My Predator G9-791 won't turn on

Options
SuedShadow
SuedShadow Member Posts: 6 New User
Recently (saturday) my Predator G9-791 laptop stopped working and now i need help to see if i can get it starting again.

How it happened: I was playing PUBG and suddenly the screen froze for about 15 seconds, then i shut itself off. Then it became impossible to turn on again.

Symptoms: It is 100% turned off. It won't react to the power button, and no lights react at all, even when plugging in power. Neither will it charge phones and other devices when plugged in.

What i have done different lately: I updated my nvidia driver to be able to play the new Battlefield Beta, and downloaded that game making my PC slightly full. Also it was close to fully charged.

What i have tried: I have tried to reset the battery by using a pin into the small hole under the computer, and i have tried installing an old bio to reset it ( I've had problems before that these solutions worked ). Neither of these worked at all, the PC did not react at all.

Solutions that might work: I read a page that says that i should take out the battery, hold power button and put it back in. But then again I'm afraid that might make the warranty invalid because i would need to open up and take out different stuff. Additionally this might not work, so breaking the warranty and not fixing the PC would be pretty stupid. Not sure about if this affects the warranty so need slight help here too if this is the right way to fix the PC.

So are there any ways to fix this problem myself or do i need to send it in for repair?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Options
    SuedShadow 
    This seems to be with internal hardware, however  once more please try a simple power reset. Disconnect the charger. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device. The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and check the issue. 
    Power reset will stimulate same as removing and inserting the battery. Also, check if the charger is working in another wall outlet.

If the device still does not power On, please contact Acer support in your region to check for further option to fix it.
    Acer Norway : https://www.acer.com/ac/no/NO/content/support
    Acer worldwide : http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Check if there is any power interrupt button like the photo:

Usually located next to ram!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SuedShadow
    Options
    Sharanji
    This is what i said that i have already tried, but i tried again a few motr times and it still didn't work. It would work on a problem i had a while ago tho. As for the charger, i got no other way to test if it works at the moment, but i will try to find something to check it with. As for contacting acer, i will do that when i got the time. Thanks for the answer.

Egydiocoelho
    To check this, do i have to open the biggest part on the bottom of the pc? And this doesn't affect the warranty in any ways? I'm kinda afraid to void the warranty by opening wrong stuff.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It does not void the warranty, but do it carefully! Just open this compartment and check next to the ram there is this button!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SuedShadow
    Options
    A little unsure where you wanted me to look since it seems slightly different, or do i have to open it even more? Thanks for trying so hard :)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It seems to me that this is the power interruption button! See if by putting some layers of insulation tape in the part of the compartment that presses this button, it solves the problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SuedShadow
    Options
    Tried to do as you said but it still does not respond. Chances that i did it wrong is big too tough. Tried with opened and locked, the part that i opened to see inside.
    It could also be that the motherboard or something stopped working and making it impossible for me to fix?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you tell me which error code was shown?
    There may actually be some faulty hardware! If by pressing the power interruption button, the computer did not power on, I recommend that you call technical support to have the notebook repaired!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    If the warranty is to be triggered, remove the insulation tape and any extra hardware placed after purchasing the notebook because the notebook should be sent to the service center as it came from the factory!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SuedShadow
    Options
    There were no error code, computer simply froze for 15 seconds and turned itself off. It hasn't responded since, even when trying all these things.
    Seems like i have to send it to repair after all, which i didn't want because it always take long time, even if it is just transporting it.
    Thank you very much for your time and help :) .

If people got other solutions I'm happy to try, since i won't be able to send it to repair for a couple of days anyway.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    If you want you can try opening the notebook and removing the battery! However, it is important that you talk to technical support and ask if opening the notebook will void your warranty or not! Come back here with the answer so we can help you!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SuedShadow
    Options
    I will most likely not try to remove the battery, and I will just send it to repair. The reason I believed removing the battery might help is due to a site that says:

Power circuit in wrong state or Over volt protection trips; you press the power button but nothing happens, laptop Acer Predator G9-791 won’t turns on and there is no display just a black screen, your laptop has static electric charge made power circuit in wrong state. Unplug AC adapter, take out the battery and hold down power button for 30 seconds, the static charge will dissipate. Plug in the AC Adapter and turn on your laptop Acer Predator G9-791. This should restore the system to normal operating mode.

As I'm not even sure what the real problem is, this was one of the few things that seems similar to my problem and that I could do without using tools that I don't have.

Here is the link to that site (not sure if I'm allowed the link other sites on this forum, and if I'm not, please ask mod to remove link/comment)

Thanks anyways :)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Static power can interfere with notebook operation! The procedure they indicate is correct, so by pressing the power button, you eliminate static power from the motherboard!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Legend27
    Legend27 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    A bit late but has the problem been solved for you yet? I’m having the same problem...
  • DrTamim
    DrTamim Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    Options
    me too i have same problem ,, did u solved yours ?
  • Lileth
    Lileth Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I have a 2016 G9-791-77VY and i was writing an email it just died, it had orange batt light prior to dying and I did the batt reset routine but it did not come back on. I recently installed a few Avast products, anti virus, VPN + cleanup and I found it behaved strangely after this but not switching itself off or anything. I tend to unplug the mains once the batt light is red(full) and use it till its nearly out, but recently it would notify me of low battery which generally gives you a few moments to plug in but it was turning itself off before I could plug it in. Now, it was on orange, no warning, died completely and I cannot get it back on to even do f10 or anything.  Any ideas peeps?? TY in advance. Lileth
  • beretta8
    beretta8 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I had the same issue, one day it shut off and wouldn't power up. Long story short (ctbs) as a last resort bought a new battery off amazon, put it in and tada I'm typing this message on it. I tried all of the above suggestions and tried a new power connector to the mb.
  • beretta8
    Options
    PS this happened 3 years ago, being stubborn I kept my laptop for eventual answers. It dawned on me maybe battery was shot. So glad that was the answer. Perhaps you all are a bit like me and still have yours....hope it works out
  • beretta8
    Options
    bought this
  • bbalan001
    bbalan001 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hey guys if anyone's still reading this thread my G9-793 won't turn on, I've still got power as the charging light is working and when I use the charging usb out it works unplugged and plugged in still to charge my phone. Seems to be a power button ??