't turn on.
I've had it for just over 3 years now, so well and truly out of warranty. But i figure 3 years isn't too long for it to start playing up, especially when I hadn't seen any signs of system failure until last week.
A bit of background, I bought this laptop when I still lived in New Zealand, but have since moved to Germany and been using it with a plug adapter to go from A/NZ plugs to EU plug sizes. I've been using the adapter for at least 2 months without issue (but i wouldn't be surprised if it was the different plug types that might have caused an issue).
Last week, Thursday to be exact, I was playing Classic WoW for roughly an hour when my laptop randomly turned off (no error screen or freezing) and wouldn't turn on again straight away. First thought was that the battery drained too quickly and so I checked over the sockets and that the cord was in properly then left it for a while. Coming back the laptop turned on like normal and I continued to play until I got another crash within an hour. This time I figured it was an overheating problem so I took off the covers and cleaned the fans which had a lot of dust. Tried playing again and got a crash again after an hour or so. I left it off for the day.
On Friday I tried again. I got the crash, so pulled the covers off and double checked the fans and to see if I missed anything, I thought about pulling out the fans to give the insides a good clean but didn't feel confident on doing so. Once I turned the laptop back on I look into the power settings and set the CPU power to 98% and changed it from active to the same setting as the when on battery - that is changing from active to passive which I believe limited the CPU. I then would keep Predator Sense running and monitored the CPU and system temperatures, which looked like they were only getting to a max of 75c (ish) at this point and the CPU being limited to 2500mhz.
I didn't have a chance to properly test it until Monday, however on Sunday I spent the afternoon and evening watching Netflix without any crashing issues (over 8 hours of being on and used yet not using CPU intensive programs nor the GTX980).
Come to yesterday (Monday) I tried playing WoW again with Predator Sense running at all times, watching the temperatures every minute or so, the CPU and System temperature would generally sit around 62-65c with the rare CPU jump to low 70s. However after about 2, maybe 3, hours my laptop crashed again even with the temperature still being in what I would consider safe ranges (unless it jumped wildly up in less than a minute). I did my usual leave it alone for a while, yet when I came back it would not turn on both with the power cord in and on battery, the battery charging light does not turn on when plugged it. It has been bricked. It's been like this for almost 24 hours now. There was no smell of fried parts, but I haven't opened the case yet to see properly. I tried the paperclip in the battery reset for 4 seconds and wait 5 minutes then try but the laptop is still bricked.
I know the power adaptor still works as I have my older laptop plugged into it right now as I type this out.

I'm kind of at a loss now, would anyone have any advice for me on A. What the issue would've been, and B. How to go about un-bricking my laptop?

Thanks!

Answers

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Eagles
    Eagles Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the reply. While it does seem similar, my laptop turned off straight away instead of freezing like his. Would that difference matter? 
    Also, because it was turning off a few days before as well but could be turned back on an hour later it makes me think it could be something else. But I really don't know a lot about crashes. 
    I'm happy to try the battery fix, but do you think it'll be solving the root cause? 
  • I'm not sure. But I think you should try the above solutions.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)