Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Can't get into BIOS after Linux install attempt

2»

FAQ & Answers

• RigacciOrgRigacciOrg Posts: 2Member New User
    Problem solved for me. I was lucky enough beacause the notebook is bootable in GNU/Linux and I have another identical notebook to copy the missing softare from.
    It seems that the "missing" BIOS (solid white cursor in upper-left black screen) is caused by the installation procedure I used, which wiped out all the partitions from the disk, even the first one containing the BOOT/ESP. The Debian installation just installed its boot code, into the /EFI/debian/ directory.
    From the running notebook I copied the other subdirectories: /EFI/Boot/, /EFI/Microsoft/ and /EFI/OEM/ and placed them into the BIOS-missing notebook (when booted in GNU/Linux the FAT32 partition in mounted under /boot/efi/). After that, the F2 BIOS returned operational.
    I suppose that the actually required directory is /EFI/OEM/, I suppose also that it is possibile to register Debian as a boot option, remove Microsoft Windows from boot options (it is no longer present on the hard disk) and finally enable the secure boot. But for the moment I'm happy to have F2 working and GNU/Linux bootable.