SW5-173 Will not boot after latest Windows update

tbctc1983
tbctc1983 Member Posts: 11 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I bought this laptop new and it has always worked flawlessly. After the most recent Windows update (1904 I believe) it would not boot from "off".  It will reboot, and I can get it to boot up if I go into the CMOS and reset to default settings. Then I turn it off and try to restart and it hangs at the Acer logo and the turning dots make one half turn.
Is there a way to boot from USB? Any ideas?

Answers

• Have you tried resetting the internal battery?
    Also, have you tried reinstalling windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?
    https://youtu.be/IFuWwuc2oH4
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • tbctc1983
    The reset is on the side of the screen on the SW5. I tried that and had the same result. I tried Alt + F10 and it said "Please wait" then two dots and froze.
  • Does the problem occur when you connect the keyboard?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • tbctc1983
    It happens with or without keyboard. 
  • What happens when you restart by pressing the shift key?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tbctc1983
    Same thing. I can get it to go into the BIOS, reset defaults and boot up. It will restart fine. The problem is that when I turn it off it will hang on boot up when turning it on. Then I have to go into the BIOS reset defaults and then boot up. 
  • In other topics, there are several users reporting that they cannot install windows 10 1903 because of the graphics card driver. Have you tried using repair through a microsoft iso?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tbctc1983
    I have not tried that. Are there directions on MS website?
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tbctc1983
    Hey thank you very much. Right location and link, but unfortunately no fix. Just a work around.
  • This model came with windows 8 and then you upgraded to windows 10?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tbctc1983
    No I think this came with windows 10
  • The windows recovery menu appears when you force shutdown by pressing the power button?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tbctc1983
    No it does not
  • OK! I think you should insert a windows iso into the flash drive and use the recovery options:
    To do this, do the following:
    a) open the power shell as administrator and plug in the flash drive:

b) then download an x64 only iso and extract it to the USB stick: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    c) go to the bios and put the flash drive first at boot and save on exit.
    d) Within the installation, access the windows recovery options.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,899 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    The update you are talking about is the v1903 which was the last version released by MS but, you should always do a backup of your system prior to an update like that! A great program is "Macrium Reflect v7" that lets you do a clone of your system (this in the free version) it also has a feature of a USB boot drive that is called "Win PE" or you can have that same feature imbedded into the boot screen of your Windows 10 so that you can restore your system when things like his happen or you get the BDOS blue screens. 

To fix this try the following as you might have corrupted files:
    If you get an error code while downloading and installing Windows updates, the Update Troubleshooter can help resolve the problem. Make sure you have internet access, then download the Update Troubleshooter version that matches your version of Windows.
           • Download Update Troubleshooter for Windows 10 - https://aka.ms/wudiag  
           • Download Update Troubleshooter for Windows 7 and Windows 8 - https://aka.ms/diag_wu  
    2. Run the troubleshooter. When it's done, it's best practice to restart your device. Then check for new updates. Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update , then select Check for updates and install any available updates.
    3. If the problems aren't all resolved, try running the troubleshooter again to check for additional errors. Or see Fix Windows Update errors and follow the troubleshooting steps - https://support.microsoft.com/help/10164 
    4. For more Windows Update troubleshooting info, see Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10 - https://support.microsoft.com/help/4089834/windows-10-troubleshoot-problems-updating. For info on upgrading to Windows 10, see Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ - https://support.microsoft.com/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq 
    5. If that dosent solve your problem then go to MS here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download the Update Assistant, that can help you update to the latest version of Windows 10. To get startedv1903 "
    Windows 10 May 2019 Update" tool and reinstall this update again.