Upgrading Predator Orion 9000-600 from 8700k to 9900k

Dauphinois
Dauphinois Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my Predator Orion 9000-600 from i7-8700k to i9-9900k.
I don't remember any models were sold with i9-9900k.

Has anyone already done it? Any suggestions if it is possible?
Will the motherboard support it?
The cooling has been greatly improved with 4 new Fractal X2 120 and 2 140 mm.

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The PO9-600_RGB version supports this processor, see:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓
    It even shows the compatible bios review! In addition, according to the service manuals, both model po9-600 and model po9-600_rgb have the same motherboard M / B 1151.Z37H4-AA (1.1) .... (INTEL Z370 / ALC1220) . Now are the reviews the same?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Boy, that's a good question. Acer has released a couple of BIOS updates for that motherboard, and it does use the Z370 chipset, but they don't say that any of those BIOS updates included support for the 9th gen CPUs. So, the hardware is there to run either but until someone tries it we won't know if the BIOS does. I'll make some inquiries, but don't know if there will be a definitive answer...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    The PO9-600_RGB version supports this processor, see:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓
    It even shows the compatible bios review! In addition, according to the service manuals, both model po9-600 and model po9-600_rgb have the same motherboard M / B 1151.Z37H4-AA (1.1) .... (INTEL Z370 / ALC1220) . Now are the reviews the same?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dauphinois
    Thanks egydiocoelho and billsey for investigating that question.

Next step is now to find someone or a local shop willing to trade my CPU for 9900k.
    I let you know if it works or not.
  • Dauphinois

Next step is now to find someone or a local shop willing to trade my CPU for 9900k.
  • Dauphinois

• Dauphinois
    I have ordered the i9-9900k.

I see now that Acer is shipping several models with that CPU even though they are still using a z370 motherboard.
    From the description, it seems to be the same motherboard.

I have done some CPU stressing tests with the i7-8700k and noticed that one VRM temp was getting around 60C and and it was triggering some Motherboard VR Throttling error in XTU. After directing some fresh air over it, the temp went down to around 45C.

I will do further testing once the i9-9900k is installed.
  • Post the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dauphinois
    Hi,

The CPU swap does not work yet.

I get the desktop starting for 1 sec then it stops. There is an yellow led turning on for 5 sec at the bottom of the motherboard above Rom switch but no beep and no error code.
    I have reinstalled the 9900k, but it is the same result. I have tried also to clear cmos, but still no success.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• What is the version of uefi bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dauphinois
    I have upgraded recently to the latest,
    R01-A4.
  • Dauphinois

I have swapped back to 8700k with no issues after adjusting the bios settings.
    There are 2 bios versions, R01-A4 and R01-A2. None of them were working.

Is there some other firmwares to upgrade?
  • The PO9-600_RGB models certainly support this processor. Now why is there no version of uefio-bios to download from the PO9-600_RGB link? Is it possible that the model PO9-600 could be upgraded to the same version of uefi-bios model PO9-600_RGB?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dauphinois
    I will flash the 2 bios roms with the latest bios version. Let's see if it resolved the issue.
    Anyone could share the service manual of PO9-600 so you could troubleshoot faster?
  • Dauphinois
    I have flashed the 2 Bios with the latest version R01-A4 from Acer web site, but still no success.
    Failing to backup Bios also did not help.

Still the same behavior, start and shut down after 1 sec and nothing else happens.

Is there anyone (egydiocoelho?) that could share the service manual of the original PO9-600 so I could troubleshoot further?
    Maybe there is an extra step of clearing some parameter first having an overview of the motherboard would help.
  • Unfortunately it is not possible to provide the service guide. But it is strange that there is no bios version available for the po6-600_rgb model. 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dauphinois
    I have kept troubleshooting the issue.

I have removed one by one each component without success.

The yellow turning on close to Bios switch can be guessed to be Bios error light. 

One German PC Magazin seems to have reviewed the new model few weeks ago. Let's hope they release the new Bios quickly.
  • Can you inform the German PC Magazin link?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• I think the link should be referring to the po9-600-rgb model.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer