SF114-32 no uefi menu

mdq10
mdq10 Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Pressing F2 gives me a cursor on upper left corner.

I removed windows from EMMC and installed void linux. I don't know why modifying EMMC leaves the UEFI menu inaccesible as I would think all the code would reside on NOR Flash .

Now I can not boot anymore, so I need to access bios menu with F2 to enable boot menu. Any technical help is appreciated.

I tried the method of downloading the BIOS update from the website and renaming the isflash.bin to SapporoGL.fd and put on FAT32 USB disk. Then booted pressing fn+esc. The power light blinks, I guess something is going on there, it recognized the .fd file. At the end the system still does not boot and uefi menu is inaccesible.

I think for some reason uefi menu needs some part on the EMMC to execute properly.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    >>>I think for some reason uefi menu needs some part on the EMMC to execute properly.

Yes, you likely wiped the emmc's efi system partition. UEFI bootstrapper looks for a trusted file in this partition in order to boot the OS. You may be able to install a Linux installation iso and repopulate this efi partition with a trusted grubx.efi file using a GPT partitioned FAT32 USB stick prepared with Rufus freeware. Jack E/NJ

PS: You must start mashing the F2 key immediately after pressing the power button to enter the BIOS menu. Don't wait for a cursor or anything else to appear.

Jack E/NJ

• mdq10
    Thanks JackE, there is an EFI system partition on eMMC. I was modifying the boot settings with 'efibootmgr' for a kernel efistub before it bricked. I remember I didn't have access to UEFI menu before this happened, but I was defiant haha

For some reason the boot menu option got disabled also. so no more F12 key to boot from USB drive.

The problem now is that I can't boot , neither enter UEFI settings menu to enable boot menu. I am stuck :) the motherboard has a soldered eMMC so I can't swap drives either.

I am an electrical engineer, I am not afraid to flash the SPI chip, although I am not sure it will fix as it is looking for trusted file on eMMC as you said. 

I think at this point my aim should be to enter UEFI menu somehow. I was able to burn spi flash with FN+ESC method, led blinks and I notice BIOS version < 1.03 I can access BIOS menu but it is empty. 1.07 and 1.09 pressing F2 just outputs a cursor.

If I can fix it, I will put an M2 drive and leave the eMMC alone, I really didn't expect UEFI would have this unexpected behaviour. It is really challenging to use this hardware outside the Windows Acer supports.

• JackE
    >>>I can access BIOS menu but it is empty. >>>

What do you mean? No tabs? No emmc entries? No SF114 model or serial number? No nothing? A blank blue screen with no text? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mdq10
    I can see text menu but it is empty. Similar to this:
    https://github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt/issues/400
    Look at the first picture, I get something similar on BIOS < 1.07, >1.07 I get a single underscore character on upper left corner.

By the way, this difference in behaviour is the only indication I have that I can still upload firmware with FN+ESC method.
  • JackE
    >>>I removed windows from EMMC and installed void linux. >>>
    Did the installation stick seem to install OK with no complaints? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Also, I do not recommend that you use the fn + esc command as your uefi is not corrupted. Have you tried disconnecting the rtc battery to reset uefi parameters?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mdq10
    Hi Egydio, sorry about the duplicate topics, I didn't get any responses there, can we delete it?

The efi parameters are stored in non-volatile NOR flash in my system and I think most of modern systems. Disconnecting the battery and RTC battery does not work anymore because the NOR flash will keep its data for years. It used to work in the old days when BIOS settings were stored in a RAM type powered by CMOS battery.

What I am trying now is using H2OUVE software, it apparently lets you change default uefi settings from a nice GUI. This way I can enable the boot menu as default setting on SapporoGL.fd file and upload it using FN+ESC.

Furthermore, you can unlock the BIOS and have access to all advanced settings. 
    I had no intention to foul around with firmware but I have no choice. The way Acer is shipping these systems, they don't even consider you want to use the hardware as a free individual with software of your choice.
  • Yes, but the basic parameters of uefi will be reset. Also, see this topic: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534756/cant-get-into-bios-after-linux-install-attempt/p2

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Agree with egydiocoelho  Unplug the coin cell connector anyway. Then short out its pins on the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mdq10
    regarding (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534756/cant-get-into-bios-after-linux-install-attempt/p2)

This would be interesting to try, if another user can send me the EFI partition I could try it. I don't have efi partition anymore.
  • mdq10
    JackE said:
    Agree with egydiocoelho  Unplug the coin cell connector anyway. Then short out its pins on the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Hi JackE, This attempt did not fix the problem. UEFI menu is inaccesible, no boot menu.